PDA

View Full Version : My appendix burst last night...

fatality_uk
March 27th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Just invade no one is aware, it really

HURTS

I'm posting froth HD2 and really, seriously, never mind which side the close button is on make the forums more finger frendly

dragos240
March 27th, 2010, 04:10 PM

HURTS

I'm posting froth HD2 and really, seriously, never mind which side the close button is on make the forums more finger frendly

Doesn't the appendix contain toxins that can harm you? Where are you, the hospital?

HermanAB
March 27th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I can feel your pain. You are sure to remember the experience the rest of your life.

Mine burst when I was 12 and I spent 3 months in hospital. I'm about 400% older now, so judging by a sample size of one, your odds of survival is quite good!

So, try not to laugh - it hurts.

fatality_uk
March 27th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Doesn't the appendix contain toxins that can harm you? Where are you, the hospital?

Yes hospital in wakefield!!
Hence the post from my phone
Appendix came out at 1:30am
Didn't ask for it lol :)

swoll1980
March 27th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Get well. Hope you feel better.

CharlesA
March 27th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Get well soon.

madjr
March 27th, 2010, 07:47 PM
ARRRGH

i think mine is beginning to hurt just by imagining it ugh

what u felt when it exploded? did u threw up blood? is there a hole ?

sorry just curious

i hope u get well

Phrea
March 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
*cringe* :-&

hambone79
March 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM

HURTS

You ain't kidding! Mine almost ruptured when I was 13. When I got to the hospital I was in so much pain that I didn't even notice the nurse put my IV in.

Anyway, take it easy and get back on your feet as soon as you can. The more you keep moving the less stiffness and pain you will have during your recovery.

Nickedynick
March 27th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Ouch, feel better soon! :) I had mine taken out when I was in year 6 (10 years old) and apparently that was close to rupturing. I did ask for it, but apparently they don't do that anymore!

Laughing really hurts though, I was in a ward next to some comedian kid and felt like I was going to die every time he spoke. Also, the ride home wasn't fun - I could feel every bump.

themarker0
March 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM
My dad got his out last year, i remember he was out for a while. My mum got hers when she was young, was really sick.

RabbitWho
March 27th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I can feel your pain. You are sure to remember the experience the rest of your life.

Mine burst when I was 21 (or something) maybe 19.. it got inflamed.. I ignored it.. took a day off school thinking i had a stomach bug.. assessments coming up and refused to go to a doctor even though the pain didn't subside.
A month later.. I guess that's when it burst.. a lot of pain, almost the worst I've experienced.
Two days later went to the doctor, he told me it was fine and it was just one of those things.
Called out a doctor that night. he said it was fine gave me lots of *******. that worked for about half an hour or so, and then left me high and.. what's the word.. mental... for the rest of the night, still in pain, convinced I was going to die, but reasonably cheery about the whole thing.
Mom called an ambulance in the morning. I adore the ambulance drivers, they deserve medals for awesome.
Went to the hospital.
They said "look we can't do anything until you go to the bathroom and give us a urine sample"
Went to the bathroom.
no lock on the door
Bathroom just off the main reception of the hospital, took baby steps all the way there, standing, walking, ugh
nurse looked in on me holding the door open ever 3 minutes to see if i'd managed it yet.
of course I hadn't
they put me on a drip and gave me more tea
finally gave me a wheel chair
made me stand for an x-ray
more tea
about 12 hours later finally asked
"so when was the last time you went to the toilet anyway?"
"about 3 days ago"
"Oh.... we're going to need a catheter then"
"...." (i used to work in a vets, i knew what that was going to mean.)
[let's just skip this next bit]
oh the relief
3 days!
doctors and nurses finally got it through their heads that maybe i wasn't faking it and maybe it was something serious
met with surgeon
lay me on the table and pressed down on my stomock, down didn't hurt, release AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH he did this about 8 times around in a circle
"don't you think you've done that enough times?"
[realization comes over face when noise-making pillow speaks to him]
"Yes I suppose I have"
here are your x-rays.. no idea what's wrong... could be ovarian cysts could be some kind of ulcer could be your appendix could be *list of terrifying things*
so we're going to do a laparoscopy.. do you know what it is?
"remind me"
it's when we put a camera through your belly button *he didn't mention horribly*
"yeah that's it."
so we'll find out what it is, at that point we'll either deal with it, or in case its *list of horrible things* we'll need to call in some experts from Dublin.
Do you have any questions?
"Can I keep the x-rays/."
[smiles for the first time and laughs in relief.]
"No!"
another maybe 3 hours waiting for an operating room
an idiot surgeon tells my mother the operation should take about half an hour
I jump in
I say - That doesn't mean that if it takes longer than a half hour that something is wrong!!!!
"Oh yes yes, of course"
And yes it took about an hour and a half for me to come out and yes all the blood still drains from my mothers face when she thinks about it. God what an idiot that boy was.
say goodbye to my parents [not an awesome feeling]
wait on my own in a huge ward for half an hour to go in, sing the song "New Slang" quietly to myself to calm myself and it works and I accept everything.
Tell the nurse that i've been hi-cupping the whole day and ask if it might cause problems during the surgery, she explains i'll be paralyzed for it and not to worry and I smile and start wondering about being paralyzed forever.
go in, go dark, see lights kind of like a mac screen-saver i think, should have drawn them so i'd remember.
wake up, i immediately ask how my ovaries are. Nurses say they're fine and it was just my appendix [a friend of mine lost an ovary when her appendix burst so I ask again]
sleep most of the night
wake up to an old woman repeatedly screaming "NURSE NURSE NURSE NURSE NURSE"
I tried to hit the panic button for her but i could barely move
she had wanted to go to the toilet and decided to pull her drip out herself and was covered in blood.
nurses come, fall back to sleep
wake up, get more information, burst, infected, spread quite far, abscess, very lucky didn't loose surrounding organs or get poisoned and die, laparoscopy didn't do the trick (unless "the trick" was changing my nice oval belly button into a funny round one) so they added a 2 inch scar (which i don't mind nearly so much as the shape of my belly button)
about a week more in hospital, some wonderful nurses who I adore and will meet in heaven and thank if it exists. other horrible cows who i'll meet in hell who kept giving out to me for feeling sorry for myself. (usually with appendix you're only in hospital for 1 - 2 days) some of them bothered to read the chart and were nicer after that.
There were also day-workers who would ask every 5 minutes if i was finished eating and then stand 10 feet away from me and bitch and complain that "SHE isn't even eating it SHE just sits there looking at it." I haven't eaten anything in 3 days! It's not easy! **** you! that's what I should have said but i didn't.
I don't think i ever saw the same doctor twice and i don't remember any of them, i went back months later for a check up and one of the doctors felt sure I would remember him and looked positively hurt I didn't. Perhaps i made an impression as in that amount of pain I wasn't the socially awkward painfully shy person I normally am. My hands were shaking for an entirely different reason!

From now on I will call a doctor whenever pain exceeds what I would call a 5...
(What a stupid system anyway, do you know how many people asked me to rate the pain on a scale of 1-10 but how few people asked me "when was the last time you went to the toilet?")
I called the appendix pain a 6-7, they said 10 was the most pain you could ever imagine.. but I have a really vivid imagination and my mother said this is why they didn't take me seriously.. story of my life.

-grubby
March 27th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I had mine rupture when I was 7. I don't remember the experience much but I spent a few weeks in the hospital.

RabbitWho
March 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I had mine rupture when I was 7. I don't remember the experience much but I spent a few weeks in the hospital.

A few weeks! You must just have been happy to be off school.
I went home and stayed in bed another 3 days, then went downstairs and played final fantasy 9 straight through for the first time.

Awesome.

Oh I forgot to mention it was December 24th the day I went into hospital. So FF9 was a Christmas present.

It still was no-where near my worst Christmas because no one belonging to me died, most of the people I loved were still around to come visit me in hospital or see me after and my near-death experience even caused reconciliation between some estranged family members. It was totally worth-it just for that, you have no idea how great that was.

I also realized that love exists... 1984 made me think it was an illusion, i don't have a phobia like Winston does, I always figured pain would be enough to make me betray my family, but when I was in that pain I didn't for one second wish it on my worst enemy, let alone the people I love, I just wanted the pain gone.
Family is everything. Pain is nothing. Especially not when it only lasts a few months. Maybe constant pain for years justifies some amount of selfishness. I'm just ranting now.

I always rant about my appendix, it's my absolute favorite story behind what I said to the hairdresser that one time.

thekanuk
March 27th, 2010, 09:25 PM
OUCH!

I hope you feel better soon. :)

fatality_uk
March 27th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Right, update! Not that anyone cares I know lol
The staff here are great. The **** they have to deal with is unreal.
Thanks for all the best wishes guys.
Had keyhole apendectamy which means I have been up and about all day. Incredible!! Not THAT long ago it was a bIg deal.

Sorryto hear that story rabbit, never nice to have to be in hospital but worse when things don't go right