PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Starting an application from a "Custom Application Launcher" doesn't work

andy80
March 27th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to create a "Custom Application Launcher" for Team Speak VOIP client. I've unpacked it into /home/andrea/TS/ and I can start it from command line using:

andrea@centurion:~/TS$ ./ts3client_runscript.sh

I've created a normal "Custom Application Launcher" for this application, but clicking on it doesn't work :\
Maybe there is some PATH error, but I cannot see the error since there's no output.

If it can help, here you can find the script: http://pastebin.com/09YPgJkY

How can I make it work? Thanks!

ajgreeny
March 27th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I think you may need the full pathway to the script, ie
/home/andrea/TS/ts3client_runscript.shin the command box of the launcher. Don't forget you must make the script executable as well for it to work from the launcher.

efflandt
March 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Starting a path with "./" runs it from the current directory, which from a terminal is your home dir, but from a desktop launcher may be your Desktop dir. So you may either need to use "~/" if that script is in your home directory, or the full path starting with "/home/andrea/". If in doubt, it is best to use a full path.

andy80
March 28th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Starting a path with "./" runs it from the current directory, which from a terminal is your home dir, but from a desktop launcher may be your Desktop dir. So you may either need to use "~/" if that script is in your home directory, or the full path starting with "/home/andrea/". If in doubt, it is best to use a full path.

Hello,

I even tried using absolute path too, but I think that the problem is that it cannot find some libraries in PATH, available only in /home/andrea/TS/ folder. But I really don't know how to fix this.

ajgreeny
March 28th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Did you actually make the script file executable, as I said is needed? If not, I don't think it will ever work.

andy80
March 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Did you actually make the script file executable, as I said is needed? If not, I don't think it will ever work.

of course it's executable.. how could I execute it from command line if not?

ajgreeny
March 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM
You can execute a .sh file even if it's not executable in command line with
sh filename.shso you could still be using, or trying to use a non executable file. I admit I didn't really notice the actual command you used in terminal, which I now see, having looked closer, would need executable permissions.

DomRepDave
May 4th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I have exactly the same problem. When I click on the launcher you can tell something is happening but there is no output. I am a complete Ubuntu novice, is it easy to add the locations/libraries in $PATH? I imagine I have to make available the directory in which the application was created.