PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wanting to install Ubuntu over Mint Linux...

Leedo
March 27th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I currently have a system running Windows 7 and Mint Linux, Mint is ok but I was used to Ubuntu on my old system and wish to install it on this newer system. I read several forums how Mint was soo much better but I was just used to Ubuntu and would like to switch back, so here's the question... Can I do this safely, will Ubuntu's Grub overwrite Mint's and dual boot 7 and Ubuntu like it does now with Mint? I don't mind formatting the Linux partition I have but I don't want to lose Windows 7 or my dual boot option. I know I could use and flash drive but I'd like to keep it on my hard drive if I could. Also are the issues with Grub 2 fixed yet so it detects Windows 7. BTW I didn't say but this is a 64 bit install of both systems... Thanks for any answers...

coolcaseley67
March 27th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hi
- i like mint more in ubuntu , and mint is Ubuntu based ( both the same ) .
- if you wanted to share with mint , ubuntu & win7 that would be fine .
will Ubuntu's Grub overwrite Mint's and dual boot 7 and Ubuntu like it does now with Mint?
yes to both point
Also are the issues with Grub 2 fixed yet so it detects Windows 7
- There is an update to fix that .
- make sure you cd of ubuntu is new
64 bit
that will not make a difference
hope it helps

maybeway36
March 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM
If you want to replace Mint with Ubuntu, you could just remove the Mint partition with GParted and then select "Use free space" in Ubuntu's installer.