PDA

View Full Version : Windows Calculator.... Rules??

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 08:37 AM
So I got around to playing with Win7 calculator just now.

Wow. I never thought I would say this but MS really kind of made something neat out of their flagship app! :o

It has a really intuitive date calculator built into it, you can find out how much time between two dates/times...

It will also create little worksheets for ya concerning loans, mortgages, leases and even fuel economy. Pretty good idea I gotta say.

It also has a "history" now.

If anybody comes across anything neat-o like that in the repos please let me know.

Linuxforall
March 28th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Check out qalculate and zhu3d.

Psumi
March 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Uh-huh... like I really need that in a subsidized apartment when I make 777 USD/mo on Supplemental Security Income.

Give me xcalc any day.

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Check out qalculate and zhu3d.

I will do just that.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Uh-huh... like I really need that in a subsidized apartment when I make 777 USD/mo on Supplemental Security Income.

Give me xcalc any day.
I'm pretty sure he never said anything about you needing anything. ;)

CharlesA
March 28th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I would just use Excel for creating worksheets, not a calculator... interesting feature tho.

Also: Qcalculate is great for factorials..

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I would just use Excel for creating worksheets, not a calculator... interesting feature tho.

Also: Qcalculate is great for factorials..

I'm the opposite way. There has been many times I have wanted to roughly calculate something trivial but couldn't be bothered with excel....

speedwell68
March 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Does the MS calculator still have the Windows 3.11 bug? In Windows 3.11 if you did 3.11 - 3.1 it would give the answer as 0.:lol:

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Does the MS calculator still have the Windows 3.11 bug? In Windows 3.11 if you did 3.11 - 3.1 it would give the answer as 0.:lol:

Now every operation just results in 7 :lolflag:

Giant Speck
March 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM
So I got around to playing with Win7 calculator just now.

Wow. I never thought I would say this but MS really kind of made something neat out of their flagship app! :o

It has a really intuitive date calculator built into it, you can find out how much time between two dates/times...

It will also create little worksheets for ya concerning loans, mortgages, leases and even fuel economy. Pretty good idea I gotta say.

It also has a "history" now.

If anybody comes across anything neat-o like that in the repos please let me know.

Oh wow. I knew Windows 7's calculator had unit conversion, but I didn't know it had all that stuff.

chriswyatt
March 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I thought the the calculator they released for PowerToys was pretty neat, had a play with it once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Powercalc.PNG

standingwave
March 28th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I use Grpn for simple calculations as I prefer postfix notation. For example, my real life calculator is almost thirty years old:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/15.jpg

I've owned every model in this series at some point in my life. I really think hp broke the mold with the Voyager line. For quick date calculations I use the date duration calculator (http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html) an online application. Anything more complex I use a spreadsheet.

juancarlospaco
March 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Thats interesting...,
if Windows adds a Complex app its a unique wonderfull advantage,
if Ubuntu adds a Complex app its not ready for prime time and for geek only.

forrestcupp
March 28th, 2010, 10:56 PM
We all know that there are good calculators out there to download. But I have to agree with the original point. They really made some good changes to the built in calculator in W7, even for the simple calculator part.

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 11:22 PM
We all know that there are good calculators out there to download. But I have to agree with the original point. They really made some good changes to the built in calculator in W7, even for the simple calculator part.

At first my original post was going to be how Windows 7 calculator did more the default install of Dapper. But I figured that was pushing it ;)