PDA

View Full Version : Which p2p client do you use?

dreammaker7z
March 28th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I introduce you to use FrostWire. very good to search for you.

thekanuk
March 28th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Limewire & Utorrent.

chappajar
March 28th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I personally don't use P2P but I occasionally use bittorrent for legal files. Right now in Azureus, I am seeding the ubuntu i386 dapper iso and once I seed that for 1-2 hours, I will start seeding breezy. Do you use P2P or Bittorrent programs ?

Bittorrent is p2p....
EDIT: ah, I see I've just aided and abetted in thread resurrection :p

cariboo
March 28th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I created a new thread, so the old one could rest in peace. :)

gnomeuser
March 28th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I use Transmission for Bittorrent, but lately it has become utter crap with ratio bugs, cpu load bugs and nasty crashers. I am thinking I will go back to using Monsoon, at least there the maintainer doesn't blantantly ignore bugs or close bugs which aren't really fixed.

Phrea
March 28th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I use Transmission for Bittorrent, but lately it has become utter crap with ratio bugs, cpu load bugs and nasty crashers. I am thinking I will go back to using Monsoon, at least there the maintainer doesn't blantantly ignore bugs or close bugs which aren't really fixed.

No problems with Transmission here.

I do some usenet, and frostwire has become obsolete since r*dtube...

ikt
March 28th, 2010, 08:26 AM
deluge

Jekshadow
March 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I2PSnark (on the I2P Pseudonymous Overlay Network) and Transmission (on the Internet).

Psumi
March 28th, 2010, 08:50 AM
deluge.

Phrea
March 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Hear good things about Deluge, have to give it a try !

standingwave
March 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Transmission - Only issue I have is that when I try to pluck just one or more files (but not all) from a torrent, Transmission invariably downloads fragments of other files in the torrent. It's more of an annoyance really since it's easy to save the file(s) I want and delete the fragments but I have seen this since on all releases since what was ever included in Hardy when I began using Linux regularly.

Paqman
March 28th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Mostly rtorrent on my NAS, but if I use one from the desktop it's Transmission.

I really don't like desktop P2P clients though. Leaving a 100W PC running just for a torrent is ridiculous.

lovinglinux
March 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I use Ktorrent, which is awesome. Deluge is my recommended for Gnome users.

Transmission - Only issue I have is that when I try to pluck just one or more files (but not all) from a torrent, Transmission invariably downloads fragments of other files in the torrent. It's more of an annoyance really since it's easy to save the file(s) I want and delete the fragments but I have seen this since on all releases since what was ever included in Hardy when I began using Linux regularly.

That's not the client fault. That's the nature of multiple file torrents.

handy
March 28th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Transmission. It doesn't give me any problems.

Only a few days ago I took delivery of a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (drive-less). It has a cut down version of Debian running it, & takes 1 or 2 drives. I put a 1TB WD Green drive in it & set it up on NFS & some other services; one of which is the built-in BitTorrent service.

So I will be able to now use a lot less electricity when torrenting. I haven't tried it out yet; unfortunately it is using the original "BitTorrent" client (no encryption). You access it from your browser & can turn off your computer & let the little ReadyNAS box handle it.

[Edit:] I just started testing it out. I don't like the BitTorrent interface much, the settings leave a lot to be desired. But I'll learn to live with it I guess.

chappajar
March 28th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Transmission.
Refreshingly simple and elegant after Azerus and uTorrent.

I just hope the 10.04 repos include a version beyond 1.8; we need to be able to use magnet links.

Paqman
March 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I just hope the 10.04 repos include a version beyond 1.8; we need to be able to use magnet links.

Check it out for yourself (http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/transmission) :D

_h_
March 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Transmission = Win. :popcorn:

HoboJ
March 28th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Transmission here. It's so simple and that's why I like it.

Dayofswords
March 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM
the awesomeness that is deluge

gletob
March 28th, 2010, 03:00 PM
On Linux/Mac: Deluge

On Windows: µTorrent

deluge is just too fat on windows

standingwave
March 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM
That's not the client fault. That's the nature of multiple file torrents.Ah, thanks. I have zero issues with Transmission then...

Chronon
March 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I use Ktorrent. I have been trying qBittorrent too.

pickboy87
March 29th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I use rtorrent and Sabnzbd+.

Sorry OP, but frostwire = teh sux.

Bungo Pony
March 29th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Believe it or not, WinMX. I tweaked it and got it running reliably under WINE and there's still a lot of people using it.

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Transmission

RiceMonster
March 29th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Deluge or KTorrent for torrents depending on whether or not I'm using Gnome or KDE.

I also use Nicotine+ for Soulseek.

handy
March 29th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I found a lite Transmission add-on for the ReadyNAS box; it has a client side browser interface, comes with the normal Transmission encryption & block list (which it updates everyday) & thus far works a treat. :)

chappajar
March 29th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Check it out for yourself (http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/transmission) :D

Thanks! ;)

gradinaruvasile
March 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Deluge. I tried Transmission, but it had lower transfer rates anddropped connections. Deluge, in contrast with transmission's speed just flies.

cascade9
March 29th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Deluge for torrents.

I also use Nicotine+ for Soulseek.

I was wondering if anybody else used this. I used to use nicotine+ on windows..mainly because the slsk client is buggy, has less features, is less usebale and overall its ugly mess (its funny when a winGTK program fits in better with your theme than a windows native client)

BlueWolf_
March 29th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Torrentflux-b4rt (with BitTornade as it's backend) on my server so I can let it run 24/7 to download the very slow ones :)
Yes, it's sometimes buggy, but I love it because it's able to run on a server.

Barrucadu
March 29th, 2010, 12:12 PM
rtorrent, on my server.