PDA

View Full Version : timid about my sweet new phone and rooting it

PatrickMoore
March 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I just got a mytouch 3g last month and i love it but i want more capability such as removing garbage from the drawer and speeding up the transition from letter to landscape so im considering rooting my phone. I'm familiar with unlocking since i used to have a tilt that i used custom roms on. but im afraid that unlocking all the new capabilities may leave me discontent with what i have and force me to constantly mess with the phone until i brick it. so what im asking is do any of you have rooted android phones and is it worth the effort and practice of self control?

descendent87
March 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I have the magic (same phone, different name) and gave up waiting for vodafone to update to 2.0+ so rooted it and run cyanogen mod, it's a lot quicker and has most the best parts from 2.1 backported. I say go for it.
Check out cyanogenmod's wiki, has instructions for making a backup of your phone before you root it so if you ever change your mind you can go back to exactly how it was.....not that you'll want to

PatrickMoore
March 28th, 2010, 04:18 PM
im doing it!!! this afternoon. would it be easier for me to do it with windows or ubuntu? it seems windows but im getting error messages and that is irritating me

PatrickMoore
March 29th, 2010, 05:31 AM
success! i rock

wewantutopia
March 29th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Elgin IL, HA! What's up local guy?!