PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Remote Desktop Sessions

RasterBurn
March 27th, 2010, 08:19 PM
hello, i am wondering something, i am thinking in the future there is a chance i will be purchasing a small laptop, just the whole freedom of movement sort of thing, anyways, what i am thinking is that i want the laptop small enough that it will be affordable but good enough to do what i need it to do...

what i am looking to do with it is run it minimally with a full enviroment (obviously) connect to my desktop through a remote desktop connection, but before i can really consider what i am looking at for hardware specs or cost of the laptop, first off i want to set it up like a KVM host client kind of setup where everything is run on the "host" system (my desktop computer) the network supports full wireless N (so thats not a problem) does Remote Desktop do this sort of thing, also being my desktop automatically logs me in when i boot it up what steps would i have to do to make it work and then if i am running an application and i close the connection, what happens to everything running? so in simplest forms:

1)do I need to log out in order to connect via remote desktop?
2)will the programs on my desktop run on the desktop or will they run on the rd client during a session?
3)what happens to process' started during the session if the session is closed?

the answers to these questions will define what i should look at for a laptop when it comes down to getting one, i will probably ask more questions based on the answers i get back.

RasterBurn
March 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
bump