PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop HP DV2104 install

jw1949
March 27th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 on an HP DV2104 laptop as a dual boot. The other partition is Windows Vista and we have had this laptop for almost 3 years. I believe that Win Skype did work once back at the beginning but then the webcam packed up and I was not able to get it to work again; subsequently, I had problems with the inbuilt mic and could only use Skype on ******* with an external USB VOIP phone and no webcam.

We are due to go abroad next week and my wife suggested, nay insisted, that I take the laptop back to the store and ask them to repair the webcam and the mic so that we can use Skype to call family at home while we are away. The store did get the webcam to work and demonstrated it to me, but said that there was a problem with the sound chip on the motherboard and suggested I buy and external USB sound card and plug in a mic !

I decided to install Ubuntu instead and in 24 hours, with much help from the forums and from the community documentation, Linux Skype was working - albeit to the test call site - with inbuilt mic, speakers and webcam.

It is brilliant - after some fiddling about the wireless card works fine and test of Skype worked beautifully - to the test call - with the inbuilt mic, the speakers and the webcam all online and working. I am astonished and delighted - Ubuntu 9.10 is most definitely very superior to Vista - everything worked almost first time.

duanedesign
March 27th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I love to hear stories like this. Thank you for taking the time to share a positive user experience. More often than not people are motivated by frustration and disgust when it comes to posting their experiences on the forums. Best of all the fix was free :)