PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to mount root

golfnut324
March 26th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Ok, I messed up. New to Linux and somehow got Ubuntu 9.10 set up dual boot on my Vista laptop. I installed it somehow off the live cd. Everything working fine and then I decided to update from the update manger to Ubuntu 10.04 (dummy me)! :oops:

Got half way through installation and system froze for more than an hour. Had to shut down computer. Now when I select to boot to Ubuntu, computer freezes with this message:

[ 1.068088] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)

Can anything, within reason, be done? Should I use windows to uninstall Ubuntu and then try to re-install? If so, can someone tell me how I might have setup dual boot off the live cd? Should I just flog myself?

Thanks so much for helping.

Craig

stlsaint
March 27th, 2010, 02:30 AM
You will need to point fstab to your new mount point for root. Overall i would suggest re-installing ubuntu 9.10 as a fresh install and waiting until 10.04 is fully released into production in April.

golfnut324
March 27th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Overall i would suggest re-installing ubuntu 9.10 as a fresh install and waiting until 10.04 is fully released into production in April.

Sounds like good advice. Should I work on the mbr as described in the links and un-install ubuntu, then re-install or just re-install from where I am?

Thanks

golfnut324
March 28th, 2010, 10:50 PM
You will need to point fstab to your new mount point for root. Overall i would suggest re-installing ubuntu 9.10 as a fresh install and waiting until 10.04 is fully released into production in April.

Just to follow-up, I came to the realization that I used wubi to install Ubuntu on my Vista machine. It was then a simple matter to reinstall using wubi and all was good again. Thanks for the help and sorry to be such a noob. Learning every day.