PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 Upgrading Troubles

zarakstan
March 28th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I just tried upgrading my current 8.04 installation of Ubuntu. Because when I ran Update Manager no upgrades seemed to be available, I ran the command "sudo update-manager -d". Update Manager opened again and I clicked on the button that said "Upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS" after some checking of some description an error message popped up, it read
Could not calculate the upgrade A unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade. Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message: 'E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.' Now when I try to run update manager I have a blank list instead of a list of updates, despite the fact that it says 1442 updates are available. When I hit "Install Updates" anyway I get another error message:
Could not apply changes! Fix broken packages first. Any ideas what may have caused this and/or anyway to fix it?

flope
September 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hi zarakstan,
I am assuming by this time you already solved your problem.
How did you do it?
I am having the same error message.

Thanks
F

mörgæs
September 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Generally the safe approach is doing a clean installation of 10.04 rather than an upgrade. When Update Manger warns of itself being buggy as in this example I wouldn't risk it.