PDA

View Full Version : Should Ubuntu Add Seattle As A Timezone?

emanuel.b
March 29th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Hey, I live in Washington state, and I'm tired of setting Los Angles as my timezone. (Because I want to stay as far away from Vancouver as possible.) But should Ubuntu really add Seattle as a time zone? (Portland wouldn't hurt either.)

wewantutopia
March 29th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Why don't they just say US Pacific (Standard or Daylight Savings) Time???

standingwave
March 29th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Hey, I live in Washington state, and I'm tired of setting Los Angles as my timezone. (Because I want to stay as far away from Vancouver as possible.) But should Ubuntu really add Seattle as a time zone? (Portland wouldn't hurt either.)They should add Redmond. :)

kyle99
March 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
YES! I remember the first time I used ubuntu, I picked Vancouver because it had the same time as mine (I live in Spokane, WA), and I kept getting slow download speeds because I was downloading from the canadian servers.

airtonix
March 29th, 2010, 11:37 AM
YES! I remember the first time I used ubuntu, I picked Vancouver because it had the same time as mine (I live in Spokane, WA), and I kept getting slow download speeds because I was downloading from the canadian servers.

At which point you should of changed your sources.list...

But hey we're obviously well past those obvious mistakes ?

derekeverett
March 29th, 2010, 11:39 AM

Are you sure thats because of the time zone you chose?

I'm not saying I know any different, because I don't, but perhaps the Canadian servers were the closest to your location...

I wouldn't imagine servers recognize mans borders.. And Spokane is not that far from Canada...

But I could totally be wrong about that. I hope someone that does know what they are talking about chimes in though. Now I'm curious.

Megrimn
March 29th, 2010, 01:10 PM
They should add Minneapolis, too. I have to always set to Chicago. The next closest city is in Canada.

[edit] actually, if they added the capital city from each state/province/what-have-you, it would be cool.