PDA

View Full Version : In idiot, can someone explain what swap does?

themarker0
March 29th, 2010, 06:07 PM
As basic as you can. I left about a gig for mine. Is that enough?

_h_
March 29th, 2010, 06:10 PM
It's what your system uses when it runs out of available RAM, it starts using swap space to act like RAM.

1GB swap space is good if you don't mind the space loss and have low amount of RAM. People with higher amounts of RAM will want like 256mb-500mb of swap space as reserve since most of them don't use all their available.

It's basically like the Windows paging file, for Linux.

lisati
March 29th, 2010, 06:11 PM
A swap partition is associated with memory management, and can help ease the pressure on your system when you're doing things which require a lot of memory.

(I'm talking RAM here, not disk space)

doas777
March 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM
swap is a way to pretend you have more ram than you do.
when your ram is getting full, the system will take chuncks of the data in ram, and save it to the harddisk, but still arranged like it was in ram(ram stores "pages" of data).

that way it can clear room for somthing else. whenever it needs data that has been swapped to the hard disk, it just clears out enough ram for the info (probably by putting differant data to the disk), it retrieves the info off the disk and places it back in ram.

Cam42
March 29th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah, as a general rule, Memory is RAM, and storage is disk space.

themarker0
March 29th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Ah thank you. So having a gig would be fine then (250 drive, i'll never use it all :P)

tica vun
March 29th, 2010, 06:22 PM
If you have sufficient ram (2GB should suffice for normal desktop usage), you probably don't even need swap unless you hibernate your computer.

_h_
Ah thank you. So having a gig would be fine then (250 drive, i'll never use it all :P)

Drive space has nothing to do with it. Swap space is used when your physical RAM is depleted, and your system starts using swap to act as RAM.

themarker0
If you have sufficient ram (2GB should suffice for normal desktop usage), you probably don't even need swap unless you hibernate your computer.

I only have 1.5gb.

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM
You should have 2x more swap space than RAM. If you have 512 MB RAM then 1GB swap is fine. 1GB RAM 2GB swap, and so on.

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I only have 1.5gb.

3GB swap is what you want.

MaxIBoy
March 29th, 2010, 06:28 PM
If you ever plan to hibernate (not the same as suspend, with hibernate you can cut off power as well,) then you need at least twice as much swap as RAM. But if you don't need that capability, then you don't actually need that much and a gig of swap is fine. And keep in mind that restoring from hibernate is actually slower than a normal boot, so hibernate isn't really needed. I'd say a gig of swap is probably good enough.

ikt
March 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
You should have 2x more swap space than RAM. If you have 512 MB RAM then 1GB swap is fine. 1GB RAM 2GB swap, and so on.

I believe this general rule becomes outdated once you reach 2gb of ram.

I have 4gb of ram and see no need for 8gb of swap.

Sef
March 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM

That is not true today. Normally, unless one wants to put it in as a safety measure, or wants to hibernate, then swap is not needed. Certain exceptions apply for graphic intensive applications.

As a safety measure, I would recommend, I gb swap, but for most people it is more of a security blanket than need.

For hibernation, you swap should be the same size as the amount of ram you have.

Read the swapfaq (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq).

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 06:59 PM
That is not true today. Normally, unless one wants to put it in as a safety measure, or wants to hibernate, then swap is not needed. Certain exceptions apply for graphic intensive applications.

As a safety measure, I would recommend, I gb swap, but for most people it is more of a security blanket than need.

For hibernation, you swap should be the same size as the amount of ram you have.

Read the swapfaq (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq).

As a rule of thumb 2x swap is the safest bet. We all know it is better to have something, and not need it, than to need something and not have it.

koenn
March 29th, 2010, 07:07 PM

+1

the swap=RAMx2 rule is from way back, when you could still actually run out of RAM by running just a few programs.

Also, swap is on disk. It's slow. If you think of the seek and read times associated with disk access, you really don't want to have that much swap - it's not really useful.

At most, you need some swap to keep your PC from hanging when the RAM is all used up, so that it remains responsive while you kill a couple of processes.

koenn
March 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM
As a rule of thumb 2x swap is the safest bet. We all know it is better to have something, and not need it, than to need something and not have it.

8GB of swap just because you have 4 GB of RAM, is a waste of disk space.

doas777
March 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM
i've always been told 1.5x ram for swap, is needed for hibernation and whatnot. the actual formula would be:

x >= used-ram + currently-paged-ram

so 1x is not sufficient if any paging is already being done and ram is nearly full. 2x is just being extra safe.

I may not need it, but i am much more likely to accidentally click Hibernate, than I am to actually need that 2-5GB disk space these days.

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, but if you get to the point where 8GB of space will make or break you, then your going to have to buy a new drive anyways. I can't see some one with 4GB of RAM having storage issues anyways. Usually people with 4GB RAM have huge hard drives to go with it. I have 4GB RAM and 1.5TB storage.

koenn
March 29th, 2010, 07:39 PM
not trying to be disagreable either, but 8 GB is 10 CD images, or hundreds of pictures, or an awful lot of documents. If I'm busy with something and I need that space and it isn't there, right now, unused swap is a waste of space, whether or not I was planning to get extra disks in a few weeks.

Except for the obvious examples (hibernation, servers/hypervisors that need to stay up no matter what), by the time you're actually using 1GB of swap, you'll computer be so slow you'll think it's crashing, and you'll reboot it to fix the issue. The additional 5 or 6 or 7 GB of swap never get used.

Warpnow
March 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM
People with big hard drives run out of space, too. My 750gb hard drive had 0 bytes left free yesterday. Causes alot of odd errors. I had to start deleting things. Oddly, thunar wouldn't trash the files because it couldn't copy them or something. Had to drop into a terminal and use rm.

lisati
March 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM

:) Random musing: On my old desktop, which I sometimes power up as a backup for my server, an 8Gb swap partition would be, well, impossible as well as unnecessary. It has 64Mb RAM and a 3Gb hard drive. The machine is showing its age, but still works well enough for occasional use.

mkendall
March 30th, 2010, 01:56 AM
As basic as you can. I left about a gig for mine. Is that enough?

Swap is the sticky note for when your computer is doing more at once than it can remember.

ikt
March 30th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I'm not trying to be disagreeable, but if you get to the point where 8GB of space will make or break you, then your going to have to buy a new drive anyways. I can't see some one with 4GB of RAM having storage issues anyways. Usually people with 4GB RAM have huge hard drives to go with it. I have 4GB RAM and 1.5TB storage.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=328&Itemid=60

;)

pbpersson
March 30th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Is there a high water mark in Ubuntu? In other words, where do you look to see the highest amount of swap you have ever used since the OS was first installed?

koenn
March 30th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Is there a high water mark in Ubuntu? In other words, where do you look to see the highest amount of swap you have ever used since the OS was first installed?

not that I know of

' swapon -s ' shows swap usage, so if you'd save that value to a file, then on regular intervals (cron ?) check if usage is higher that what's recorded in the file, and if so, update it, you'd have a very rough high water mark thingie.

Austin25
March 30th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Drive space has nothing to do with it. Swap space is used when your physical RAM is depleted, and your system starts using swap to act as RAM.
Yes, but it is a designated part of the hard drive that is used.

julianb
March 30th, 2010, 08:42 PM
If you don't have too many windows open at once, you can run Ubuntu very well with RAM + swap partition total space of 1GB.

If you want to be able to have 15 windows open at a time, you may need more.

It is possible to make a system run very well with 1GB ram and no swap, or 2GB ram and no swap. If you have less than 1GB ram, I recommend adding swap space until you have at least 1GB of ram+swap.

aysiu
March 30th, 2010, 08:50 PM
If you have 128 MB of RAM, having a 256 MB swap partition can make a really big difference, performance-wise.

I have a 16 GB SSD and 2 GB of RAM, so there is no swap partition on my drive. I need every byte on that SSD.

cgroza
March 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM
If you have 128 MB of RAM, having a 256 MB swap partition can make a really big difference, performance-wise.

I have a 16 GB SSD and 2 GB of RAM, so there is no swap partition on my drive. I need every byte on that SSD.

With that memory it is advised to have at least 512mb swap partition because on my 256 ram machine i always have 300mb swapping.

chucky chuckaluck
March 30th, 2010, 09:57 PM
and speaking of idiot, it took me two days to figure what the thread title meant. very sad...

doas777
March 30th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I'm a touch dyslexic, so the title didn't make sense until I read it aloud. give it a try, it often helps.