PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use Ubuntu One?

murderslastcrow
March 28th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Why do I ask? Well, I figure this should be a simple way to find the minimum number of Ubuntu users. Since I'm certain that Canonical is aware of the exact number of Ubuntu One accounts there are, this means if we have that number, we can compare it to the percentages here to give a somewhat biased number of total Ubuntu users out there.

The point here is that, since most people who have an account or frequent the forums would be MORE LIKELY to utilize Ubuntu One, this would tilt the results in a direction that should give us a lower percentage of non-UbuntuOne-using Ubuntu users than is in reality, hence a lower number for all users, giving us what I would see as an absolute minimum number of Ubuntu users, if everyone answers honestly.

So please, vote, and soon we can get a good idea for an understatement of Ubuntu's user base.

earthpigg
March 28th, 2010, 05:54 AM
i haven't seen anything compelling enough to make me move away from dropbox.

dropbox temporarily suspended my free public dbox shortly after Masonux got in the top 100 over at distrowatch.org, but i really can't blame them for that.

murderslastcrow
March 28th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Yeah, Dropbox is basically the same thing, but with the new Music Store, I'm more actively using my Ubuntu One account. I've already bought a few albums- I love that the bitrate is more optimal than what you'd get from other equivalent services. :D

But yeah, Dropbox rocks, there's no doubt about that.

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I don't use it, so I voted no, but I think Ubuntu One is a good idea!

AllRadioisDead
March 28th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Naw feel. Dropbox is where it's at.

Psumi
March 28th, 2010, 06:55 AM
No, I do not use it; and I dislike cloud services such as online storage.

Phrea
March 28th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Ridiculous poll.
Most people haven't even seen it...

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 06:58 AM
No, I do not use it; and I dislike cloud services such as online storage.

I think it's great. Serves as a back-up and lets you access your files from pretty much anywhere in today's world.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 28th, 2010, 07:13 AM
No, but I'm sure I'll use it a lot more once I start using the Ubuntu One music store!

Psumi
March 28th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I think it's great. Serves as a back-up and lets you access your files from pretty much anywhere in today's world.

I'd rather not have my personal information stored on an online server, as well as copyrighted material such as music, logos, etc.

As that's all I have nowadays.

murderslastcrow
March 28th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I think of Ubuntu as backup and synchronization rather than "omg personal files on a server!" I mean, it's encoded and protected for one, so only you have the right to access your files as far as I've read, and I think it'd be silly to put personal files on it anyway when they should fit much more conveniently on external media.

I mean, really, why pay monthly fees for 50 GB of online storage when you can carry around a 500 GB flash drive and pay only 60 dollars TODAY, for those sensitive files? I see this as a tool for convenience as much as anything else.

But I don't see this as being any worse than using a remote connection or some other internet-based networking to move files along. Servers are just addresses you access files through, the whole internet is just a bunch of connections, so having it all in a convenient place makes a lot of sense to me.

gnomeuser
March 28th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Ubuntu One really isn't that useful to me currently. I am more interested in cloud storage for my files than synchronization, where I want synchronization for things like mails, contacts, IM logs and such it currently doesn't even begin to fill the void as U1 doesn't run on my N900 nor is it integrated there.

Pointless, infact the only thing I use it for currently is to make sure that my Fluendo codec pack doesn't get lost.

BinaryFeast
March 28th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I want to try it out, but I don't really have any use for it (yet).

alexfish
March 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM
It may have its uses ,but not for me , a usb stick or drive can be used to better effect, also you are not dependant on ISPs and their Policies

tica vun
March 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I mainly use dropbox to post images on forums etc. Until ubuntu one has the same public link functionality, I've no use for it. I backup my data locally.

Paqman
March 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Ridiculous poll.

Everyone on Karmic or later has it installed by default.

I use it, it's a handy little service, and they've got good stuff in the pipeline for it.

Doctor Mike
March 28th, 2010, 06:11 PM
tried it a while back. kept running and running in the background. slowed down system. it may be fixed by now but I lost interest.

murderslastcrow
March 29th, 2010, 12:56 AM
In Lucid, it's far more integrated, and I love how it works with the new Ubuntu One music store- it's quite interesting. Also, the new dialog they have for Ubuntu One in the MeMenu seems to be in a good place, and there are a lot of ways we can probably integrate this with our social networking, among other things. There are a lot of possibilities to consider, especially if Ubuntu One gets a Windows version any time in the near feature.

swoll1980
March 29th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Ridiculous poll.

Yet 55% of those who voted have an account. Interesting. :-k

murderslastcrow
March 29th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I've only done a minimal amount of research on the number of Ubuntu One users, by the way- is anyone sure of the exact number or any related statistics I could glean from? I'll be taking a closer look today.