PDA

View Full Version : Any cool affordable things to do with linux?

themarker0
March 29th, 2010, 05:32 PM
So i have gotten bored, and want to know, whats some cool things to do? I will list some of my other items i have, and want to know what i can do with them

Wii
Cannon DSLR Rebel XSI (i think thats it)
Cannon powershot (Whichever one avil lavinge supports)
Laptop
Servers
Routers (wired + wireless)
switches (for internet)
Mac (PP)+(OSX)
old old computers (3gb hdd)
Bluetooth capable laptop

Anything cool that can be done with these?

gashcr
March 29th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Build a system able to recognize the wiimote gestures with your 2 cams ;)

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Get your old machines as torrent seeders if you have enough bandwidth to spare. I'd suggest putting a network harddrive on your router and have the files be sent there then the computers seed those files.

If you want something else to do, search for a Component/Composite >> USB/Whatever Cable/crossover and hook your wii up for recording gameplay and submit gameplay to youtube.

Also with the network harddrive: Setup a ghosting server so that every night, your computers are freshly installed ;)

themarker0
March 30th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Build a system able to recognize the wiimote gestures with your 2 cams ;)

I wouldn't know how to start even :P I think Wiimotes run on bluetooth no?

Get your old machines as torrent seeders if you have enough bandwidth to spare. I'd suggest putting a network harddrive on your router and have the files be sent there then the computers seed those files.

I already have one downstairs, my dads setup.

If you want something else to do, search for a Component/Composite >> USB/Whatever Cable/crossover and hook your wii up for recording gameplay and submit gameplay to youtube.
Would be interesting, good idea.

Also with the network harddrive: Setup a ghosting server so that every night, your computers are freshly installed ;)
That would really be a good idea. I should do that on the home main.

oldsoundguy
March 30th, 2010, 01:52 AM
You could do some good for mankind and set up the computers with BOINC from UC Berkeley and process numbers for medicine and science.

marshmallow1304
March 30th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I wouldn't know how to start even :P I think Wiimotes run on bluetooth no?

Yes. You'll need a bluetooth adapter and a couple packages (see here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CWiiD) for details). Once you've learned how to edit the configuration files, you can use the wiimote as a mouse pointer and a game controller. It's great with SuperTux 2 and SuperTuxKart. :D

Also, you can get homebrew on your Wii and install Media Player CE (or one of the other available players), then use it to watch shared media over the network. Edit: Also, DVD playback.

themarker0
March 30th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Yes. You'll need a bluetooth adapter and a couple packages (see here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CWiiD) for details). Once you've learned how to edit the configuration files, you can use the wiimote as a mouse pointer and a game controller. It's great with SuperTux 2 and SuperTuxKart. :D

Also, you can get homebrew on your Wii and install Media Player CE, then use it to watch shared media over the network.

My mom would kill me :P She loves the wii. I may be buying my own to tinker with after i buy a new cpu.

undecim
March 30th, 2010, 03:15 AM
You could do some good for mankind and set up the computers with BOINC from UC Berkeley and process numbers for medicine and science.

+1

What could be better than helping thousands of people feel better by contributing to medical research?

themarker0
March 30th, 2010, 04:33 AM
+1

What could be better than helping thousands of people feel better by contributing to medical research?

For green reasons none of my machines can idle. When i don't use i power down.