View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble connecting to wifi with 192.168.0.x addresses

March 29th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I've happened across a wireless router that has a gateway address of and allots IPs from

My laptop wouldn't connect to it automatically, so I was playing around and found that it needed 0.x instead of 1.x

I thought the network manager on ubuntu would have figured that out?!

Now its a separate story that the router happens to have no admin password :twisted:

March 30th, 2010, 02:11 AM
You're suggesting that this isn't your router...
You ARE aware that it (still) isn't legal to use it without permission - even if it doesn't have administrative password?

April 22nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
It's a Cafe's router. I'm using it legally after buying coffee and not sitting there for an inordinate amount of time.. geez! :) I plan to advise them on their router situation the next time I'm there. It's just a local cafe with wonderfully sweet WPA2 passwords.

My symbian phone also seems to have a problem with connecting, although I see Windoze users happily tapping away at InternetExplorer :confused:

April 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Could well be the dhcp client on your computer. I had this problem once. Turned out I needed another linux dhcp client. No good to you since you cannot connect but hey, here to help.

April 22nd, 2010, 11:04 PM
Sounds like you've paid for access rights... :)
I'm not sure why 192.168.0.x addresses should cause a problem. I doubt it'll help, but here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8703594&postcount=26) is something to try with your next cup of their coffee...