PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall ubuntu without wrecking grub

minibeardeath
March 29th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I have currently 3 OSes installed on my desktop. I have Windows 7, Ubuntu, and another Ubuntu. the reason I have 2 is because I accidentally managed to install the first one without installing GRUB, and then I did a second install without realizing that I was installing on a different partition. I have now subsequently broken the first install, but the Windows and the other Ubuntu work perfectly. Is there a quick and easy way to remove the broken Ubuntu install without damaging the other two OSes? Thanks in advance for the help.

minibeardeath
April 9th, 2010, 05:06 AM
bump! anybody???

garvinrick4
April 9th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I have currently 3 OSes installed on my desktop. I have Windows 7, Ubuntu, and another Ubuntu. the reason I have 2 is because I accidentally managed to install the first one without installing GRUB, and then I did a second install without realizing that I was installing on a different partition. I have now subsequently broken the first install, but the Windows and the other Ubuntu work perfectly. Is there a quick and easy way to remove the broken Ubuntu install without damaging the other two OSes? Thanks in advance for the help.Do you know how to use gparted. If you do and if both Linux systems are in a extended partition which they probably are. You can reformat the bad install
and leave the extra space for future use or you can make the good install larger to fill up the extended partition there are a lot of things you can do. Google gparted and read up on its use. Just no what you are doing because that is your drive you are fooling with. I would just try to figure out how to fix your install that is not working. Should be fun and learn alot fixing it.