PDA

View Full Version : How is college?

magmon
March 28th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I recently qualified to start college next year, in what should have been my junior year of high school. I'm pretty nervous about this, mostly because I've been told it will be very hard. What do you guys think? Are any of you in college? Or, if you've graduated, how was the experience?

Simon17
March 28th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Same as high school, but with less emphasis on homework and more on tests and projects.

Also in highschool, all the idiots are in special classes. Not so in college.

magmon
March 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Same as high school, but with less emphasis on homework and more on tests and projects.

Duely noted lol. I'll be taking the majority of my courses online, which should eliminate the interaction with the idiots xD.

crlang13
March 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM

+1 - it's really about independent learning once you get to uni. If you don't do your homework, the teacher doesn't care and you don't get a detention, you just fail. That's the only thing that's "difficult" about it. There's alot of "optional" work that you don't turn in, but it's expected you do it, because if you don't, then the tests, projects, exams, etc. are real tough.

Chronon
March 28th, 2010, 10:29 PM
College was a great experience for me. Don't ignore the social aspect of it. You can become great friends with people by struggling through difficult courses together.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 29th, 2010, 07:42 AM
College is very similar to high school. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The main difference (for me at least) is that research standards are typically a little bit higher. Other than that, unless you're going somewhere prestigious, you shouldn't really miss a beat.

Chris Edgell
March 29th, 2010, 07:51 AM
magmon, you say the majority of your classes will be online. Will you be at home, or on campus at least some of the time? Aren't you a little saddened to miss your jr and sr year with your high school class?

derekeverett
March 29th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I think the mistake a lot of people make at first is they expect to be provided all the readings etc. that will be necessary. My experience was that can't be further from the truth. Be prepared to seek out your own information in many instances!

Excuses won't get you very far outside of high school.

nokian97
March 29th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I recently qualified to start college next year, in what should have been my junior year of high school. I'm pretty nervous about this, mostly because I've been told it will be very hard. What do you guys think? Are any of you in college? Or, if you've graduated, how was the experience?

Go college and enjoy your college life. I love my college life. you will enjoy it,really.:popcorn: college time is wonderful

ElSlunko
March 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM
It was one of the best experiences & choices I made in my life. Enjoy your time there but do remember to study once in a while ;P

Directive 4
March 29th, 2010, 08:59 AM
they have beer and women

XubuRoxMySox
March 29th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Dual-enrollment is nice! The classes at the college count towards both my high school diploma and my college degree.

A lot of the kids at college are just going there for something to do, and they can interfere with other kids who take college more seriously. Don't let them!

I don't find the classwork any harder than high school work, but you are expected to know how to study, how to use the library, and how to write a paper. Many of the kids at my college never learned those skills - and that's the danger of dual-enrollment: If you haven't developed those skills by the 10th grade (and I think they should be mastered by then), college will be hard.

My college offers lots of remedial classes for those who lack those skills. Those classes are a mix of adults going back to college after years in the workplace to restore rusty study skills, and high school students who didn't learn those skills when they should have and it's all new to them. None of the kids in dual-enrollment that I know have had any need for the remedial stuff.

It's fun though! Lots of new people to meet and make friends with, lots of campus groups to get involved with (if you have time and it doesn't get in the way of study and/or work), and lots more opportunities to find out what you like, what you're good at, and what you're not so good at.

Enjoy!

Robin

Megrimn
March 29th, 2010, 01:21 PM
notes I have taken from my first two years of college:

1. Always do the homework, even if it's not going to be turned in.
2. Never wait for the night before a test or project to start studying/working on it.
3. Don't rely on your high school study habits to get you through your classes. The teachers are not all held to one standard and will teach however they want to.

#3 may not be so bad, since most of your classes are online. And taking college courses in high school to get your general studies out of the way can help you graduate from college sooner, say in three years instead of four. But don't blow it off - what you have going is a great opportunity.

Tristam Green
March 29th, 2010, 04:06 PM
...best seven years of my life.

Isn't that what they say?

mamamia88
March 29th, 2010, 04:21 PM
enjoy highschool while you can. im in college right now and can't wait to graduate. but then again i have a job on the side

TBABill
March 29th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I did a complete 4-yr degree entirely online. It is rigorous and requires a great deal of maturity on your part to perform at a high level. It is easy to sluff off the work so you need to be able to focus yourself and maintain your own motivation because you will not have the classroom environment that offers greater opportunities for questions/answers and classmate interaction. Yes, you can interact easily online, but never to the level of quality you can in person because you miss a great deal of the back and forth that is so easy in person. It can be done, it is done all the time, and it's a great way to learn. Just expect that in college you teach yourself more than you are taught by professors. Do the homework, reading and research....you'll be fine.

It's a great experience. Just set aside enough time to do it right since you won't be side by side with others going through the same trials and tribulations you are encountering.

weichimaster
March 29th, 2010, 04:43 PM
...best seven years of my life.

Isn't that what they say?

hmm... 1990 to 1999 for me. Do I win an internet?

LowSky
March 29th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Well as you stilll yong the first few thing to know about college are,

1. School groups basically go out the window. Colleges don't have "Popular kids", but they still have Jocks

2. Online classes are usually harder than the in-class versions. Prepare to read more and do more papers.

3. Since you will be going to college much younger and online, your going to miss the social aspect of college.

lisati
March 29th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable the experience can be.
Be ready for some differences between your new situation and what you're used to.
Don't get so carried away with the social life that your studies suffer.

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM

It's way to much like high school. I'm 30 years old. When I'm at school I feel like I walked into a day care center.

doas777
March 29th, 2010, 06:08 PM

college is both hard, and a ton of fun. remember why you are there(get your HW done and show up to class), but you will find plenty of time to party. you'll have a blast.