PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] just want nvidia mx440 to work

drudogg
March 27th, 2010, 01:42 PM
A little background:

i have had a crunchbang server running for a while now. and i liked it for what it is. i had issues with graphics and decided to switch back to ubuntu. i had an ATI rage 16mb card in the dell slim tower. everything works fine, except the graphics started to mess up, i had it running at 1440x900, and then all of a sudden i get "input out of range" on my monitor. it is an ACER 19" widescreen. i determined the card was bad, and got an nvidia mx440 64mb. my choices are limited by AGP and Low Profile. upon installing any linux i have tried i get 800x600 on install, and if i enable nvidia restricted driver i get 640x480 or an error on boot with low graphics mode. this machine is used to store files and share a printer with my network of 6 other machines running xp, 7, and of course ubuntu.

Where I am now:

i want to install ubuntu, 10.04 alpha preferably, but will go with 9.04 or 9.10 if that matters, and get 1440x900 res on my monitor with my mx440 card. also i would like it to work right, as in things move smoothly, not jerky. so if i open a website, such as this forum, it will scroll up and down smoothly. i do not care about desktop effects, although it would be nice, and i don't want to play video or games on this machine. i only use it to set up a file and print server, and do some occasional websurfing.

tried nvidia driver, nv driver, and whatever it defaults to on load. unless i don't know what i am doing, then ...