PDA

View Full Version : Help the Ubuntu Community while waiting for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx!

l.billon
March 27th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Hi all,
I'm an engineering student who's been using Ubuntu since 2006, and I am writing a new blog entitled "Pause Hi-Tech".
I recently posted an article explaining to new users simple and non-coding related ways to contribute to the Ubuntu project, and I would be very thankful to you, experienced contributors, if you could read this article and tell me if you found any inaccuracy, or what you think of the overall article.

The URL is:
http://pausehitech.com/2010/03/27/help-the-ubuntu-community-while-waiting-for-ubuntu-lucid-lynx/

So thrilled by the Ubuntu Lucid Lynx upcoming release that you couldn’t resist upgrading to the beta? Not getting enough of your Ubuntu daily dose? Thousands of Ubuntu users are contributing to this project everyday, in order to deliver us with hundreds of awesome features and gazillions of bugfixes twice a year! Lend them a hand and become part of the Community!Once again, thank you.

Laurent BILLON

l.billon
March 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Please someone tell me whether I'm doing good or bad!

Psumi
March 28th, 2010, 05:37 PM
And if we're just a normal user with not much experience whatsoever and just want to use an OS as an OS and only report bugs and ask questions?

What then?

l.billon
March 28th, 2010, 05:52 PM
And if we're just a normal user with not much experience whatsoever and just want to use an OS as an OS and only report bugs and ask questions?

What then?
Well, I presume that is what most users do, and they are, of course, not forced to participate in Ubuntu's developpement, and can simply enjoy this great software and community support. Using this OS as an OS.

However, I think that we can't speak of Ubuntu while not speaking of the Community, and maybe some people are unaware of the fact that they can actively participate in the project, but may intend to do so once they have been shown how they could. That's what I wanted to do with this article.

Once more, It has never been my intention to make simple users feel guilty, nor force them to get involved, I have personnaly been a simple user for many years and most people I've shown Ubuntu to use it without participating to it.

Doctor Mike
March 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Ok, seems like a nice idea, but you need to look at your language structure. "personnally I see it as thanking back the Ubuntu Community".

Your png images are chopped off at my display resolution of 1024x768. If you could define you image space in % instead of absolute pixel size any viewer could just increase display if not resolvable at their resolution.

Didn't read all the content. Think you should look at language structure and image display first.

Good luck.

chessnerd
March 28th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I myself am very new to programming and can only program well in Java so I cannot contribute code, but often want to give back to the community. This is a good, well-organized resource for those wondering about an easier way to give back.

What then?

Then that's what you do. No one said that you had to give back to the community in the ways described.

Actually, asking questions can be an effective way to give back to the community. The questions that I post on this forum are ones that others also ask. I have had several people comment on posts I've made saying that they have the same problems and some of those people are able to comment a simple "Thanks for the help" because my problem was solved and the solution is now out there. Google searches for "Ubuntu Gateway T6330u" bring up my posts on this forum, so people with the same hardware dealing with problems I had are able to use those posts as a resource.

So report bugs, ask questions. What then? You'll help people.

l.billon
March 28th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Ok, seems like a nice idea, but you need to look at your language structure. "personnally I see it as thanking back the Ubuntu Community".

Your png images are chopped off at my display resolution of 1024x768. If you could define you image space in % instead of absolute pixel size any viewer could just increase display if not resolvable at their resolution.

Didn't read all the content. Think you should look at language structure and image display first.

Good luck.

Ok, I'll try to lighten my sentences, I'm not a native speaker, that's why some of them might seem weird, I'll work on that.

Argh, you're right, pictures look terrible @ 1024x768, I forgot to check the render at this resolution, terrible mistake. It will be fixed soon.

Thank you very much!

blackmail
March 28th, 2010, 06:14 PM
The article is very describing and has the necessary links, my personal opinion is that it is very good, it has some typos here and there, but mainly it is good. Liked it very much.
I am myself an Ubuntu user since 2007, and I also have started a little blog in my native language (Romanian) with some tips and tricks, and i am also working n a little booklet that should be a kick-starter for Ubuntu newbies.
All in all, the article is very good, i personally enjoyed reading it

l.billon
March 28th, 2010, 07:42 PM

Good luck.

I've fixed the images and simplified some sentences, thank you for noticing.