PDA

View Full Version : crazy question

yester64
March 28th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Hey, this is really crazy, at least for me.
I would like to learn violin and i have absolutly no plan what i need. Well, of course the instrument. But what make should you get if you start.
Are book good to learn or better have a teacher.
You see, its a real newbie thing. I know how to play a guitar (learned it) and play also some flute. But violin is so much different. Like a fretless bass.

Any input or guidance is welcome. I really like to learn such an instrument and if its only to torture my living partner.

Qualia
March 28th, 2010, 06:17 AM
oh geez :D, I haven't played violin in awhile, if I remeber correctly, for the bow, you need resin (if you ask for that in a violen repair shop or a place that sells violins they'll probably know what you are talking about.) You use the resin to rub against (not rub, but stroke in one direction, otherwise it might screw up the bow) the bow, so that everytime you use the bow with the violin, it will sound nice and the bow will gently go across the violin strings.

Personally though, I'd say buy a book, and get a teacher. You'll need the book to practice by yourself, but there is only so much you can do just from a book. Its best by having a book and teacher.

Wait, I forgot to ask: did you already buy a voilin? Since there are specific sizes depending on your arm length..

pastalavista
March 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM
http://learningviolin.com/

underquark
March 28th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I really like to learn such an instrument and if its only to torture my living partner.That's a bit disturbing. Was your previous instrument particularly dangerous?

With any instrument the main thing is daily practice. Allow at least an hour per day for general playing and about four if you're a professional.

yester64
March 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
no, so far i did not buy anything.
Since this is a new instrument i am very hesitant to buy something because it might be the wrong item.
I have to visit a instrument shop and take a look.
May i ask if it is hart to learn? Guitar took me a while to learn but it was pretty quick to play something. Not sure how it is with a violin.
Is there a particular brand i should look for as the least expensive but still good quality for a beginner?
Oh and what is about the size.

paydaydaddy
March 28th, 2010, 07:17 PM
More than anything the violin requires a very good ear, more so than just about any other instrument. The fingering requires such precision that overshooting or undershooting notes by a slight fraction of an inch will make your playing unbearable for many. For instance, I cannot tolerate Charlie Daniels playing live because he has a tendancy to play sharp. Good songwriter, decent recording artist, not so good live. A moderately good violin with a good bow is a better combination than a good violin with a bow that is only so-so. Don't scrimp on the bow. Get a shoulder support that clamps to the body of the violin. It helps a lot with stability. If you are a normal size adult you should be fine with a full size instrument. You may save some money by starting with a 3/4 size student model. You can upgrade later if you decide to stick with it. An electronic chromatic tuner can be a time saver when it comes to tuning. That reminds me, get the fine tuning knobs that install at the bridge end on each string. Use the pegs at the head to get close for tuning and then fine tune with the bridge knobs. I know it's not the way Mozart did it, but you'll appreciate it in the long run. Get a good case, it's some of the best insurance you can buy. Now, go home and practice! {8^)