PDA

View Full Version : Which OS for a netbook?

abhiroopb
March 29th, 2010, 06:02 AM
After a long hiatus I have decided to once again start posting on UbuntuForums!

I have been happily using Windows 7 for the last 2 months on my custom built desktop (http://www.techcomet.com/p/my-gadgets.html). Prior to that I was a long time Ubuntu user. However, I had more recently become disillusioned by some of the choices that Canonical was forcing down my throat (looking at you Pulse Audio). Anyway I decided to at least give Windows 7 a try and it worked so well for my needs that I decided to stick with it.

Since I bought a desktop I recently (Friday) decided that I needed a (very) cheap netbook for travel purposes. Hence I decided to sell my old HP Laptop and purchase a shiny Axioo Pico DJV (http://www.axiooworld.com/ww/index.php?act=product&goto=detil&id=PICO&type=DJV) netbook. This is an OEM of MSI Wind, so it is similar to the MSI Wind netbook, although I am unsure which one it is most similar to.

This netbook came pre-installed with Windows 7 Starter and for the most part using it over the weekend has been an absolute pleasure. I found a handy Microsoft app called “synctoy” that makes syncing my netbook and desktop really easy.

The reason I am posting is because I want to know what other (perhaps better) OS options there are for my netbook.

Firstly, Windows 7 recently won a lifehacker “Hive Five (http://lifehacker.com/5473193/best-netbook-operating-system-windows-7)” contest for best OS for a netbook. This is what has kept me using the default OS and not immediately installing something else.

Essentially, what I am looking for is speed during boot and using applications, however I DO NOT want to use Ubuntu simply because it caused too many headaches right before I switched. The main problem was 100% CPU usage while using Skype which I was unable to solve even with the newer Skype. It may be a hardware issue (i.e. my old laptop having a problem), but I did have other issues and I’d rather not use the stock Ubuntu.

The best options right now appear to be Jolicloud and Ubuntu Netbook Remix. The reason I say UNR is because while I did say I don’t want to try Ubuntu, UNR may be light enough that the other problems may be negated by the speed boost.

Anyway, I’d like your thoughts on which OS is best for speed, general compatibility with my netbook, good range of applications, good battery life and quite importantly the ability to sync about 150GB of data between my desktop and the netbook (NB: because the amount of data is so big using Dropbox is out of the question, something similar to Microsoft Synctoy would be ideal).

NightwishFan
March 29th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Give Ubuntu or Debian Testing a go. Ubuntu Netbook Remix I have not known to be lighter, just optimized for small screens and efficiency. Something like Puppy couldn't hurt, though it has less software available for it.

P1umb3r
March 29th, 2010, 06:22 AM
On my Asus eee 1001p I'm using Ubuntu 9.10. I tried UNR at first but didn't like the netbook interface. After that I tried crunchbang, which I would have kept for the speed except the screen brightness was screwed up. I have had no problems with Ubuntu on my netbook except that I had to resort to ndiswrapper to get my wireless working.

abhiroopb
March 29th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Give Ubuntu or Debian Testing a go. Ubuntu Netbook Remix I have not known to be lighter, just optimized for small screens and efficiency. Something like Puppy couldn't hurt, though it has less software available for it.

Debian Testing? I tried Puppy a while back on my original laptop and besides the UI not being very pleasant it was a headache to find apps for. My "can't-live-without" apps include skype which means a debian or fedora based OS is the best option.

On my Asus eee 1001p I'm using Ubuntu 9.10. I tried UNR at first but didn't like the netbook interface. After that I tried crunchbang, which I would have kept for the speed except the screen brightness was screwed up. I have had no problems with Ubuntu on my netbook except that I had to resort to ndiswrapper to get my wireless working.

Generally speaking I don't want to go through the use XYZ to make ABC work. I used ubuntu for about 4 years prior to switching to Windows 7 and generally speaking I was happy enough getting things to work and looking for fixes, but on a netbook which should be "slick" I don't really want to hunt around for patches. That is why I was looking at Jolicloud which seems to have a huge set of netbooks that are compatible (out of the box) with it.

In any case I think I'll wait for 10.04 at least before making up my mind.

the yawner
March 29th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Perhaps Lubuntu once 10.04's out?

dragos240
March 29th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I would say any distro. Netbook remixes are not necessary if you have a decent size screen.

pmlxuser
March 29th, 2010, 08:58 AM
if your netbook has that dreaded intel GMA 500 graphic, life suck in linux, i can't enjoy ubuntu 10.04 as of now coz a hack for the driver not yet avaailable. else if not then ubuntu rocks.

abhiroopb
March 29th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Perhaps Lubuntu once 10.04's out?

Looks interesting but how is LXDE or whatever it is called? I don't think I really need something "lightweight" as ubuntu is already a relatively "light OS". What I am looking for is more ease of use as a netbook. Obviously booting speed and application startup speeds are other important factors.

I would say any distro. Netbook remixes are not necessary if you have a decent size screen.

It's 1024x600 (pretty standard for a netbook) and screen is 10.1. But, you are right it isn't as though I have to scroll a lot. I've just put some of my most frequently used items as icons on my desktop (something which i hate doing, but it seems to be the easiest thing to do on a netbook) and start them that way. I don't need a built in twitter application as there are so many available ones!

if your netbook has that dreaded intel GMA 500 graphic, life suck in linux, i can't enjoy ubuntu 10.04 as of now coz a hack for the driver not yet avaailable. else if not then ubuntu rocks.

Intel GMA 950 Integrated fortunately!

On a slightly unrelated note...I use Tweetdeck on my desktop but noted it takes up almost 100mb of RAM. This is fine on my 6GB RAM desktop but not on my 1GB RAM netbook. The reason I like Tweetdeck is the ability to show columns side by side. The only other one that seems to do this is Seesmic but that has an unnecessary column on the left which takes up about a third of my screen. I am looking for something like TweetDeck with a lower memory footprint.

the yawner
March 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Looks interesting but how is LXDE or whatever it is called? I don't think I really need something "lightweight" as ubuntu is already a relatively "light OS". What I am looking for is more ease of use as a netbook. Obviously booting speed and application startup speeds are other important factors.

I haven't tested it myself, but reportedly it is far more lightweight that Xubuntu, so that says something. Me, I actually have Moblin 2.1 as my secondary OS on my netbook. But I now use it sparingly.

I guess I'll be awaiting for Meego.

rottentree
March 29th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I think I would wait for Eeebuntu 4.0 to go final (which will get a name change one day because it's debian based now) at least that's what I'm doing.

Oh and I always wanted to ask this: besides 'it works' why do people like win7 on a netbook so much?

abhibharti
March 29th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I think ubuntu is perfect. Give a try.

amitabhishek
March 29th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Final(non beta) 2.1 version of Moblin is available for download (http://moblin.org/downloads) and it works well on Intel chips (considering its a part Intel baby)...its fast and looks cool...give it a spin if you like.

themarker0
March 29th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Moblin, or do what i am doing. Install ubuntu with a light window manager.

ibuclaw
March 29th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Debian Testing? I tried Puppy a while back on my original laptop and besides the UI not being very pleasant it was a headache to find apps for. My "can't-live-without" apps include skype which means a debian or fedora based OS is the best option.

I second Debian Testing (codename 'Squeeze') for netbooks.

One or two quirks, but easily configured.

Regards
Iain

anaconda
March 29th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Normal ubuntu is best..

UNR was bigger, slower and more clumsy to use on my machine..
(what are they thinking?)
I thought that UNR would have been lighter and faster...

And dont get me started with the UNR forcing all windows to be full-screen, and difficult to make them smaller than full screen...

KegHead
March 29th, 2010, 01:32 PM
hi!

I've used 9.10 standard with my dell mini 9 with a great deal of success.

16 gb ssd hd, 2gb ram

KegHead

snowpine
March 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
All of the major distros have good support for netbooks these days. Here is a great comparison of the pros and cons: http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Personally I have Fedora (Gnome Desktop) on my Asus eee 900ha netbook, and I'm currently testing the new Alpha release of CrunchBang (based on Debian Squeeze with a stripped-down Xfce) on my Dell Mini 9.

user1397
March 29th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I recently bought a Dell Mini 10v netbook (I'm typing from it right now actually) and I wiped the ubuntu that came with it from Dell, and installed ubuntu 9.10 minimal and using some guide I found on the forums here I now have a very minimal Gnome setup, and I thoroughly enjoy it. I've actually already upgraded to Lucid and it works just fine.

mamamia88
March 29th, 2010, 04:27 PM
windows 7. ubuntu is fine if you can get wifi working correctly. when i ran ubuntu on mine with a realtek card i had to be practically next to the router to get a signal

olaf-g
April 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
I'm running lucid lynx beta 1 and I got everything running except the internal mic. I solved the issues with the wireless and the screen brightness control. With a kernel image after March 30 the power consumption is very well, almost never getting out of C4, battery lasts for 7 hours. As I am writing down my experiences and fixes in a blog you can find the exact steps over there:

http://linuxon1001p.blogspot.com

For wireless I use a self compiled native driver which was really not difficult to do and the brightnes issue is fixed completely including on screen notifications and auto dimming working.