PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] flash in 10.04 beta 1 64bit

bigsmitty64
March 28th, 2010, 03:34 AM
downloaded libflashplayer.tar.gz extracted it, but when i try to copy the extracted libflashplayer.so into the usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder, i get the following error:

Error opening file '/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so': Permission denied

why is it saying it can't open it, when i'm just trying to "copy" it into the folder? I'm a little confused.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Smitty

QIII
March 28th, 2010, 04:13 AM
How are you trying to move it? In Nautilus (the graphical interface) or from the CLI?

bigsmitty64
March 28th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I open the folder, right click the tar.gz file, then choose extract. Then I tried copy/paste, AND drag the extracted file into the other folder.

QIII
March 28th, 2010, 04:25 AM
You won't be able to do it that way. You need elevated permissions to move that file to the intended destination.

First, is the file currently in your Home partition (/home/whoeveryouare)? If so, it's easy. If not, put a copy there.

You will need to use the Command Line Interface (CLI) with elevated privileges.

Click Applications | Accessories | Terminal

Type the following at the prompt:

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/pluginsYou will be prompted for your password. Type in your login password. You won't see anything happening on the screen. That is normal.

The file will be copied (what I just told you to do was copy (cp) not move (mv)) to the directory where you need it.

Your prompt will come back in a flash.

If you want to see that it has been copied, use Nautilus again to check to see if it is there.

(Note: in the CLI, "sudo" temporarily raises your privileges to pretty close to root. The elevated privilege lasts about 15 minutes, so that you are not indefinitely subject to security issues.)

QIII
March 28th, 2010, 04:35 AM
On second thought, you could

gksudo nautilus and use the graphical interface, but if you're in the CLI already, might as well do what I said above.

bigsmitty64
March 28th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I did it in cli, and it shows up in the proper folder now, but I still have no flash. As in youtube videos and such.

bigsmitty64
March 28th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I got it to work,
Synaptic Package manager, type :

Flashplugin-installer or nonfree (forget which one I used), mark for installation ,apply, restart firefox

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

QIII
March 28th, 2010, 05:37 AM
That has given you the 32-bit version with nspluginwrapper.

Just as well for most people. 64 bit Flash for Linux is a long-standing Beta and is not perfect.

I use the 64 bit version, but know all the ins and outs of making it work well.

bigsmitty64
March 29th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I use the 64 bit version, but know all the ins and outs of making it work well.

What am I doing wrong with it? I did it (I'm pretty sure) the way you said the first time.

I find that, with this way I did it, it works (can watch a vid on youtube) but I cannot adjust volume or use the slider, or the pause/play in the vid.