PDA

View Full Version : Is There Anything VLC Won't Do For A Guy?

derekeverett
March 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM
It was a few years back now when I first discovered VLC. I was a mac guy then and there were video files that Quicktime just wouldn't easily play. VLC came and saved the day. I was happy.

In time I became quite impressed with all it's options and tools. The day I discovered how easily it played DVD .iso images was a fine day indeed. It became my primary media app.

Since that time I have used it on many occasions to convert files. I was tickled pink to discover that it would play the .mod files that my cam produces. I was over the moon when I discovered the ease with which it converted .mod to a more favorable file type.

This all was plenty for me to call VLC my best friend. Imagine my delight to discover that VLC makes a mean bacon and eggs. I didn't even have any bacon in the house but that didn't seem to hinder it from serving up a fulfilling meal.

Lately VLC has been a godsend. It vacuums the floor when it's dirty, puts gas in my car when the tank is running low, and even gave me the best haircut I've had.

As if all this wasn't enough, somebody I don't much care for sent me a video this morning they had shot with their hand held communications device. I was dismayed at it's arrival and further put off by this dreadful "3gp" file type. Against my better judgement, I went to open it in VLC.

This is when I knew VLC truly cared for me. You know what? It did not play. VLC simply will not play that stupid video made by that horrible person. That my friends, is the hallmark of a truly wonderful software application. Everything you want, and not a drop of what you don't.

Had to share.

uberlube
March 29th, 2010, 06:21 PM
+1
Also did u know that the devs are working on a non-linear video editor? Id wager itll be better than openshot.

_h_
March 29th, 2010, 06:23 PM
VLC = <3.

Plain and simple.

derekeverett
March 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM
+1
Also did u know that the devs are working on a non-linear video editor? Id wager itll be better than openshot.

I did hear something about that - and can't wait!

I've only discovered Openshot in the last couple weeks, I'm really liking it too!

Doctor Mike
March 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I did hear something about that - and can't wait!

I've only discovered Openshot in the last couple weeks, I'm really liking it too!It won't divorce you... VLC that is, and it's a lousy carpet cleaner... Best I can do.

Pauly BC
March 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Sure it may be an excellent multimedia player, but can it empty the cat litter box? No... Wash the dishes? No... Shovel snow? No...

I want my robot servant! And I want it to run VLC!

VLC +1!

ctrlmd
March 29th, 2010, 07:16 PM
yeah it always provide low quality picture compared to other players like wmp

example
http://i44.tinypic.com/148hcol.png

doas777
March 29th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Re: Is There Anything VLC Won't Do For A Guy?

dither blacks correctly.

Linuxforall
March 29th, 2010, 08:41 PM
VDPAU.........still waiting for support, thank heavens for Mplayer.

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 08:44 PM
When ever I used it on Windows the audio wouldn't sync up with the video. I have not had this problem with any other combination of OS/player other than XP/VLC

blur xc
March 29th, 2010, 08:52 PM
It was a few years back now when I first discovered VLC. I was a mac guy then and there were video files that Quicktime just wouldn't easily play. VLC came and saved the day. I was happy.

In time I became quite impressed with all it's options and tools. The day I discovered how easily it played DVD .iso images was a fine day indeed. It became my primary media app.

Since that time I have used it on many occasions to convert files. I was tickled pink to discover that it would play the .mod files that my cam produces. I was over the moon when I discovered the ease with which it converted .mod to a more favorable file type.

This all was plenty for me to call VLC my best friend. Imagine my delight to discover that VLC makes a mean bacon and eggs. I didn't even have any bacon in the house but that didn't seem to hinder it from serving up a fulfilling meal.

Lately VLC has been a godsend. It vacuums the floor when it's dirty, puts gas in my car when the tank is running low, and even gave me the best haircut I've had.

As if all this wasn't enough, somebody I don't much care for sent me a video this morning they had shot with their hand held communications device. I was dismayed at it's arrival and further put off by this dreadful "3gp" file type. Against my better judgement, I went to open it in VLC.

This is when I knew VLC truly cared for me. You know what? It did not play. VLC simply will not play that stupid video made by that horrible person. That my friends, is the hallmark of a truly wonderful software application. Everything you want, and not a drop of what you don't.

Had to share.

Ok - it's in Windows but VLC will play my 3gp videos shot from my cell phone (why? why that format???). It spits out an error- says that there's no solution to the problem, and then plays the video anyway. Go figure.

BM