PDA

View Full Version : Linux percentage....WOW

robertcoulson
March 28th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Did not realize that Linux user percentage was as high as this graoh implies...???
Rober
P.S. - Taken from Full Circle Magazine

madnessjack
March 28th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I'm pretty sure that graph accounts for the Ars Technia team. Would be nice though :P

tgalati4
March 28th, 2010, 02:41 AM
At what point to we break the 1% desktop share? When Ars(e) Technica says we're at 10%?

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Ya I don't think that's worldwide stats.

But I am always confused by such statistics...

Do I count as 1 for Linux and 1 for Ubuntu as I dual boot?

Same with browser statistics. I use both Firefox and Chrome regularly.. do both count?

robertcoulson
March 28th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Well..I am wrong AGAIN...And what are the percentages as far as we know, without polling all computer users in the world....???
Robert

robertcoulson
March 28th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Hey derekeverett (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=445628)
Am I seeing things or is there an "R" missing in one of the words of your AVATAR...???
Robert

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Hey derekeverett (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=445628)
Am I seeing things or is there an "R" missing in one of the words of your AVATAR...???
Robert

Not sure I follow?....

robertcoulson
March 28th, 2010, 02:55 AM
"If at first it doesn't work.. though a temper tantrum, rant about how it sucks, and hate it forever."
The word though, should it be spelled "through or throw"...Maybe it's me....???
Robert

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 03:12 AM
"If at first it doesn't work.. though a temper tantrum, rant about how it sucks, and hate it forever."
The word though, should it be spelled "through or throw"...Maybe it's me....???
Robert

That's my signature not my avatar.. but thanks. I think.....

robertcoulson
March 28th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to get you mad at me, just trying to help.
Bob

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to get you mad at me, just trying to help.
Bob

It's appreciated actually. I just couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or helpful...

Hard to tell with typing sometimes. Thank god for emoticons :)

inobe
March 28th, 2010, 03:18 AM
desktops aren't statistical, servers can only be accounted for, any other way is merely a guess.

you can guess and think your close.

Tu1J4kXk8NUhMz
March 28th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Statistics can be used to prove anything...

85% of all statistics are made up. And you know what they say about a box of wine on a date...70% of the time it works every time! :-P

robertcoulson
March 28th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Derekeverett...I would never talk down to anyone or be sarcastic, and if I knew how to send a private message, I would have...That way it probably would have not LOOKED like I was trying to embarrass you (check out my spelling , ha,ha)
Robert

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Derekeverett...I would never talk down to anyone or be sarcastic, and if I knew how to send a private message, I would have...That way it probably would have not LOOKED like I was trying to embarrass you (check out my spelling , ha,ha)
Robert

No worries.

I'm not embarrassed, I make mistakes like everyone else. Better you told me than let me keep going around with a spelling mistake!

robertcoulson
March 28th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Good
Robert

uberlube
March 28th, 2010, 04:15 AM
lol hey derekeverett, i used to live in edmonton until dec, now im in calgary. Just though id let u know :P

Penguin Guy
March 28th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Most professional servers use Linux; if we narrowed the graph down to only desktop computers then I expect the percentage would be much lower. However I do know two people in real life who use Linux - so it can't be that unpopular. Here's a more reliable graph (http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-200807-201003).

Wikipedia:
Usage share of operating systems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems)
Usage share of web browsers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers)

derekeverett
March 28th, 2010, 04:28 AM
lol hey derekeverett, i used to live in edmonton until dec, now im in calgary. Just though id let u know :P

As long as your not cheering for the flames than thats ok. ;)

How come you moved?

uberlube
March 28th, 2010, 04:32 AM
As long as your not cheering for the flames than thats ok. ;)

How come you moved?

LoL id get my beans burnt if i were to say what i want about the flamers in here lol. Oilers FTW. Id still be in Millwoods but i get to live with parents for free down here while getting college done. I pretty much go where my mooching sack takes me. :D

chappajar
March 28th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Ya I don't think that's worldwide stats.

But I am always confused by such statistics...

Do I count as 1 for Linux and 1 for Ubuntu as I dual boot?

Same with browser statistics. I use both Firefox and Chrome regularly.. do both count?

They don't count you or your computer, they're only interested in the OS you are using when counted.
So you are being counted in two columns.

inobe
March 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Statistics can be used to prove anything...

85% of all statistics are made up. And you know what they say about a box of wine on a date...70% of the time it works every time! :-P

i believe one out of every twenty "other os" users tried some variant of linux, now what i believe is meaningless without proof.

is it worth a discussion ? sure' if something concrete can be presented forth ;)

the wine thing, well' i never needed wine :P

robertcoulson
March 29th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Pehguin Guy...Good site, have bookmarked it already...Wish Linux did better than the chart reflects.
Robert