PDA

View Full Version : Chromium browser

sixthwheel
March 29th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I just came across this browser.
I downloaded it a few hours ago, and been playing with it since.
Faster then Firefox, with less features...

So far I'm liking it.

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Wow you've been living under a rock.

sdowney717
March 29th, 2010, 01:14 AM
you can also run Chrome browser and Iron browser which chrome based.
although I dont understand the need for Iron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_Iron
http://www.google.com/chrome?platform=linux

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 01:17 AM

I don't understand the need for chrome.

sdowney717
March 29th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Chrome will license H264 codec so you can watch H264 in linux. Firefox is a no show on H264
here is a discussion where he does not understand the need for Iron when there is Chromium.

I still don't think anyone is understanding what I'm saying. I'm not talking about IRON vs.CHROME -- I'm talking about IRON vs. CHROMIUM.

If Iron is exactly the same thing as CHROMIUM, then why does Iron even exist?

On the other hand, if there ARE differences between Iron and CHROMIUM, then why doesn't the Iron Web site mention them?

I hope that this third explanation finally makes clear what I was apparently and inexplicably unable to explain sufficiently in both my first and second tries.

http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/30374/

mkvnmtr
March 29th, 2010, 01:24 AM
The need for Iron is simple. Chromium and chrome make about 20 attempts to contact outside servers when you start them up. Many people feel that that is spyware. Iron has removed the reporting to Google what is done on the browser.

chucky chuckaluck
March 29th, 2010, 01:40 AM

Iron is useful in protecting one's precious bodily fluids.

LloydSev
March 29th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Iron has it's uses for the privacy worried.

I love Chrome as well, especially with YouTube moving to HTML5 video and it being the only browser that will support the correct format.

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 02:20 AM
The need for Iron is simple. Chromium and chrome make about 20 attempts to contact outside servers when you start them up. Many people feel that that is spyware. Iron has removed the reporting to Google what is done on the browser.

Google ask if you want to be apart of the improvement team, and send them crash reports, and usage statistics. You can say no to that you know?

sixthwheel
March 29th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Wow you've been living under a rock.
Some have a life outside of computers.

Minipalmer
March 29th, 2010, 02:51 AM
ZING

So is Chromium actually different than Chrome? I used Chrome for a little while, but I rely on a few Firefox add ons that I can't give up yet.

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 02:52 AM

Wow I'm just amazed at the stuff people get bent out of shape about. This phrase gets used all the time in friendly banter, yet you decide to take it in some sort of extreme context, and get butt hurt about it. Wow! Just wow. I work full time, and go to school by the way. So I guess I don't have much of a life at all. "You've been living under a rock"="Wow I'm amazed you hadn't tried it yet" how offensive.

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I don't like that the user.js system in chromium won't take the H*R All-In-One. Also, The person who MADE Greasemonkey made the user.js implementation in Chrome/ium, he told everyone who had non-working user.js files to make them work with chrome, or be left behind--as of now that is.

See this: Click Here (http://hrwiki.org/wiki/User_talk:Phlip/Greasemonkey#Chrome_Now_Can_Install..._but...)

Khakilang
March 29th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Once I had Iron deficiencies so I use Chromium as an alternative.

RiceMonster
March 29th, 2010, 03:00 AM

I call BS on this one

chucky chuckaluck
March 29th, 2010, 03:47 AM
the extensions that are available to chrome and chromium are not available in iron.

HappinessNow
March 29th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Iron is useful in protecting one's precious bodily fluids.
A daily dose of Iron is good for the body but I will stick with Google Chrome for all my web browsing needs!...I gave up on "Tin-Foil UnderRoos" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underoos) a long time ago about the time I gave up Shock Therapy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroconvulsive_therapy)! :p

Uncle Spellbinder
March 29th, 2010, 04:27 AM
the extensions that are available to chrome and chromium are not available in iron.
And most of the great Firefox extensions are not available for Iron, Chrome or Chromium. Which is just one of the things what make Firefox vastly superior, in my opinion.

NightwishFan
March 29th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Once I had Iron deficiencies so I use Chromium as an alternative.

You say very humorous things at random. :D

Personally I am not fond of many extensions. I like the Epiphany browser, however it is not as good for some things yet. I have tried Chrome and it is very slick, also has GTK integration.

chucky chuckaluck
March 29th, 2010, 05:59 AM
And most of the great Firefox extensions are not available for Iron, Chrome or Chromium. Which is just one of the things what make Firefox vastly superior, in my opinion.

Pfft! Firefox is no Xscope-lite.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 29th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Google QuickScroll, StayFocusd (okay, you get LeechBlock), Speed Tracer, _elegant_ (and consistent) extensions with new message notifications for every web service under the sun...

Really, we can compare extensions all day, but it's really important to realize these two are very different in design; they aren't meant to have directly comparable feature lists that we measure side by side and whichever is longest wins. For me, Chromium's biggest feature is that its features list is one of the shortest.

In terms of extensions, Chromium's design favours consistency over the insane levels of flexibility offered in Firefox. The drawback is of course that extensions don't have as much control (making ad blocking stuff less powerful), but there are lots of advantages, too: badges (for new message counts), extensions all draw their interfaces the same way, I can disable / install extensions instantly, my right click menus aren't six times the height of the screen, there isn't a convoluted toolbar editor. (Instead, I just drag the little handle where extension tool buttons appear to show the ones I care about seeing at a glance).

Personally I am not fond of many extensions. I like the Epiphany browser, however it is not as good for some things yet. I have tried Chrome and it is very slick, also has GTK integration.
Actually, it USES GTK, which is one of the reasons I prefer it. Custom-tailored integration is awesome. Granted, it draws things its own way in the chrome (tabs, address bar, toolbar), but everything that can (menus, toolbars, options dialogs) uses normal, standard gtk widgets.
(Okay, Epiphany also uses gtk, as well as all the other G goodies and WebkitGTK, and it is only ever intended for the Gnome platform, and it's pretty sleek, but Chromium has me for now thanks to the ever brilliant Feedly extension).

As for Iron, I really don't understand the purpose for its continued existence:
http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=114836&hl=en
Whatever floats one's boat, I guess. Last time I downloaded the Chromium source tree it was gigantic, so it must take piles of effort to maintain a fork...

NightwishFan
March 29th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks I did not know it used GTK.

Paqman
March 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks I did not know it used GTK.

You've obviously not been standing near a KDE user when Chrome is mentioned.

speedwell68
March 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Google ask if you want to be apart of the improvement team, and send them crash reports, and usage statistics. You can say no to that you know?

So how do I disbale it in Chromium?

gradinaruvasile
March 29th, 2010, 11:23 AM

The problem with privacy AFAIK lies in the default settings in the privacy options -
"Show suggestions for navigation errors", "Use a suggestion service...", "Use DNS pre-fetching...", "Enable phishing and malware protection"
The above options if checked (and they are by default) will send your stuff typed in the address bar (be it address or search + dns lookup) to the google servers to "improve user experience".

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html
http://ha.ckers.org/blog/20090824/google-safe-browsing-and-chrome-privacy-leak/

PS. I use Chromium dev builds (generic linux builds) and i found it extremely stable - Firefox tends to crash sometimes, but Chromium crashed 1 or 2 times - individual pages do crash, but very rare occasions, but this doesnt affect the browsers stability thanks to the multithreading.
From memory usage standpoint, it does use more memory than other browsers if you count all its processes (1 for each tab, 1-2 for flash/java plugins, 1 for the master chrome process), but despite this on lower end computers is way faster than Firefox/Opera - i saw Chrome having about 50 tabs open on a 512 MB ram machine running along OpenOffice - granted it was slow, but it was working and it didnt crash (as Firefox did on the same machine with 10+ tabs open).

Nisal
March 29th, 2010, 11:27 AM
chrome is very fast but i guess opera is good also but when it comes for fast chrome get #1

Tristam Green
March 29th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Wow I'm just amazed at the stuff people get bent out of shape about. This phrase gets used all the time in friendly banter, yet you decide to take it in some sort of extreme context, and get butt hurt about it. Wow! Just wow. I work full time, and go to school by the way. So I guess I don't have much of a life at all. "You've been living under a rock"="Wow I'm amazed you hadn't tried it yet" how offensive.

Something tells me that sixthwheel isn't the one taking things personally.

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM
chrome is very fast but i guess opera is good also but when it comes for fast chrome get #1

ESPECIALLY when it takes 110% of my CPU when using flash.

Doctor Mike
March 29th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I'm amazed that their are so many people talking up the chrome web browser. Sure it's fast. Sure it's simple. But it's crap.

I tried it on windows and couldn't wait to uninstall.

Tried it today on Ubuntu and couldn't wait to uninstall.

Has anyone taken this browser to a site where they know there's lots of popups, ads and flash crap?

Had to do a forced quit just to close the browser. This is a not-ready-for-prime-time product. :roll:

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 05:31 PM

I don't know about chromium. I don't get why it's a big deal anyways. You're just one of thousands of random crash reports, and usage statistics. It's not like they know your name, or address, or anything.

_h_
March 29th, 2010, 05:32 PM

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

gradinaruvasile
March 29th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Has anyone taken this browser to a site where they know there's lots of popups, ads and flash crap?

Had to do a forced quit just to close the browser. This is a not-ready-for-prime-time product. :roll:

I did take it there and had no problems.
Thats the Adblock+ plugin is for...
You can block all kinds of stuff with it, not only flash. Alt+W, point (this is a bit interesting, you have to click on the red border of the object to not trigger it, but once mastered, no problems), click, solved. Also, you can kill the flash process you know, it will kill every flash occurence in all tabs.

themarker0
March 29th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I love chrome. It has its bugs, as does Firefox, but its much faster. If only it had the add ons Firefox did, and i could use it for more then just static pages.

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Before we use big words like hypocrisy we should find out what they mean.

Doctor Mike
March 29th, 2010, 05:38 PM
You can block all kinds of stuff with it, not only flash. Alt+W, point (this is a bit interesting, you have to click on the red border of the object to not trigger it, but once mastered, no problems), click, solved. Also, you can kill the flash process you know, it will kill every flash occurence in all tabs.You are talking about Adblock+ on linux Ubuntu version of Chrome?

malspa
March 29th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I have Firefox, Chrome, and Chromium all installed, just to compare. I find myself still using Firefox most of the time, though. Just a few minor annoyances with Chrome and Chromium, still; they are good browsers, and they'll get better, but Firefox has been at it for awhile and in my opinion it's still the better browser.

Psumi
March 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM
You can block all kinds of stuff with it, not only flash. Alt+W, point (this is a bit interesting, you have to click on the red border of the object to not trigger it, but once mastered, no problems), click, solved. Also, you can kill the flash process you know, it will kill every flash occurence in all tabs.

Or better yet, not load the server that has the ads in the first place!

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

gradinaruvasile
March 29th, 2010, 05:46 PM
You are talking about Adblock+ on linux Ubuntu?

Adblock+ on Chromium Linux, Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04, 9.10, Debian Squeeze - i used it with these Linux versions, it probably works on others and Windows too.

See attached screenshot.

Doctor Mike
March 29th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Adblock+ on Chromium Linux, Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04, 9.10, Debian Squeeze - i used it with these Linux versions, it probably works on others and Windows too.

See attached screenshot.I'll think about doing a reinstall to give it a fair test...

_h_
March 29th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Before we use big words like hypocrisy we should find out what they mean.

See Contradiction.

spupy
March 29th, 2010, 05:56 PM
My Firefox/Vimperator evolved and reached the browser singularity. It is the perfect browser. As it was complete, there was nothing more to be done.

So I switched to Chromium for some more tinkering fun!

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I'm amazed that their are so many people talking up the chrome web browser. Sure it's fast. Sure it's simple. But it's crap.

I tried it on windows and couldn't wait to uninstall.

Tried it today on Ubuntu and couldn't wait to uninstall.

I don't have any problems like this. Though I have noticed in 10.04 both firefox, and chrome have a problem with flash. In the middle of a vid you loose control over the player.

gradinaruvasile
March 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
See Contradiction.

The latest Linux build is here:

http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-linux/42949/chrome-linux.zip

Just unpack & execute (chrome)

Doctor Mike
March 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I don't have any problems like this. Though I have noticed in 10.04 both firefox, and chrome have a problem with flash. In the middle of a vid you loose control over the player.Yes I've reinstalled. I'm also using Lucid beta. Installed Adblock. Flash problems at the moment seem worse in Chrome, but at least I can test it without going blind. Also don't know about the calling home issue, even though I can block it. It seems to me that private communication should be the default and not a workaround.

Doctor Mike
March 29th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Oh, just so people understand my previously posted opinion... I installed the Chrome browser in windows a long time ago and could find no adblock tool, even if one existed at the time. So I may have jumped the gun after installing it in Ubuntu... We will see... Now that I'm not going blind.

sdowney717
March 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM
You are talking about Adblock+ on linux Ubuntu version of Chrome?
I like Adthwart works better IMO. Its the little red devil smiling.
one of the adblockers I tried with chrome, wasted bandwidth downloading then blocked the content. Adthwart just blocks it from the get go.
there are hundreds of chrome extensions now.
I mostly use firefox.
I wish the chrome address bar had a drop down box.

speedwell68
March 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I have been switching between FF 3.6 and Chromium all day and I am still finding FF 3.6 the far superior browser. Chromium in it's virgin state is faster than FF, but once you begin to add some extensions it begins to slow down. Also it still doesn't have the addon support FF does.

sixthwheel
March 30th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Wow. Did I start all this?...:P Sorry, I just thought I'd share.
I still like Firefox,never tried Chrome.
When I'm on Youtube in Firefox, it seems that if I scroll down to read the comments, (most times they are more entertaining then the video) the page scrolls very slow and choppy.

In Chronium it's pretty snappy.

Wow I'm just amazed at the stuff people get bent out of shape about. This phrase gets used all the time in friendly banter, yet you decide to take it in some sort of extreme context, and get butt hurt about it. Wow! Just wow. I work full time, and go to school by the way. So I guess I don't have much of a life at all. "You've been living under a rock"="Wow I'm amazed you hadn't tried it yet" how offensive. __________________
Sorry, I didn't mean it the way it sounded....It was kind of a friendly jab, much like your comment about living under a rock.;)
Peace.

oobuntoo
March 30th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Chrome/Chromium sucks donkey balls under KDE. It ignores my font setting and renders fonts horribly. When I tell it to use GTK+ theme, I get no window decoration/border; it refuses to work with Kwin.