PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Karmic - Mobile broadband considerations

mathiaho
March 27th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Hello!

First of all, I want to say what a great forum this is! I've been Lurking here for a long time, and so far I have found answers to all my questions through the search function. Well, this is the time for my first post. ;)

I have a desktop computer, running Karmic, that I want to equip with a mobile broadband connection. I am concerned about compatibility issues between ubuntu and the usb-dongle. Living in Norway, I really don't have lots of choices. The default dongle from the operator (NetCom) is ZTE MF636. They also have a dongle from Huawei, but they haven't listed the model number. I've sent them an e-mail and I'm waiting for their reply.
I've searched various Norwegian shops, and I found an alternative in the Nokia CS-15.

Searching the net, it seems to me that both the ZTE MF636 and the Nokia CS-15 have issues with Karmic, but I might be wrong?

Alternatively I could by something from ebay, the Huawei E220 (http://global.ebay.com/Huawei_E220_USB_Modem_dongle_UNLOCKED_3G_HSDPA_72/270552500629/item), for example?

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

mathiaho
April 15th, 2010, 06:47 PM
If anyone cares, I bought the Huawei E220 through ebay. It works :P

pdc
April 15th, 2010, 07:57 PM
we all care, very, very much about you;

well done on getting it to work

mathiaho
April 18th, 2010, 08:24 PM
:) :) :)