PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] It installed yay!....but It didn't:(

Dubstin
March 26th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Ok I installed Ubuntu 10.04 (I've never used Ubuntu before)
During installation (from a iso live disc) It gave me an error
when it was 79% complete saying, failure to load apt something I should of wrote it down lol

But it said it finished with no problem, and I went to reboot and I I get this screen:

GNU GRUB VERSION 1.98-1ubuntu1

-Memory test (memtest86+)
-Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
-Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (on /dev/sdb1)

Ubuntu should be there shouldn't it?
I didn't do a dual boot or anything I clicked the box for "Erase entire disc and install Ubuntu"

Also If I click Windows XP it says:

error: no such device: 162cc1dc2cc1b751.
error: hd1, 1 cannot get C/H/S values.

Press any ket to continue.

Now I have 2 hard drives, this one is formatted, the other drive isn't in because it wouldn't install Ubuntu at all, wouldn't show the partitions in step 4 of 7 of the installation process.

Another odd thing, I have to have both hard drives in to boot from the cd, If I just use the formatted one (My current installation attempt) while booting from cd it goes to the Ubuntu loading screen and after about 15 minutes of watching white dots turn to red dots it freezes up.

System Specs:

2.4ghz sis645dx
2gb high density ram
80gb hd
Windows xp sp3 (Not anymore)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, you guys seem to be a really helpful and intelligent community.

Slim Odds
March 26th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I don't really understand how you expect a failed install to work correctly.

I'd try reinstalling until you get a 100% install.

Dubstin
March 26th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Yeah I've tried to install it three times now with 10.04, I'm downloading 8.04 in hopes that will work, every time I try to install it with 10.04 at 79% it gives me the same error, but continues installing anyways.

phillw
March 27th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah I've tried to install it three times now with 10.04, I'm downloading 8.04 in hopes that will work, every time I try to install it with 10.04 at 79% it gives me the same error, but continues installing anyways.

Hi, you will find that http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=377 is a much better area to ask about 10.04.

Thanks for attempting to test out 10.04, that forum will get you up and running.

We don't bite, honest :D

If you're having a problem with an install, please do md5 check the iso and the cd.

This links has the links back to the ubuntu documentation, along with a few tips that have been found to help --> http://community.vpolink.com/threads/1686-How-Do-I-Burn-A-Ubuntu-CD It's far too easy to get complacent and not check one of the steps.

Regards,

Phill.