PDA

View Full Version : Gnome-Shell is kinda growing on me, the more I use it.

empty_spaces
March 27th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I know it's still very much in active development, and only offers a few basic features at the moment, but I still find myself switching over to it quite often lately. It also seems pretty stable.
I do use the latest version of AWN to make it more usable, and the Applications are not classified by type, so using the keyboard helps.(See screenshots)
I haven't seen too much love for Gnome-Shell out here, but that's most probably because it's such a big departure from the traditional Gnome desktop.
I believe that as long as they make it as customizable and feature-rich as Gnome 2.X, it could turn out to be quite good.
Just my thoughts.

Psumi
March 27th, 2010, 03:41 PM
EDIT: Nevermind, saw the battery notification icon in the lower right of one picture.

madnessjack
March 27th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I tried it yesterday. Awkward at first, but yeah, it's damn good. If I wasn't so used to the way Compiz and Gnome panels handle multiple workspaces I would've stuck with it.

Growing to like it, for sure :)

swoll1980
March 27th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Awkward was also the first thing to come to my mind. It's a completely different way to manage windows. It would take some getting used to . Seems like it would be great for lap taps, or other small screened devices.

Frogs Hair
March 27th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I have viewed a Youtube video and seen many screen shots of the Gnome Shell, and the back ground is always black. Are there other options ?

swoll1980
March 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Hi,

I have viewed a Youtube video and seen many screen shots of the Gnome Shell, and the back ground is always black. Are there other options ?

It uses whatever back round you choose.

Frogs Hair
March 27th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks

juancarlospaco
March 27th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Gnome-Shell, is not finished but its already cool...

Psumi
March 27th, 2010, 05:14 PM

The user meant the panel color, which is changable via a CSS file.

empty_spaces
March 27th, 2010, 05:21 PM
The user meant the panel color, which is changable via a CSS file.

I haven't played around much with trying to customize gnome-shell.
How do I edit the CSS file?

Edit: Never mind, found it.
http://joneslee85.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/howto-customize-gnome-shell-theme/

Psumi
March 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I haven't played around much with trying to customize gnome-shell.
How do I edit the CSS file?

Might want to find out where it is first before going and changing it.

Check this google search. (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=gnome-shell+css)