PDA

View Full Version : GNOME Bittorrent client alternative to qBittorrent?

humphreybc
March 28th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I've been using qBittorrent for as long as I remember. I think the reason I didn't use Transmission was either due to lack of proxy, or encryption, or both.

I need proxy + encryption for University, so I went with qBittorrent.

Problem is that I like having native GNOME apps wherever I can, and I'm sure there's a GNOME torrent client around somewhere that has the same features as qBittorrent.

Suggestions?

_h_
March 28th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Transmission was either due to lack of proxy, or encryption, or both.

Transmission has both encryption and proxy settings. :popcorn:

humphreybc
March 28th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Transmission has both encryption and proxy settings. :popcorn:

Hmm. Maybe it didn't when I started using it. I'll have to give it another whirl, thanks.

chriswyatt
March 28th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I'm quite happy with Deluge, but I'm not sure if it has the features you want.

_h_
March 28th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hmm. Maybe it didn't when I started using it. I'll have to give it another whirl, thanks.

No problems, provided attachments just so you know what's in the settings. :)

Dayofswords
March 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I'm quite happy with Deluge, but I'm not sure if it has the features you want.

it does =)

Странник
March 28th, 2010, 03:01 PM
afaik μtorrent works fine under wine, if you want to try that.

RiceMonster
March 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Deluge has proxy support and encryption. I'd highly recommend it; there's lots of features, it's got a clean interface and it works very well. The best torrent client on Linux IMO.

brucemartin
March 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
+1 for deluge

BrokenKingpin
March 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM
afaik μtorrent works fine under wine, if you want to try that.

Why use something under wine when there are plenty of native alternatives that are just as good, if not better?

I would go with Transmission, I have never had any issues with it, and I like the web front-end feature.

MrDevilHand
March 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
+1 for Transmission :popcorn:

joey-elijah
March 28th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Transmission FTW, HBC.

pjman
April 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I'm trying to use Transmission over a proxy but it seems like it only uses the proxy for tracker connections, not the data transfers. Does anyone know of a way to get the data connection to go over a proxy?

Thanks!

EarthMind
April 29th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Either Transmission because it's small, fast and for once not written in Python, or Vuze/Azearus because it's AWESOME, has tons of features and is amazingly customizable.

cgroza
April 29th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Transmission, I used Deluge but I don't know there was too less space for torrents to be listed.

ttshivers
April 29th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Transmission, I used Deluge but I don't know there was too less space for torrents to be listed.

Yep. I also use Transmission. Its pretty simple and easy to use.

lovinglinux
April 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I use Ktorrent, which is great, but for Gnome I recommend Deluge too.

P4man
April 29th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Transmission for some reason seems to clog up my internet connection even if i set upload and download limits to a fraction of my linespeed. I dont have this with deluge.

I was about to complain about deluge's lack of a scheduler, but what do you know, I just checked, and the plugin is BACK. Now I have no qualms recommending it. One of the best BT clients out there IMHO.

barney385
April 29th, 2010, 10:50 PM
+1 for Transmission :popcorn:

+2

:lol: