PDA

View Full Version : bosses on facebook?

themarker0
March 27th, 2010, 03:37 AM
both just added me today :O Awkward...

CharlesA
March 27th, 2010, 04:01 AM
You know you don't have to accept, right? I know I wouldn't.

bwhite82
March 27th, 2010, 04:09 AM
You know you don't have to accept, right? I know I wouldn't.

Agreed. I've read too many horror stories of employees getting fired for what they post on Facebook. I would even make yourself private so that only friends can see you.

swoll1980
March 27th, 2010, 04:09 AM
You decline, and tell them you don't mix work with your personal life. You're in a bad situation if you accept.

inobe
March 27th, 2010, 04:16 AM
accept them at the ubuntu forums, a useful social networking site ;)

Wiebelhaus
March 27th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Depends on how cool they are , My boss and I are pretty tight but do a very good job of keeping work & Personal life separate also he's not easily upset and very laid back as well as I've been there a very long time. But if your not comfortable with it just do what the others have suggested and tell them you don't mix work and personal life which they will still know your giving an excuse but at least your being socially polite about it. On second thought , if they are out to judge you or try to pin you for something about your friends or personal life then you should probably move on anyway , you see what I'm saying?

Wiebelhaus
March 27th, 2010, 04:19 AM
accept them at the ubuntu forums, a useful social networking site ;)

haha +1

LowSky
March 27th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I recall this story of this guy who called out of work saying he was sick, then posted he was playing hookie and took many photos while at the beach using his phone which he uploaded instantly to his "spacebook" page. His boss thought it wasn't so funny and fired him by text message.

HappinessNow
March 27th, 2010, 05:18 AM
don't mix your personal and professional life...could you create an alternate account? one for personal use and one for professional use?

btw you could have set your privacy controls so they could not have found you or added you as a friend; if you leave you privacy controls that open then you need to be prepared for such things. I am a lot more stealth on Facebook, you can not even find me on facebook even if you know me, I usually have to make friend request sometimes a bother but I prefer not to be wide open.

steveneddy
March 27th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Either don't accept the friend request or create a "professional" account and don't let the personal account and Professional account mix.

Easy peasy.

inobe
March 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM
if your boss has a facebook account you have leverage ;)

thekanuk
March 27th, 2010, 07:35 AM
both just added me today :O Awkward...

That is awkward, I'd just ignore them. :D

Presto123
March 27th, 2010, 07:48 AM
My "bosses" are as much of friends as they are bosses. IMO, unless they're jerks, it's more fun to have them add you OR you add them as a constant reminder that they have to put up with you on a daily basis. :P

Just be mindful, if you add them if you consider them friends, to not ADMIT to playing hooky or other random derogatory remarks towards work.

HappinessNow
March 27th, 2010, 10:22 AM
That is awkward, I'd just ignore them. :D

...or you could simply block them. ;)

TheNessus
March 27th, 2010, 10:32 AM
ignoring a boss's friend request might seem too snobby.

Accept the bosses, but make them less authorized to see your stuff than others.

Berk
March 27th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I refused to add many of my old bosses from work, I had one boss as a friend but we were good friends anyway and if I did play hookie he'd get the full story anyway. :D The rest could go hang.

I wouldn't even accept family for a while, then my Nan started on facebook and added me as a friend, so I had a major clean up of my page and accepted her. ^^

Swagman
March 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Everyone should be able to have a good whinge about their job without fear of losing it.

It's a stress relief valve.

Don't accept your boss's invitation stating, as already mentioned, that you don't mix your work life with private life.

Gregorybekkers
March 27th, 2010, 11:18 AM
i don't know how ur bosses are....
i wouldn't mind.

_h_
March 27th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Delete Facebook, problem solved. :popcorn:

madnessjack
March 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Add them to a list. You can make it so they see only your info and not your wall. They've got you added (so not offended) and they think they've got all your dirt, but they haven't.

Easy :)

l.billon
March 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM
You decline, and tell them you don't mix work with your personal life. You're in a bad situation if you accept.

I would do the same.

themarker0
March 27th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Well one its coop so its not a real job, i get fired, i go to a different place, no huge biggie. Also they are very laid back. One of them we nicknamed the "diety" the other one teases everything. I'm almost sure this is a joke aswell. Anyways i did decline.

jflaker
March 27th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Add them to a new group...when you post, be sure to select which groups can or CAN NOT see the posts....

Here is where facebook groups come in handy!

swoll1980
March 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Add them to a new group...when you post, be sure to select which groups can or CAN NOT see the posts....

Here is where facebook groups come in handy!

That seems like a huge pain. Why not just say no? I'm sure your bosses have bosses that they're not Facebook friends with for the same reasons.

DZ*
March 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I never had a facebook account, however facebook somehow knows quite a lot about me. Today I got an invite from a friend who lives in another country and doesn't even speak English. The invite contained a list of English-speaking people though "whom I might know". And yes I do know most of them, and there is no way my foreign friend communicates with or knows these people (my local friends, past and present coworkers, etc.). I can only speculate that perhaps the way this works is that facebook somehow has access to email contacts of people using certain web-based email providers and does some sort of adjacency matrix analysis in the spirit of PageRank (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank). Whatever it is, that doesn't make me want to join facebook.

themarker0
March 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
That seems like a huge pain. Why not just say no? I'm sure your bosses have bosses that they're not Facebook friends with for the same reasons.

Actually no, the head boss isn't on facebook, we were talking about it one day.

RabbitWho
March 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM
mine is on it.

hopefully he won't realize I'm on it too until I'm working somewhere else and I can just refuse his request. I really have to delete all his contact details so I never get drunk and explain to him that literally every problem he has is his own fault and why.

but the thing is I'm not really on facebook.. i've uploaded 1 picture and it's of some eggs.
it's just linked to my twitter, and all i post on twitter is links to interesting websites. So it doesn't really matter.

sgosnell
March 27th, 2010, 11:38 PM
My boss is not my friend, he's my boss. The two are mutually exclusive. No matter how friendly we might be, someday he may have to make decisions about my employment, and those decisions should never be made on the basis of my religion, politics, or anything else in my private life. And if he has access to my Facebook account, he will have access to those things, and they might influence his decisions. Thus, he is not my friend on Facebook, and will never be. He has sent a couple of friend requests, but I ignored them, and if he asks, I'll tell him exactly what I've just said. He's my boss, not my friend, and that's the end of that.

Wiebelhaus
March 27th, 2010, 11:40 PM
My boss is not my friend, he's my boss. The two are mutually exclusive. No matter how friendly we might be, someday he may have to make decisions about my employment, and those decisions should never be made on the basis of my religion, politics, or anything else in my private life. And if he has access to my Facebook account, he will have access to those things, and they might influence his decisions. Thus, he is not my friend on Facebook, and will never be. He has sent a couple of friend requests, but I ignored them, and if he asks, I'll tell him exactly what I've just said. He's my boss, not my friend, and that's the end of that.

That's not a bad policy and I like your honesty.

avaralom
March 28th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I'm pretty sure that my boss doesn't know the first thing about facebook, let alone computers in general. She's made that pretty clear. As for anyone else at work, I'd probably add them to a work list. Not that there is anything incriminating on my facebook - I made sure to delete all of that when I graduated from college.

sgosnell
March 28th, 2010, 12:30 AM
You never, never know what might be incriminating under all possible circumstances. If your political views, your religion, or anything else doesn't exactly mirror someone else's views, that can be incriminating. If you're a teabagger, not a teabagger, liberal, conservative, Catholic, Jewish, Christian, atheist, or anything else, it might be incriminating. Everything you put on Facebook is open for the entire world to see, and the entire world might not like everything you post. That's the reality, and you need to understand that.

mips
March 28th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Stupid move, keep your private and work life separate.

sudoer541
March 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I stopped using facebook as soon as I found out that my personal info were exposed to the world to see!
I wanted to close my account, but I couldn't:o!!! So I just changed all my peronal info and I stopped using it! I think people should sue facebook for not allowing us to close our accounts cuz this violates my privacy!

is twitter any better in regards to privacy?

scouser73
March 28th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I stopped using facebook as soon as I found out that my personal info were exposed to the world to see!
I wanted to close my account, but I couldn't:o!!! So I just changed all my peronal info and I stopped using it! I think people should sue facebook for not allowing us to close our accounts cuz this violates my privacy!

is twitter any better in regards to privacy?

You can permanently delete your Facebook account nowdays: Permanently Delete Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=16929680703)

With Twitter, the user can have just a username, and you can choose who you add, and who to block.

inobe
March 28th, 2010, 08:31 AM
life is too important socializing with scam artists, all that just to yack with a boss.

supershin
April 24th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Firstly, just deny it. Don't mention it ever again. If it keeps coming, keep denying.

Secondly, you didn't mention it right? So the only problem now is if they mention it, eg, "I sent you a friend request, did you get it?" or "why aren't you accepting my friend request?".
So you tell them "I appreciate you sending me a friend request and I can't accept it." Nothing else.

Thirdly they ask why, tell them "don't mix personal and business" or "not for business use or professional contacts(interpret as people I met on the job)" something along those lines and then move along quickly "er i now remembered i have to do that report for you, lemme get on it"

and the NUMBER ONE FOOLPROOF method is to just not have a facebook account.

standingwave
April 24th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Delete Facebook, problem solved. :popcorn:+1

I don't get Facebook. It just seems so... binary: you're either someone's friend or not. It's bad enough figuring out who I want to cc or bcc on an email.

rudihawk
April 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
don't mix your personal and professional life...could you create an alternate account? one for personal use and one for professional use?

btw you could have set your privacy controls so they could not have found you or added you as a friend; if you leave you privacy controls that open then you need to be prepared for such things. I am a lot more stealth on Facebook, you can not even find me on facebook even if you know me, I usually have to make friend request sometimes a bother but I prefer not to be wide open.

+1

I am the same. :lolflag:

richs-lxh
April 24th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I use Facebook for family and close friends only. Then Fossunet (http://fossunet.com) for Linux/online buddies.

Also, applying filters to your "friends" on Facebook is a very good idea. I did this when I used to play Mafia Wars, nowadays, I try to stear clear of Facebook after revelations of privacy, microsoft connection, advertising, security, and the owner's past.

Having international friends and family means it is a good tool which happens to be popular. But as a Linux user I am very aware of its dangers, which I try to warn my Windows using friends and family about.

wipeout140
April 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM
basically on my facebook, i have only people i know in real life e.g. part time work,college and people went to school with, in groups

so different groups can see different things if i want - it works very well.