PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have changed the Ubuntu GUI in some way?

jackdale
March 29th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I've been interested by some people's negative impressions about the new look introduced in Lucid Lynx. It reminded me a little of the people that complained that Ubuntu is/was "too brown". I thought it would be fun to ask people to see how many of you use Ubuntu without making any changes to the out-of-the-box GUI.

I would be very interested if there is anyone that has not changed the theme, the windows manager or even the background.

(This is just out of interest, I hope it doesn't become a thread where people are giving each other grief for their opinions!:D)

As for me, I use a different theme, a different background, I only use one panel at the top with cairo-dock at the bottom and Compiz. I've also changed the min/max/close buttons to the left and in the orientation (Max/Min/Close) that is found in Lucid.

Enjoy!

ronnielsen1
March 29th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Definitely not me. I change everything

I've also changed the min/max/close buttons to the left and in the orientation (Max/Min/Close) that is found in Lucid.
Don't start that flame war again. They changed it back to the right on the betas (where they belong)

Berk
March 29th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Currently on my netbook I've changed most of it.
Using openbox, icons, fonts etc all changed, window decorations removed so no min max close buttons to worry about. ;)

derekeverett
March 29th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I certainly welcome the new theme, as I was one of them who didn't care for the whole orange human thing. It is funny how everybody used to scream about that. Now it's the buttons in Lucid lol.

I don't mind the default Gnome look. But my daughter gets on the wallpaper before I even do the updates!

I also get rid of the bottom panel. I like a big open screen with work-spaces, drives, and app launchers on the top panel.

As far as themes go... I play around with that from time to time just to change the look up a bit.

I'd try a dock again but I couldn't get one that looked ok on the right side, which is where I would want it. That's where I've always put OSX docks and Windows taskbars.

I don't put a Gnome panel on the side cause it looks stupid..

sixstorm
March 29th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I've installed Ubuntu 10.04 Beta on my netbook and work laptop. With the netbook, I've only got one panel that autohides, no desktop icons and I'm running Gnome-do to launch apps. On my work laptop, I've got a standard setup going. Haven't had much time to change anything yet.

Dayofswords
March 29th, 2010, 01:45 PM
changed background
title bars a deep blue
windows white with a slight blue

i like blue =p

MooPi
March 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Users of Linux are tweakers and change is part of the process. If I didn't put the words "Linux" somewhere on my desktop you would be hard pressed to figure if I was showing off a pretty picture or maybe my screen was frozen. I don't use a panel or standard menu so it's plain and simple but very fast.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5209151/Backgrounds/Open_cosmos.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5209151/Backgrounds/Open_sunburst.jpg

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I don't mind the new setup of ubuntu lucid, but, I'm on debian now, so I chose the "No way" option.

Plus, my computer can't handle the default setup (compositing trouble.)

tica vun
March 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Nothing much, I've just added some launchers on the default panels (synaptic, update manager, gparted, nvidia-settings, firefox, terminal, system manager). I've always hated having an empty top panel.

PuddingKnife
March 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I cant stand the Ubuntu defaults. Win95 gray is not my thing. This is what I've done:

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs459.snc3/26217_1424725217470_1212948652_1224956_1005543_n.j pg

gashcr
March 29th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I like the new themes very much, the button position, I just don't care :P I use my own wallpapers of course as I don't like purple that much... and a single panel on top. That's it.

ubunterooster
March 29th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Well, Lucid is hardly too brown....

In my Xubuntu installation, no panels are needed, nor docks, just wallpaper and key-board shortcuts.

2hot6ft2
March 29th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I change just about everything. That's one of the things I love about ubuntu, it's customizable to the users taste.

uberlube
March 29th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I cant begin to tell you how many hours ive spent themeing linux. And once im satisfied with it one way I find a new wallpaper and have to do it all over again to satisfy the new colors. And dont get me started on conky lol. I could sit here and complain more but the fact of the matter is i love every second of it. Heres the new one im working on, feel free to throw some hints at me if u have any. ;)

malspa
March 29th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Whatever the distro, customizing a new Linux installation is half the fun!

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I cant begin to tell you how many hours ive spent themeing linux. And once im satisfied with it one way I find a new wallpaper and have to do it all over again to satisfy the new colors. And dont get me started on conky lol. I could sit here and complain more but the fact of the matter is i love every second of it. Heres the new one im working on, feel free to throw some hints at me if u have any. ;)

That's a desktop pic, not a UI pic.

Desktop pics have a thread already.

undecim
March 29th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I don't even have gnome installed

Put together my system from the minimal CD. I have fluxbox, no graphical login (a small snippet in .bashrc runs startx once per boot when I log in). I don't have any desktop icons - instead, it's a desktop terminal, wbar, and conky.

It's fast as lightning.

I'm considering switching back to gnome or KDE when I install Lucid. I miss being able to use sftp:// in the browser, and I don't like how long it takes to start Nautilus when it's not already managing the background, nor the number of libraries that Dolphin would have to load.

ctrlmd
March 29th, 2010, 06:08 PM
desktop looks great but gui interface for my computer[nautilus ],programs looks like
win 95 which i hate the most and maybe one of the reasons that going to make me use KDE in the next release of either ubuntu,opensuse

Phrea
March 29th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I only change the theme [I'm using DarkRoom, with minor tweaks here and there] and wallpaper.

jackdale
March 30th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Definitely not me. I change everything

Don't start that flame war again. They changed it back to the right on the betas (where they belong)

Thanks for your reply. I did not that my statement was particularly inflammatory :o

As I understand it, Ambience and Radiance themes still have the buttons-on-the-right thing happening (which I am loving btw), but the rest of the themes have been restored to their original state (at least that's what's going on in my copy of the new beta. I didn't particularly think that this was a terribly offensive thing...:D

ronnielsen1
March 30th, 2010, 06:11 PM
No offense here, some people took it that way.

I love it Puddingknife. What are you running under the hood?

blueshiftoverwatch
March 30th, 2010, 07:25 PM
The first thing I do is turn off all of the special effects and modify the colors and designs to look as close to Windows 95 as possible. Rocking it old school, back when GUI's were simple.

Madspyman
March 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I remove the maximize and minimize buttons and double click the titlebar to maximize, and set the titlebar to use back click to minimize.

If it was up to me, the buttons would be hidden until you moused over the window corner, not sure if that's possible.

blur xc
March 30th, 2010, 07:46 PM
If it was up to me, the buttons would be hidden until you moused over the window corner, not sure if that's possible.

Mine has done that on acccident a few times. Apparently, there's a few bugs floating around.

Mines customized- all compzied out, awn dock, global menu applet, and an informative conky (not fancy though)...

BM

Random_Dude
March 30th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I've made some minor changes: wallpaper and theme (Black-Diamond or New Wave). I'm trying to get the hold of conky, but it's still in that phase when I just try conkys already made.

I don't make Ubuntu look like windows, mac, etc. I like to keep the "Ubuntu look", it looks nice and has it's own individuality (so to speak). :biggrin:

Paqman
March 30th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I haven't made any changes to Lucid that I didn't make in Karmic. The main change I make is to delete the bottom panel and use AWN, plus themes and wallpaper.

The buttons are fine where they are on Lucid IMO.

jackdale
March 30th, 2010, 09:54 PM

I've also done that by accident when playing around with emerald settings... I guess you could also play around with scripting the config, but I wouldn't have the first clue about how you'd go about that...

Austin25
March 30th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Darkroom +custom background + extra panel applets

steveneddy
March 30th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Custom colors on Task Bars - transparent task bars and menus - custom icon sets - custom wall papers - custom cube caps - non-stock window borders - custom backgound in Nautilus - RGBA - alternate system fonts and custom pointers

Just the basic stuff - I just don't like using Conky and dock apps - I like the Gnome look overall, just a little color and transparency to make it look like I want