PDA

View Full Version : Noobboat

Failboat88
March 26th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I'm just starting to learn programming again. Back in Hikeschool I took one semester of some basic stuff. I think it was in c++ or something with a c in it.

Regardless I suck.

I'm interested to know if, starting to learn python, I should use IDLE? I just downloaded Lazarus and it looks legit. Does Lazarus work with Python source-code? Should I just start learning a different language?

I really just want some kind of ide or rad/ide that I can make simple programs with gui's, eventually, maybe something that runs on the net. I find this more interesting then typing... print "hello, world"

schauerlich
March 27th, 2010, 02:05 AM
You don't really need an IDE. Any decent editor (vim, emacs, kate, gedit) with the terminal should be fine.

Compyx
March 27th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Lazarus is an open source implementation of Borland's Delphi programming language, and Delphi is a sort of 'Visual Pascal'. It cannot be used with other programming languages (last time I checked).

Boa-constructor (sudo apt-get install boa-constructor) is an IDE for Python using the wxWidgets GUI toolkit, it can also be used as an IDE for C and C++. There's also SPE and Eric, both of which are available in the Ubuntu repositories.

But like schauerlich said, you don't need an IDE to write code, a decent text-editor in combination with a shell and perhaps a makefile will do. Any Linux or Unix system is and IDE in itself, it provides all the tools needed to write, debug, manage and document code.