PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Heartbeat - Windows - Ubuntu

malarie
March 29th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Good day,

I have a Ubuntu Server 9.1 that contains critical information. I have configured backups, and process monitoring with cron, I am notified each time the process is down, but its not 100% complete. If the machine goes down (no power, or stops responding i would like to be notified ASAP. Since this is my only Linux machine, (others are Windows XP, 2003) and i never configured a heartbeat so im not familiar with it, I'm curious if there is a tool that will do the work.

As I understand it, obviously it needs to be a Windows tool.

Regards,

Vegan
March 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
One idea is a UPS to keep the server up, then you can monitor it with whatever and send SMS or emails or something to let you know to put another quarter in the power meter.

malarie
March 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I have a UPS, the machine will be connected to a UPS.. I weant to monitor its state.. If it hangs, crashed, shutdown after a sustained electrical blackout during the night. etc..

fang0654
March 29th, 2010, 06:08 PM
What you need is a server monitoring application. I am not sure what is available for monitoring under Windows, but under Linux a few options are ZenOSS, Zabbix, and Nagios.

spynappels
March 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Nagios runs on a Linux server, but can be accessed through a web browser fromany client. I used a Nagios server for a very similar setup for a while and it worked very well, I had it email me if there were problems.

It is also highly configurable...