PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Switch from WUBI to Dedicated drive/partition

stewbaby
March 27th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Hi there. I have Jaunty installed as a WUBI install, and I now wish to give it space of its own. Can someone confirm that what I need to do is:

* backup/gzip from / down to an external location
* uninstall WUBI
* install the same Ubuntu version to its own partitions
* boot to and unzip backup to root
* reboot and be happy ;)

If not, would it be better to wait for 10.04 to do all this?

oldfred
March 27th, 2010, 05:39 AM
You do not need to backup root (/). All you settings and files are in /home.
If you have installed a lot of applications you can from synaptic or the command line export a list and reinstall that list. But you may install some older version when newer versions have replaced them. (I did this a version or two ago and reinstalled python 2.4 & 2.5 when only the newer 2.6 was needed, for example)

If you have space you can install the new version and mount the wubi root file and copy files directly over.

stewbaby
April 2nd, 2010, 11:02 PM
You do not need to backup root (/). All you settings and files are in /home.
If you have installed a lot of applications you can from synaptic or the command line export a list and reinstall that list. But you may install some older version when newer versions have replaced them. (I did this a version or two ago and reinstalled python 2.4 & 2.5 when only the newer 2.6 was needed, for example)

If you have space you can install the new version and mount the wubi root file and copy files directly over.

Thanks, but as I have a fully working WUBI install, and I pay arms legs and other limbs for my 'net connection , I didn't want to have to re-download everything. Can I simply move my WUBI install?

Stewbaby

bumanie
April 2nd, 2010, 11:10 PM
This may help http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html