PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newly Built PC.....DEAD!

jandersatl
March 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H
Processor: AMD Phenom II x2 555
Memory: Patriot Viper DDR3 4GB 1333 MHz
Optical: Lite-on 24x sata DVD-RW
HDD: Western Digital Velociraptor 300 GB 10000RPM
Power: Antec NeoPower 650 blue
Graphics: (currently removed from system): XFX Radeon HD 5670

I put together a system with the above specs. It worked and booted on the first try. I Installed Ubuntu 9.10, and enabled restricted drivers for the video card, which screwed up everything on reboot. So I took the graphics card out and booted using onboard video. Booted up fine. As I was playing around with Ubuntu, Power totally failed. This happened randomly 5 or six more times within the next 6 hours. Sometimes within minutes of boot, sometimes hours. Computer never seemed hot at all. Lots of circuation. So I was trying to boot from a CD-R to install either Kubuntu or Ubuntu 10.04 and I could not get it to boot from cd-rom. I even went to bios and set the boot order to cd-rom for #1, 2, and 3. Still booted from HDD. So I unplugged the HDD and booted up. This time the cd-rom booted up, but now I got a new problem. During this last part, The power failed on the computer. I tried a couple more times with the same result. Now the PC seems fried. Or at least the power supply. Doesn't Boot or do anything at all. My question is with the power issue. Anybody have any thoughts on why this is happening? Sometimes I could go for a couple hours where the PC would run with no problems, then it would cut off with no fanfare at all. Sometimes just a few minutes. The Power Supply is (was) kicking out 650 watts, which seems like it should be plenty.