PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I get rid of Windows?

Paul2795
March 28th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I am trying to install 9.10 on an Ipex Celeron 500 I was given. It has Windows XP on it, which I want replace with 9.10, but the problem is, it is taking up too memory for the 9.10 installation to work and will have to be cleared from the hardrive before the 9.10 installation can go ahead. Can anyone help?

kvarley
March 28th, 2010, 01:20 AM
If you have backed up all your data, run the live disc, open up terminal and type:

sudo gparted

GParted will let you format your hard drive and then the installer will have space.

zvacet
March 28th, 2010, 01:21 AM
it is taking up too memory for the 9.10 installation to work

How much ram do you have?Maybe you can try something lighter like Xubuntu. (http://www.xubuntu.org/)

Mark Phelps
March 28th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I am trying to install 9.10 on an Ipex Celeron 500 I was given. It has Windows XP on it, which I want replace with 9.10, but the problem is, it is taking up too memory for the 9.10 installation to work and will have to be cleared from the hardrive before the 9.10 installation can go ahead. Can anyone help?

Unless you're trying to install Ubuntu INSIDE XP using Wubi, memory has nothing whatsoever to do with it. You're confusing memory with disk space.

Just boot from the Ubuntu CD and choose the "Use entire disk" option. That will reformat your hard drive and use it all for Ubuntu.