PDA

View Full Version : Software is not sexy!

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Why do so many people describe software or themes as "sexy"? Are you really going to go to know-in-the-Biblical-sense a piece of software? Are you going to bed with an icon set?

Didn't think so.

Could we please stop this silliness? Not everything has to be about sex!

Instead, say what you mean: Symmetry? Balance? Spacing? Color scheme? Gradients? Relative sizes of objects/widgets?

armageddon08
March 26th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Why do so many people describe software or themes as "sexy"? Are you really going to go to know-in-the-Biblical-sense a piece of software? Are you going to bed with an icon set?

Didn't think so.

Instead, say what you mean: Symmetry? Balance? Spacing? Color scheme? Gradients? Relative sizes of objects/widgets?

Same reason you'd call a bike or an outfit sexy.......

kevin11951
March 26th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Are you really going to go to know-in-the-Biblical-sense a piece of software?

Best. Euphemism. Ever.

Paqman
March 26th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Well somebody obviously didn't eat their Metaphor-Os this morning.

doas777
March 26th, 2010, 07:34 PM
connotation and social implications of speach are interesting phenomena aren't they?

i won;t usually call software sexy, but I will occasionally call it "slick". of course I don;t mean that it is frictionally challenged however, and i would have no qualms about laughing in the face of any one who tried to correct me.

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Sexy (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn%3Fs%3Dsexy&ei=_f2sS5fKC8T_lgeWgcmQAQ&sa=X&oi=define&ct=&cd=1&ved=0CBQQpAMoAA&usg=AFQjCNGJUgT262Y6_RHptiV755V6c7Wg9g)

It is pretty damn silly. I guess some software could be literately sexy, but because of it's content, not what it looks like.

HermanAB
March 26th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Would you rather that software be sensuous?

Fondle your left mouse button OK.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 07:37 PM
say what you mean

Why do you have a signature that says "chix" then? ;/

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Why do you have a signature that says "chix" then? ;/

It's the literal name of the group: LinuxChix. See http://linuxchix.org

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 07:40 PM
It's just an expression..

J_Stanton
March 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM
this thread is not sexy.

Simian Man
March 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'm sorry if you can't wrap your mind around the fact that words can have more than one definition. I don't personally call many things sexy, but I understand that, when people do, they aren't implying they'd like to do anything physical to any of the bits on their disk.

Trying to impose your word usage upon others is lame.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
It's the literal name of the group: LinuxChix. See http://linuxchix.org

I am aware of this, but why not just say LinuxWomen? Chix = Chicks = Baby chickens.

Tristam Green
March 26th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Let's get bent out of shape at non-issues today!

Stop calling software "cool". It has no temperature whatsoever, so it cannot be cool or hot.

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I'm sorry if you can't wrap your mind around the fact that words can have more than one definition. I don't personally call many things sexy, but I understand that, when people do, they aren't implying they'd like to do anything physical to any of the bits on their disk.
Someone linked to the definition further up. All definitions of it had to do with sexual attraction.

Trying to impose your word usage upon others is lame.
Hello, ableism!

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 07:44 PM
They can totally be sexy, in the same way a car or a guitar or a great pair of shoes can be sexy and I mean it literally. Of course I can't have sexual intercourse with them. But that doesn't mean i can't intimately "know them".
I can stroke them and we can be together and i can feel that they are a part of me when I wear them or use them or play them or drive them. We become one. It's a very intimate thing and I feel sorry for you if you don't understand it.

I especially feel this way about shoes. A good pair of shoes is a work of art, a beautiful thing I could stare at (and have stared at) for hours.

Someone linked to the definition further up. All definitions of it had to do with sexual attraction.

Those very obviously did not include all definitions as they did not include my definition. Words are tools used to express ideas, and sexy very clearly expresses several different ideas.

The definition is included here:

http://www.wordnik.com/words/sexy

Not that that matters in the slightest because if you use a word and people understand what you meant by it then you have used it correctly.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Stop calling software "cool". It has no temperature whatsoever, so it cannot be cool or hot.

Stop calling software "neat", it isn't covered in dust.

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Stop calling software "neat", it isn't covered in dust.
Wouldn't that by definition make it neat?

sudoer541
March 26th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I am sure this thread like all threads here will get out of hand and will close in 3....2...1.....

MODDZZZZZZ! MODDZZZZZ!!!!

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 07:47 PM
They can totally be sexy, in the same way a car or a guitar or a great pair of shoes can be sexy and I mean it literally. Of course I can't have sexual intercourse with them. But that doesn't mean i can't intimately "know them".
I can stroke them and we can be together and i can feel that they are a part of me when I wear them or use them or play them or drive them. We become one. It's a very intimate thing and I feel sorry for you if you don't understand it.

I especially feel this way about shoes. A good pair of shoes is a work of art, a beautiful thing I could stare at (and have stared at) for hours.

You stroke shoes? :-s

koenn
March 26th, 2010, 07:49 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sexy

sex·y
–adjective,sex·i·er, sex·i·est.

concerned predominantly or excessively with sex; risqué: a sexy novel.
sexually interesting or exciting; radiating sexuality: the sexiest professor on campus.
excitingly appealing; glamorous: a sexy new car.

when people call software sexy, I assume they refer to sense #3.

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM

Cool (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn%3Fs%3Dcool&ei=kAGtS8K2GcT7lwfz-vG-AQ&sa=X&oi=define&ct=&cd=1&ved=0CBkQpAMoAA&usg=AFQjCNHO71ruHgljBudkMvrEWbf-sIla-Q) fashionable and attractive at the time; often skilled or socially adept) "he's a cool dude"; "that's cool"; "Mary's dress is really cool"; "it's not cool to arrive at a party too early

RabbitWho
You stroke shoes? :-s

Yup. Especially when they're new before they start to loose their shape.

_h_

Ubuntu is sexy.

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Yup. Especially when they're new before they start to loose their shape.

That's some kinky stuff you have going on there..

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Here's a video of Stephen Fry expressing it better than I can:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzMIKsrjcOI

Simian Man
March 26th, 2010, 07:52 PM
No, someone linked to a definition. More precisely, a subset of the possible definitions. Here is one (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sexy) that includes the definition most people would refer to when describing software as sexy. And I don't think that we even need a website or book somewhere to exhaustively list all of the valid definitions for a word. Language is alive!

Hello, ableism!

I really don't understand what you mean. Are you implying I'm discriminating against people who aren't able to understand informal usage of words??

tica vun
March 26th, 2010, 07:52 PM
OP has to be a troll.

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I really don't understand what you mean. Are you implying I'm discriminating against people who aren't able to understand informal usage of words??

I'm referring to your use of the word "lame." Using "lame" as an attack is no better than using "retarded" or "gay" as an attack.

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 07:56 PM

I think it would apply more to physical things. Car designers intentionally include styling into their cars that mimic the human form in an attempt to stimulate a sexual attraction.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 07:57 PM
OP has to be a troll.

OP has the ability to ban you. lol

Tristam Green
March 26th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Cool (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn%3Fs%3Dcool&ei=kAGtS8K2GcT7lwfz-vG-AQ&sa=X&oi=define&ct=&cd=1&ved=0CBkQpAMoAA&usg=AFQjCNHO71ruHgljBudkMvrEWbf-sIla-Q) fashionable and attractive at the time; often skilled or socially adept) "he's a cool dude"; "that's cool"; "Mary's dress is really cool"; "it's not cool to arrive at a party too early

woosh.

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 07:58 PM
OP has to be a troll.

Actually, I'm a mod here and rather sick of everything in the geek world being described in terms of sex appeal. This was really kicked off by this article (http://blog2beton.wordpress.com/2010/03/10/where-do-women-stand-in-the-linux-community/) being linked to in the Ubuntu Women subforum. The author says that having women involved will make the software sexy. No, it will not because software cannot be sexy, and I'd really appreciate if people would stop trying to coat computers in SEX all the time!

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I'd really appreciate if people would stop trying to coat computers in SEX all the time!

And I'd really appreciate it if you stopped trying to force your views on other people.

Simian Man
March 26th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'm referring to your use of the word "lame." Using "lame" as an attack is no better than using "retarded" or "gay" as an attack.

Oh right. I forgot I was dealing with Mr. Literal here. Hardly anybody uses "lame" to refer disabled people any more. That's like arguing that the phrase "Colored Pencils" is offensive to African Americans.

Tristam Green
Actually, I'm a mod here and rather sick of everything in the geek world being described in terms of sex appeal. This was really kicked off by this article (http://blog2beton.wordpress.com/2010/03/10/where-do-women-stand-in-the-linux-community/) being linked to in the Ubuntu Women subforum. The author says that having women involved will make the software sexy. No, it will not because software cannot be sexy, and I'd really appreciate if people would stop trying to coat computers in SEX all the time!

I'm a man involved in computers daily, and I like to think that I bring some sex appeal to the IT world. Women don't have to be the only "sexy" creatures!

/strike-a-pose

Maheriano
That's dope.

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Oh right. I forgot I was dealing with Mr. Literal here. Hardly anybody uses "lame" to refer disabled people any more. That's like arguing that the phrase "Colored Pencils" is offensive to African Americans.

I'm still not a man.

And that doesn't make it not-ableist language.

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 08:01 PM
This software is sexy.

[EDIT: NSFW image removed]

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I think it would apply more to physical things. Car designers intentionally include styling into their cars that mimic the human form in an attempt to stimulate a sexual attraction.

You don't that that our entire sense of what's attractive and aesthetically pleasing is deeply rooted in our subconscious sexual drive and the quest for surface perfection is a method of recognition of impurity in the things we seek? Really? That's unusual.

koenn
March 26th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I think it would apply more to physical things. Car designers intentionally include styling into their cars that mimic the human form.
So you're OK with going to know-in-the-Biblical-sense a physical object such as a car, but not with going to know-in-the-Biblical-sense a physical object such as an executable file ?

"sexy" in sense #3 did not say "mimicing the human form", anyway.

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 08:06 PM
So you're OK with going to know-in-the-Biblical-sense a physical object such as a car, but not with going to know-in-the-Biblical-sense a physical object such as an executable file ?

"sexy" in sense #3 did not say "mimicing the human form", anyway.

No, but perhaps a car can actually stimulate some subconscious sexual attraction.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 08:06 PM

Oh so this is one of those silly "I think people who find women attractive are engaged in a conspiracy against me and I search for signs of said conspiracy everywhere" things. It really took some mental summersaults for you to take someone calling a piece of software sexy as a personal insult to you, but you managed it! You deserve a medal!

Please don't pretend you're interested in the evolution of our language when it's really your own insecurity and shame that's the issue.

Nobody gives a crap if we're women or not, you shouldn't either.

*braces self *

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Oh so this is one of those silly "I think people who find women attractive are engaged in a conspiracy against me and I search for signs of said conspiracy everywhere" things. It really took some mental summersaults for you to take someone calling a piece of software sexy as a personal insult to you, but you managed it! You deserve a medal!
Actually it took approximately 0 mental summersaults. Hypersexualisation abounds. It's also thoroughly annoying.

But we've already been over the "RabbitWho likes the status quo and doesn't think the world should ever move forward" thing.

swoll1980
I don't really care. I just always thought it sounded over zealous to call software sexy. It's just my personal opinion. I thought that long before this post was ever started.

Simian Man
I'm still not a man.

Definition of "Mr.":

2. a title prefixed to a mock surname that is used to represent possession of a particular attribute, identity, etc., esp. in an idealized or excessive way: Mr. Democrat; Mr. Perfect; Mr. Macho.

:)

And that doesn't make it not-ableist language.

If you're going to be that sensitive, then prepare to be offended for most of your adult life.

Tristam Green
I can almost smell the closing for "excessive drama" and numerous infractions being doled out amongst the proles.

:-(

koenn

Your initial post did not provide that context - all people had to go by were those few lines in your OP.
I'm pretty sure that a similar OP by a non-mod would be considered trolling, an/or the thread would get closed for (the potential of) causing drama.

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 08:10 PM
If you're going to be that sensitive, then prepare to be offended for most of your adult life.

I think I get to call BINGO soon. How about, "don't be offensive"? Is that hard?

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM
No, but perhaps a car can actually stimulate some subconscious sexual attraction.

Perhaps software can. End of story. Any kind of beauty and excitement can create a feeling that verges on sexual. Those feelings aren't necessarily even linked with sexual intercourse, lets not forget all the weird things babies and young kids do that Freud was so obsessed with, i feel he misinterpreted it all but that's besides the point.
When someone is excited about something they experience all kinds of sensory feelings.

And millions of people obviously feel this way or this evolution in the use of the word wouldn't be taking place.

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Actually it took approximately 0 mental summersaults. Hypersexualisation abounds. It's also thoroughly annoying.

But we've already been over the "RabbitWho likes the status quo and doesn't think the world should ever move forward" thing.

You have to remember that sexy doesn't refer to a specific sex. It's no more feminine, then it is masculine.

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 08:12 PM

Asexual?

Tristam Green
March 26th, 2010, 08:14 PM
hypersensitivity should also be an easy thing to get over.

just sayin'.

(coming from a 27-year-old bald male who has endured baldy jokes since he was 23).

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I think I get to call BINGO soon. How about, "don't be offensive"? Is that hard?

No one was being offensive, most people wouldn't have found that offensive, or seen anything odd about it. You're looking for trouble and trying so hard to identify with a group. It's sad you're so eager to label yourself "girl" "geek". Persecution complex etc etc.
Gender means nothing. Just another label, femininity and masculinity are not gender specific and change from person to person.

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM
End of story. .
A bit grandiose don't you think?

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM
You have to remember that sexy doesn't refer to a specific sex. It's no more feminine, then it is masculine.

In the specific post I quoted, women were the aim. Of course, objectifying men is no better than objectifying women. I don't see where I made that claim.

My point is that sex does not belong in this context, period, whether the speaker is male or female.

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
hypersensitivity should also be an easy thing to get over.

just sayin'.

(coming from a 27-year-old bald male who has endured baldy jokes since he was 23).

That fact that people can "get over" personal attacks doesn't justify the fact that they were made.

cladelpino
March 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
@ macogw : you're taking it on the usage of a word when you seem to be mad at a concept, which is, people trying to "coat computers in SEX all the time".

See, I don't know if you're saying that taking a cristhian-mothers-association point of view like "TV sells SEX all the time to our innocent young children" in which case I'd tell you : "That's because people want SEX all the time, including our young children"

OR: you're saying this taking a feminist posture: "WE ARE HUMAN BEINGS NOT SEX MACHINES", in which case I'd tell you: "WE MEN, WE WANT SEX", even if I personally strongly agree with women being treated in ways that are respectful to them.

If any of these is your case, then I think your struggling against men liking sex, and mmm... errr... sorry to tell you but that is a lost battle.

If your case is that you consider the use of the word "incorrect" then +1 to the simian man. Dictionarys and the such are past things, language runs ahead, ALWAYS.

Authors to recommend: Rorty, Davidson.

all of the above said with love and respect, seriously.

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 08:18 PM
In the specific post I quoted, women were the aim. Of course, objectifying men is no better than objectifying women. I don't see where I made that claim.

My point is that sex does not belong in this context, period, whether the speaker is male or female.

Maybe I was grasping at straws. It just seemed to me that it was a feminist issue you had. I apologize.

Tristam Green
March 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM
That fact that people can "get over" personal attacks doesn't justify the fact that they were made.

stop waffling. it's irritating.

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM
@ macogw : you're taking it on the usage of a word when you seem to be mad at a concept, which is, people trying to "coat computers in SEX all the time".

See, I don't know if you're saying that taking a cristhian-mothers-association point of view like "TV sells SEX all the time to our innocent young children" in which case I'd tell you : "That's because people want SEX all the time, including our young children"

OR: you're saying this taking a feminist posture: "WE ARE HUMAN BEINGS NOT SEX MACHINES", in which case I'd tell you: "WE MEN, WE WANT SEX", even if I personally strongly agree with women being treated in ways that are respectful to them.

As someone else said, yeah the software isn't sexy, only its content can be. It's pretty much that. (And for the record: I'm not a Christian)

And last I checked, the feminist response to "men like sex" was "so do women."

Simian Man
March 26th, 2010, 08:20 PM

I don't think the post objectified women at all. The way I read it was that women often-times have a good sense of design and feel for aesthetics and that their involvement in software development would perhaps lead to more attractive and, yes, sexy applications. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I agree with the Rabbit, you seem to have a strong persecution complex. Honestly, the word lame is used frequently in the sense I used and I've never heard anyone make the leap you did.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 08:22 PM

Je-saus jee-sause!
That's where your problem lies! Sexuality! you hate sexuality!

What a stereotype! I never met pretend-feminist who hated sexuality before but I heard about them on TV, i thought they were something feminist-hating men made up to make feminists look stupid. But no! Here is a real life one!

You don't even know what feminism and sexism are, i doubt you've ever experienced the feeling of either. You're just looking for a group to belong to and happily slap the label "geek" and "girl" on yourself and make sure everyone knows it too.

You think moving forward is denying our sexualities?

How on earth is calling a collection of abstract shapes "sexy" sexist!!!!??? No more than saying they're "pretty" or "beautiful"!

koenn
sex doesn't belong in this context - but there's more to "sexy" than just sex.
So maybe "sexy" does belong in this context.

TetsuoD
in which case I'd tell you : "That's because people want SEX all the time, including our young children"

Disturbing.

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Maybe I was grasping at straws. It just seemed to me that it was a feminist issue you had. I apologize.

It would be fair to say that I have a lot more practice at spotting hypersexualisation due to being more often on the receiving end of such things than the average man.

So how about folks give me a chance to get out of practice? ;-)

isaacj87
March 26th, 2010, 08:25 PM

I understand where you are coming from, but I wouldn't take it for somebody equating sex combined with computing. It's just modern slang for something being arousing or interesting. Yes, while I'm not a woman, I can understand why the article you mentioned could be off-putting. It isn't necessary to say it's sexy for women to be involved in Linux. Why not say, "it's good that females are broadening their computing horizons?"

But to be honest, to find a woman, such as my fiancée, who's interested in Linux is quite attractive. One might even say... (no, I won't say it ;)).

Giant Speck
This thread is not sexy.

TetsuoD
It would be fair to say that I have a lot more practice at spotting hypersexualisation due to being more often on the receiving end of such things than the average man.

So how about folks give me a chance to get out of practice? ;-)

You seem to be missing a very obvious point.

Sex = Attraction. Many things can be attractive or ugly.

RabbitWho
I don't think the post objectified women at all. The way I read it was that women often-times have a good sense of design and feel for aesthetics and that their involvement in software development would perhaps lead to more attractive and, yes, sexy applications. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I agree with the Rabbit, you seem to have a strong persecution complex. Honestly, the word lame is used frequently in the sense I used and I've never heard anyone make the leap you did.

Thanks for managing to stay calmer than I did and express the point better.
I admire that!

koenn
March 26th, 2010, 08:26 PM

... except, maybe, that it can be seen as stereotyping, something along the lines of "men make it work, then women make it pretty".
But that wasn't the point in the OP, it seems.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Wonder if OP would cross the line with the word GORGEOUS (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1384617) too?

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 08:28 PM
stop waffling. it's irritating.

The personal attacks have nothing to do with the issue. A personal attack does nothing to credit, or discredit some one's argument. By agreeing that the personal attack shouldn't have been made has nothing to do with my opinion on the topic. I already put my two sense in. I think it's over zealous to call a computer program sexy. That's the way I've always felt, and it's not going to change. Read the thread, and you will see it.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 08:28 PM

Yeah being a girl is soooooooooooooo hard I just cry myself to sleep every night. That's why I can't achieve better than wind-shield wipers.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 08:30 PM
The personal attacks have nothing to do with the issue. A personal attack does nothing to credit, or discredit some one's argument. By agreeing that the personal attack shouldn't have been made has nothing to do with my opinion on the topic. I already put my two sense in. I think it's over zealous to call a computer program sexy. That's the way I've always felt, and it's not going to change. Read the thread, and you will see it.

See it might be zealous to you but not to others, I mean how I feel about shoes is a bit over-zealous but I feel the same way about Franz Marc paintings or other great art. I think feeling that way about something could never be bad.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I have to agree with the OP.

This is not sexy.

But this is.

There is nothting sexy about this.
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7827/screenshotdoy.png

Certainly not, the focal point is centered, what were they thinking! That's the number one rule broken!
And i don't like the way they arranged the icons, it's a little silly, but at least they were trying.
3/5

Giant Speck
March 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I have to agree with the OP.

There is nothting "sexy" about this.
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7827/screenshotdoy.png

I don't know; if you look closely enough, it kind of looks like cleavage. :P

lisati
March 26th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Please don't get me started on a desire expressed by some people to kick my donkey when they're referring to the body part I sit on! The word I grew up with for that body part is the one used by Audrey Hepburn in the movie "My Fair Lady" in the scene at the race track - it rhymes with "pass" (sort of) but has a different spelling.

connotation and social implications of speach are interesting phenomena aren't they?

I agree totally!

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 26th, 2010, 08:33 PM
This thread is sexy!!! =P~

PS. I'm referring to the OP and not the pics of scantily clad females littered throughout.

PuddingKnife
Just saw this silly thread, didnt bother to read the 8 preceding pages, but I thought I'd just say that I reserve the right to call anything I like sexy, or any other adjective that suits my needs.

So there.

koenn
"cleavage is in the eye of the beholder" ?

cladelpino
@koenn:

stereotypes are around because of something. You really think most men and women have the same "beautyficating" skills ? I know women can do a fantastic job at that, so do many men, but it would be unrealistic to say they share skills and dedication. It would be immature to conclude that women should be left to beauty and men to "work", of course.

But we are not the same!!!

We got to learn to live with each other (men & women, "ables & unables", different races, religions, etc) not because "we are the same" (BECAUSE WE'RE NOT!) but because we deserve solidarity with each other. Basing respect on being the same allows these discriminations to perpetuate.

Shibblet

Nice. LOL.

Hypocrite.

How do you figure? Sexist, maybe. Pervert, possible. But Hypocrite?

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 08:35 PM
How do you figure? Sexist, maybe. Pervert, possible. But Hypocrite?

Because you agreed with the OP, and then turned around and did exactly the opposite. That's being a hypocrite.

sudoer541
March 26th, 2010, 08:37 PM
As I predicted!!! this thread is going out of hand!!!!

MODDDDDDDDDDZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! MODDDDDDZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 08:38 PM

MODDDDDDDDDDZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! MODDDDDDZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sexy.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 26th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Maybe we'll all get banned! :popcorn:

I wonder if a mod is going to come say something clever when they close the thread??

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Oh yeah!

lets all post pictures of things we think are sexy.

These are sexy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbitwhoruns/3329888089/

I spent a good five minutes drooling by the shop window, I think if it hadn't been minus 5 degrees I would still be there. I'd never wear anything like that though. I'd just keep them in my room and stare at them.

koenn
@koenn:

I know that.

The actual point that I was trying to make is that I could understand how someone might find that article offensive, but not how it would lead to such a tirade against the use of the word "sexy".

That's all. Don't infer anything more.

_h_

How about instead of spamming like this, use the report button like you've been told previously by a staff member.

Giant Speck
March 26th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Not sexy.
I agree. Totally not sexy.

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2010, 08:40 PM

Didn't think so.

It is just a term of speech that has become common usage in english. It is what makes English a colourful living language.

Lets not take life so seriously so we risk making life so boring.

Shibblet
March 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Because you agreed with the OP, and then turned around and did exactly the opposite. That's being a hypocrite.

I agreed with the op saying that Ubuntu Desktop Themes don't fall into a "sexy" category.

Whereas woman in bikini, however subjective, at least falls into a "sexy" category. A bikini by itself, does not.

Tell you what. Do a google image search for "Sexy Desktop Theme", and they all have half-naked women or men on them.

The dictionary definition of Sexy does include "appealing or glamorous", so it "can" be accurate. It just doesn't sound right.

Shibblet
March 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Lets not take life so seriously so we risk making life so boring.

That's a good point.

lisati
March 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hello, another "Mr Literal" here..... Coloured? Black? No.... the people to whom these terms might have been applied in the past are first and foremost PEOPLE. (Side note: I consider "Black" inappropriate. "Brown" might be better for most.)

Maybe we'll all get banned! :popcorn:

I wonder if a mod is going to come say something clever when they close the thread??

I see there are a couple of mods involved in this thread, not just the OP. Perhaps this might trigger something for this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1425806).

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM
@koenn:

stereotypes are around because of something. You really think most men and women have the same "beautyficating" skills ? I know women can do a fantastic job at that, so do many men, but it would be unrealistic to say they share skills and dedication. It would be immature to conclude that women should be left to beauty and men to "work", of course.

But we are not the same!!!

We got to learn to live with each other (men & women, "ables & unables", different races, religions, etc) not because "we are the same" (BECAUSE WE'RE NOT!) but because we deserve solidarity with each other. Basing respect on being the same allows these discriminations to perpetuate.

Yeah we're different, but it depends on the person. There's no reason why a girl should have to go into computer engineering just to prove something, or any reason she should feel guilty for being a housewife, so long as whatever she does it's her choice and it's what she wants to do. There's also no reason why she should feel in the slightest bit strange being a computer engineer or an army officer any more than it's in the slightest bit strange for a boy to want to stay at home with the kids or be an interior designer or whatever he wants.

I said it before but I really do hate the idea that "feminine" and masculine" are gender specific. Feminine curves are awesome, I love them and I'm not gay, most women happen to have them but so do a lot of plants, but we don't call them "plant" curves. Everyone can be whatever they want and should ignore these stupid ideas of gender roles. If a man feels attracted to a woman he shouldn't feel ashamed or have to hide it, any more than a woman should or a gay man should feel for being attracted to a man. People are beautiful, we should appreciate each other and not go creating new problems and new boxes when there are enough problems and boxes as it is. Poverty, geography, religion, language, culture.
Gender does NOT go on that list. it is a NON issue in the west.

Domestic violence is an issue, it is not a gender-issue.
Rape is an issue, it is not a gender-issue.
Homophobia is an issue, it is not a gender-issue.

And yet everyone thinks those things are gender issues. For no reason except silly misconceptions as old as the words themselves.

This shoe is pretty sexy as well and I can afford it and own it and wear it which is a plus:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbitwhoruns/3055398971/in/set-72157612599789350/

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM
When I say a Car is sexy I sure as heck do not want to get intimate with it that is ridiculous and immature to think so. English is riddled with multiple meanings for the one word.

Good greif , crazyness people. Crazyness I say.

sudoer541
March 26th, 2010, 08:51 PM
When I say a Car is sexy I sure as heck do not want to get intimate with it that is ridiculous and immature to think so. English is riddled with multiple meanings for the one word.

Good greif , crazyness people. Crazyness I say.

uuuummmm there are pornographic picz on the previous page and we have kidz on this site as well, so uuuummm....

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 08:52 PM
uuuummmm there are pornographic picz on the previous page and we have kidz on this site as well, so uuuummm....

There is no pornography anywhere in this thread.

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Already cleaned up

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 08:54 PM

That's not pornography, it's a trip to the beach.

Shibblet
March 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah we're different, but it depends on the person. There's no reason why a girl should have to go into computer engineering just to prove something, or any reason she should feel guilty for being a housewife, so long as whatever she does it's her choice and it's what she wants to do. There's also no reason why she should feel in the slightest bit strange being a computer engineer or an army officer any more than it's in the slightest bit strange for a boy to want to stay at home with the kids or be an interior designer or whatever he wants.

I said it before but I really do hate the idea that "feminine" and masculine" are gender specific. Feminine curves are awesome, I love them and I'm not gay, most women happen to have them but so do a lot of plants, but we don't call them "plant" curves. Everyone can be whatever they want and should ignore these stupid ideas of gender roles. If a man feels attracted to a woman he shouldn't feel ashamed or have to hide it, any more than a woman should or a gay man should feel for being attracted to a man. People are beautiful, we should appreciate each other and not go creating new problems and new boxes when there are enough problems and boxes as it is. Poverty, geography, religion, language, culture.
Gender does NOT go on that list. it is a NON issue in the west.

Domestic violence is an issue, it is not a gender-issue.
Rape is an issue, it is not a gender-issue.
Homophobia is an issue, it is not a gender-issue.

And yet everyone thinks those things are gender issues. For no reason except silly misconceptions as old as the words themselves.

This shoe is pretty sexy as well and I can afford it and own it and wear it which is a plus:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbitwhoruns/3055398971/in/set-72157612599789350/

I agree with you. However, you made me feel bad for posting a picture of a girl in a bikini, and calling her sexy.

Now I am off to punish myself.

sudoer541
March 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM
That's not pornography, it's a trip to the beach.

OMG LOL it got deleted...lol

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I removed the Bikini Pics for safe for work reason. I would not describe them as pornographic.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 08:57 PM
FORKS

http://thinkinpictures.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/andre-kertesz_the_fork_1928_500px.jpg

Forks are a fine example of awesome sexy design. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't spent time pondering their fork and appreciating its shape. Go to your drawer now and realize how hard someone worked to design that beautiful functional and yes, sexy, shape.

If you read the history of forks as well it's pretty fascinating, they've gone through so many changes in history. They're originally from ancient Greece apparently. Those Greeks, they knew a thing or two about gender roles and identity I can tell you. They didn't manage to make things fair, but their mythology seriously hit on our subconscious ideas and definitions.

Simian Man
March 26th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Well said Rabbit (I meant your previous post, though the forks are interesting too :))

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I agree with you. However, you made me feel bad for posting a picture of a girl in a bikini, and calling her sexy.

Self-flagellation? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagellation)

DeadSuperHero

Didn't think so.

I maintain that the "sexual" aspect of a theme is not in and of itself sexual at all. Rather, it is an appreciation of aesthetic taste. Curves and gradients, when used properly, can give an application a decidedly "feminine" look, in the sense that "feminine" can be applied to an object.

Let's compare:

Feminine aesthetics:

http://www.mapds.com.au/newsletters/0807/iphone_home.gif

Masculine Aesthetics:
http://blastmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/zunehd.jpg

Case in point: the iPhone. What does it look like? Curves, light bevels, glass. Aesthetically pleasing. It's minimalistic and does indeed look sexy. Would I do something sexual with it? If I logically could, and it were sentient, perhaps.

Then we have the antithesis of the "feminine" definition of a sexy piece of design. Look at the Zune HD. It screams masculinity. Aluminum, sharp edges, straight lines. It resembles some kind of military weapon as opposed to just a piece of music hardware. Considering that the demographic of young males lining up to buy them, I maintain that this is intentional.

With all of this in mind, it is quite obvious that sexual appeal in aesthetics can be done in physical objects. Why, then, can it not be done in user interfaces?

It can be done, therefore software can be sexy.

On the contrary, our entire sociological hierarchy revolves around it. Perhaps it did not 100 years ago, but it certainly does now. From Hollywood movies to the very insults we throw at one another, sex is ever present. I'm quite frankly fine with this. Why is it such a big deal to you, exactly?

_h_
FORKS

http://thinkinpictures.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/andre-kertesz_the_fork_1928_500px.jpg

Sexy fork indeed. :3

doas777
March 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
a person regardless of gender in a bikini, is not pornography. this is not a subjective thing:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pornography
all three definitions require an action (a "behavior" in the first two, or an "act" in the third). a person standing still, cannot qualify. besides, by your assertion, every hanes catalog, or insert for JCpenny in the sunday newspaper that has a single image of a bra, would be pornographic.

now you may be offended by it (everything offends Someone), but that does not make it pornographic.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
a person regardless of gender in a bikini, is not pornography. this is not a subjective thing:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pornography
all three definitions require an action (a "behavior" in the first two, or an "act" in the third). a person standing still, cannot qualify. besides, by your assertion, every hanes catalog, or insert for JCpenny in the sunday newspaper that has a single image of a bra, would be pornographic..

There is even men in bathing suits and women in bikinis on billboards and signs as you drive down the highway or walk down the street.

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 09:02 PM
FORKS

Forks are a fine example of awesome sexy design. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't spent time pondering their fork and appreciating its shape. Go to your drawer now and realize how hard someone worked to design that beautiful functional and yes, sexy, shape.

If you read the history of forks as well it's pretty fascinating, they've gone through so many changes in history. They're originally from ancient Greece apparently. Those Greeks, they knew a thing or two about gender roles and identity I can tell you. They didn't manage to make things fair, but their mythology seriously hit on our subconscious ideas and definitions.

So sexy it's fork-able?

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2010, 09:04 PM
On Dictionary.com the third meaning of "sexy is

" excitingly appealing; glamorous: a sexy new car"

The Oxford English Dictionary

"very exciting or appealing."

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 09:05 PM
On Dictionary.com the third meaning of "sexy is

" excitingly appealing; glamorous: a sexy new car"

The Oxford English Dictionary

"very exciting or appealing."

So would you ever call a good looking dog sexy?

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 09:07 PM

In what sense do you mean dog?

RiceMonster
March 26th, 2010, 09:07 PM

In that context, it's usually applied to inanimate things.

Giant Speck
March 26th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Well, if you're a furry, then I suppose you would...

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Well, if you're a furry, then I suppose you would...

No brazilian for you!

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 09:13 PM

I think that greyhounds fit the criteria, but due to social associations and the other meaning of the word I would never call a greyhound sexy.

That's not an unusual linguistic thing, with any homophone or homograph where the meaning might not be obvious from the context another word is used instead wherever possible.

snip

Exactly!

Don't feel guilty; she was very pretty and she takes good care of her elderly father, who has very bad asthma, with the money she makes from those pictures. Lucky she is pretty so she can be a model and not a waitress. Being a waitress is the worst job ever.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 09:13 PM

A dog can be "exciting" and "appealing".

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'm trying to establish the ground rules here. So far things that are human, or things that are made to resemble human form can be sexy.

Giant Speck
March 26th, 2010, 09:17 PM

I don't know about exciting, but appealing works. I usually use the word beautiful (or cute, depending on the age and/or size of the dog).

Simian Man
March 26th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I'm trying to establish the ground rules here. So far things that are human, or things that are made to resemble human form can be sexy.

There are no "ground rules". That's the point: it's entirely subjective. I don't find dogs sexy, but some do. I find guitars, big cats, and hockey sticks sexy. Trying to make rules about this is impossible, it's just a reaction.

edit: and surfboards :)

RiceMonster
March 26th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I'm trying to establish the ground rules here.

Why? Does it really matter?

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I think that greyhounds fit the criteria, but due to social associations and the other meaning of the word I would never call a greyhound sexy.

Your views of sexiness seem to be geared towards things that are feminine in shape. Couldn't a rototiller be sexy in a masculine way. Large jaw line, broad shoulders, dominating stance.

lisati
March 26th, 2010, 09:21 PM

Do we need to be worried about stuff that might not be "family friendly" or "safe for work" here? :)

I wouldn't use the word "sexy" to describe a dog, but appreciate that there is a certain charm about some dogs.

doas777
March 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
someone thinks so.
I like the new avatar. from rune soilder louie?

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM

It apparently matters to the OP since she is flipping out about it for no apparent reason.

RiceMonster
March 26th, 2010, 09:23 PM
someone thinks so.
I like the new avatar. from rune soilder louie?

It's from Aria.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 09:23 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VRJgso9Cyew/Rssjm-IZzXI/AAAAAAAABqk/Q9rF3TcUC2Q/s400/stepanova29.jpg

Popova's geometic patterns were sexy.
She had one design, which I can't find on the internet, that definitely excited me to the point where i cried out in the middle of a library.

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 09:24 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VRJgso9Cyew/Rssjm-IZzXI/AAAAAAAABqk/Q9rF3TcUC2Q/s400/stepanova29.jpg

Popova's geometic patterns were sexy.
She had one design, which I can't find on the internet, that definitely excited me to the point where i cried out in the middle of a library.

Did you get a papercut?

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Did you get a sexy papercut?

Had to fix your post up for clarity and reference.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Your views of sexiness seem to be geared towards things that are feminine in shape. Couldn't a rototiller be sexy in a masculine way. Large jaw line, broad shoulders, dominating stance.

I'm sure he could be, not for me though. They're cute though, big awkward miserable lumps :) love them. It's different for everyone that's the thing.

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 09:27 PM

Call it a sociological experiment.

Giant Speck
March 26th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Call it a sociological experiment.

Oh, the classic "sociological experiment" response. Well done.

TetsuoD
Had to fix your post up for clarity and reference.

Thanks bro.. :P

koenn
Your views of sexiness seem to be geared towards things that are feminine in shape.
No, "sexy ~ feminine shape" is something you introduced in this discussion.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780980455236

swoll1980
March 26th, 2010, 09:33 PM

Me?

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Swoll if your sociology experiment is "what do humans find aestethically pleasing and why" i'm afraid the question has been asked literally billions of times and the answers are all around you on every single product and almost every single piece of art you have seen.

Sometimes something is so aesthetically pleasing that i experience physical joy, heart beats faster, chest feels tight, head spins, it gets difficult to breathe. This is quite normal and it's why people go to art galleries and why some people have even been known to break down and cry in front of paintings.

It's so odd that anyone could think physical stimulation and aesthetic appreciation are mutually exclusive things.

In swolls defense I think I remember that girl who thinks the world is out to get her introducing sexy = woman into the discussion, and from woman we got to feminine and masculine.

Shibblet
March 26th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Don't feel guilty; she was very pretty and she takes good care of her elderly father, who has very bad asthma, with the money she makes from those pictures. Lucky she is pretty so she can be a model and not a waitress. Being a waitress is the worst job ever.
You're bursting with creativity.

I don't know about that. Women find masculine shape to by sexy.

realzippy
March 26th, 2010, 09:38 PM
"The more load on your cpu, the more clothes she’ll lose."

sudo apt-get install hot-babe

from medibuntu repo

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I don't know about that. Women find masculine shape to by sexy.

1. That's over generalizing
2. We were speaking about design and I think had agreed that different people found different things sexy already.

something about creativity

You should hear my music watch my animations buy my etchings and read my book!

swoll1980
Swoll if your sociology experiment is "what do humans find aestethically pleasing and why" i'm afraid the question has been asked literally billions of times and the answers are all around you on every single product and almost every single piece of art you have seen.

Sometimes something is so aesthetically pleasing that i experience physical joy, heart beats faster, chest feels tight, head spins, it gets difficult to breathe. This is quite normal and it's why people go to art galleries and why some people have even been known to break down and cry in front of paintings.

It's so odd that anyone could think physical stimulation and aesthetic appreciation are mutually exclusive things.

In swolls defense I think I remember that girl who thinks the world is out to get her introducing sexy = woman into the discussion, and from woman we got to feminine and masculine.

More about when it's taboo to use the word. The way the OP, and I find it taboo to use the word to describe software, many including myself, would find it taboo to say. "Damn that dog is sexy"

Corfy

When you say "dog", are you referring to a four-legged animal, a person, a constellation, feet, a food, or a machine part? After all, the whole point of this thread is to be specific about what words you use to the point of ultra-political correctness.

A dog (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dog?r=75) can be...

1. a domesticated canid, Canis familiaris, bred in many varieties.
2. any carnivore of the dogfamily Canidae, having prominent canine teeth and, in the wild state, a long and slender muzzle, a deep-chested muscular body, a bushy tail, and large, erect ears.Compare canid.
3. the male of such an animal.
4. any of various animals resembling a dog.
5. a despicable man or youth.
6. Informal. a fellow in general: a lucky dog.
7. dogs, Slang. feet.
8. Slang.
a. something worthless or of extremely poor quality: That used car you bought is a dog.
b. an utter failure; flop: Critics say his new play is a dog.
9. Slang. an ugly, boring, or crude person.
10. Slang. hot dog.
11. (initial capital letter) Astronomy. either of two constellations, Canis Major or Canis Minor.
12. Machinery.
a. any of various mechanical devices, as for gripping or holding something.
b. a projection on a moving part for moving steadily or for tripping another part with which it engages.
13. Also called gripper, nipper. Metalworking. a device on a drawbench for drawing the work through the die.
14. a cramp binding together two timbers.
15. an iron bar driven into a stone or timber to provide a means of lifting it.
16. an andiron; firedog.
17. Meteorology. a sundog or fogdog.
18. a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter D.

That is just including the nouns. I left out the verbs and idioms.

So if you will tell me which definition you are referring to, I can better tell you if I find it sexy.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 09:41 PM
More about when it's taboo to use the word. The way the OP, and I find it taboo to use the word to describe software, many including myself, would find it taboo to say. "Damn that dog is sexy"

See my explanation about homophones and homographs.

chucky chuckaluck
March 26th, 2010, 09:42 PM

Didn't think so.

i've seen shoes that were a lot sexier than the woman wearing them. it's not such a stretch that someone else might find a similar, non-traditional affection for a nice piece of app.

schauerlich
March 26th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Posting in an epic thread

Rasa1111
March 26th, 2010, 09:46 PM
no i dont believe we can stop the 'silliness'. lol

after all..... now that im using Ubuntu, and have it tweaked just how i want it...

it IS damn sexy!!!

sexy does not have to be "sexual"... just because it shares 3 of the same letters.

typing that something is 'sexy' is much more efficient than typing "it looks really good" or " i really really like it"

we call this a metaphor.

perhaps the sillyness of ppl getting bent over nothing is silly as well. :)

Peace

Shibblet
March 26th, 2010, 09:47 PM
1. That's over generalizing.
Well, okay. But for the most part, it's true. There's a reason we generalize.

I think if you break everything down to specifics, like stated before. You're going to find that every person's idea of design, appeal, and sexiness to be different on different levels.

So the OP is right in his original statement, from a personal point of view. And so is everyone else, for that matter.

Nothing is absolute. (except that statement, LOL)

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM
no i dont believe we can stop the 'silliness'. lol

after all..... now that im using Ubuntu, and have it tweaked just how i want it...

it IS damn sexy!!!

sexy does not have to be "sexual"... just because it shares 3 of the same letters.

typing that something is 'sexy' is much more efficient than typing "it looks really good" or " i really really like it"

we call this a metaphor.

perhaps the sillyness of ppl getting bent over nothing is silly as well. :)

Peace

Horray! We've gotten to the point of the thread where no one bothers reading anything anyone else says and just posts their own opinion!

I might as well stop checking back now.

It was a nice discussion :) Well done all.

macogw
March 26th, 2010, 09:51 PM
So the OP is right in her original statement, from a personal point of view. And so is everyone else, for that matter.
FTFY

Worth adding as well, I think, that if you just say "sexy" that is totally useless feedback on the design. How do you know what element of the design was what people liked (so you can do more of that in future designs) if people don't *tell* you?

Rasa1111
March 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Horray! We've gotten to the point of the thread where no one bothers reading anything anyone else says and just posts their own opinion!

I might as well stop checking back now.

It was a nice discussion :) Well done all.

as it is a rather pointless thread..
I did not feel the need to read every post.
(though I did read many) :p

p.s.. a forum is a place for many things, one of which is posting your opinions.
(in case you were not aware) :KS

lien_meat
March 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Good gravy! Everyone needs to lighten up already!

It sad that when people try to express themselves and provide a valid viewpoint, like for instance having more females involved in software might make it more appealing, that someone has to be uptight about word usage and ruins what SHOULD have been thought of as flattery (Edit: to the designer).

All the person was likely trying to get across was that having different people (not all males in this specific case) involved in software make it so that it appeals (in this case maybe it was aestheticly, could have been usability-wise too) to more people.

Lets not turn this into anything else. You all know what was meant. They could have explained themselves better perhaps and said "more attractive" software, but the person in question took some liberty to express themselves in a more vibrant manner...and then someone decides that they aught to make a big deal out so something that should most likely have been as an enablement and the blessing of women to work with them on software, in order to add insight.

To anyone who has an issue with the person in question using the word sexy to describe ANYTHING in this manner, well shame on you, you're pathetic. Someday when you realize there is more to sex than the act, MAYBE it will make some sense to you. Until then, have a nice time coping with society.

RiceMonster
March 26th, 2010, 09:53 PM
FTFY

Worth adding as well, I think, that if you just say "sexy" that is totally useless feedback on the design. How do you know what element of the design was what people liked (so you can do more of that in future designs) if people don't *tell* you?

Based on this, I'm assuming you think simply saying "looks good" is bad as well?

You can't demand good feedback from everyone; it's unrealistic.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 09:53 PM
as it is a rather pointless thread..
I did not feel the need to read every post.
(though I did read many) :p

p.s.. a forum is a place for many things, one of which is posting your opinions.
(in case you were not aware) :KS

It is a place for discussion.
Reading one thread, mouthing off, seeing what other people thought of what you said... not a discussion. But thanks!

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 09:55 PM
FTFY

As usual you're dragging in completely unrelated things. Someone can say "sexy" and then give further feedback. They could say "looks good" and then say nothing else. You want to ban adjectives? is that it? Adjectives aren't helpful? They're holding people back and stopping us from "moving forward"
I see. No no you're right, that's perfectly resonable. Down with words like "good" "nice" "pretty" "sexy". They're "not helpful" oh wait.. helpful is an adjective.. this is terribly difficult.. difficult is an adjective...

Rasa1111
March 26th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Reading one thread, mouthing off, seeing what other people thought of what you said... not a discussion. But thanks!

uhh,..... right.

You enjoy yourself now.

koenn
March 26th, 2010, 09:57 PM
that girl who thinks the world is out to get her introducing sexy = woman into the discussion, and from woman we got to feminine and masculine.

The OP was something of "sexy ~ sex"

Then there was some posting that sexy could also be ~ excitingly appealing; glamorous

Somewhere near post #30, the latter is reduced to "mimicking the human form"

Me?
I missed a step, sorry. You introduced "mimicking|resembling the human form", not necessarily feminine.

phrostbyte
March 26th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Software might not be sexy, but I am. :guitar:

Shibblet
March 26th, 2010, 09:58 PM

Yep, the community cafe is THE place for opinions.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Good gravy! Everyone needs to lighten up already!

It sad that when people try to express themselves and provide a valid viewpoint, like for instance having more females involved in software might make it more appealing, that someone has to be uptight about word usage and ruins what SHOULD have been thought of as flattery.

All the person was likely trying to get across was that having different people (not all males in this specific case) involved in software make it so that it appeals (in this case maybe it was aestheticly, could have been usability-wise too) to more people.

Lets not turn this into anything else. You all know what was meant. They could have explained themselves better perhaps and said "more attractive" software, but the person in question took some liberty to express themselves in a more vibrant manner...and then someone decides that they aught to make a big deal out so something that should most likely have been as an enablement and the blessing of women to work with them on software, in order to add insight.

To anyone who has an issue with the person in question using the word sexy to describe ANYTHING in this manner, well shame on you, your pathetic. Someday when you realize there is more to sex than the act, MAYBE it will make some sense to you. Until then, have a nice time coping with society.

Agreed, but you should edit your post to clarify that calling a piece of software sexy is complimentary to the designer. That's what I think you meant, because for a second I thought you were actually saying that telling a stranger they were sexy would leave them doing anything other than fingering around in their pocket for their mobile phone so they could call 91 and wait to see if they'll need the next 1.

RabbitWho
March 26th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Anyway, would love to stay and chat but bed, gotta be up in four hours for a silly conference. I look forward to living in a big city so I don't have to get up early just to get to these things. Good night all.

phrostbyte
March 26th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I am curious though, what if someone was so intimidily attracted to a nice piece of software or hardware they wished to make sexual intercourse with that object? Even not considering the "glamorous/exciting" definition of sexy, wouldn't sexy be applicable? :p

I mean there are people who get married to inanimate objects. No joke.

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Anyway, would love to stay and chat but bed, gotta be up in four hours for a silly conference. I look forward to living in a big city so I don't have to get up early just to get to these things. Good night all.

Goodbye shoe fetish.

lien_meat
March 26th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Agreed, but you should edit your post to clarify that calling a piece of software sexy is complimentary to the designer. That's what I think you meant, because for a second I thought you were actually saying that telling a stranger they were sexy would leave them doing anything other than fingering around in their pocket for their mobile phone so they could call 91 and wait to see if they'll need the next 1.

Right, thanks for noticing that.

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I am curious though, what if someone was so intimidily attracted to a nice piece of software or hardware they wished to make sexual intercourse with that object? Even not considering the "glamorous/exciting" definition of sexy, wouldn't sexy be applicable? :p

Plenty of slots I guess.

USB 2.oh yes. :)

koenn
March 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM

when people refer to a design as sexy, the refer to the overall appearance / impression, not to specific elements. Also, it's usually not a recipe ("add some sexy element to make your design sexy" doesn't work)

I agree it's not the most accurate term, but if a lot of people say your product has a sexy design, it's probably going to be well received in the market.

Chronon
March 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
FTFY

Yes, but the same is true of very many adjectives. Beautiful also doesn't tell you anything specific about design elements.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 10:09 PM
2 pages gone by since I left and came back, and thread is still full of ****. ;/

doas777
March 26th, 2010, 10:10 PM
2 pages gone by since I left and came back, and thread is still full of ****. ;/
I wouldn't expect it to change significantly in the near future.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 10:11 PM

Actually to be more specific, thread is full of **** since post #1 (which was by the OP).

:/

phrostbyte
March 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM

You can't derail a thread that has been off the tracks the entire time.

lien_meat
March 26th, 2010, 10:15 PM

well of course it would be applicable in the more literal sense...but then we have a lot more to worry about than just word usage, don't we!? :P

On that note however...you females need to understand something:
Some poor, lonely guys are closer to their computers and software than they ever will be to a real woman. And (joking now) actually, computers do eschew certain qualities that are generally thought of to be feminine. For instance, computers never do what you think they are going to when you are depending on them. Computers will make you doubt your ability and worth whenever they see fit. And lastly, computers can be used to increase one's ego by showing it off to his friends. Honestly, that's a good chunk of the reasons that guys like women so much...sex is one of the only remaining ones. Maybe to some guys, computers/software REALLY IS actually sexy. Yeah, it's disturbing...but I could swear my girlfriend finds chocolate sexy in the literal sense....so....

schauerlich
March 26th, 2010, 10:15 PM
You can't derail a thread that has been off the tracks the entire time.

Just watch me!

**schauerlich starts posting pictures of ducks (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8268825&postcount=200)

Just kidding. :)

People will always be overly sensitive. It comes with identity politics and an entitlement culture.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Just watch me!

**schauerlich starts posting pictures of ducks (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8268825&postcount=200)

Just kidding. :)

People will always be overly sensitive. It comes with identity politics and an entitlement culture.

You're doing it wrong.

It's now about using chairs as straight edge rulers:

http://cheezpictureisunrelated.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/129135911163621543.jpg

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Sexy?
[EDIT: removed inappropriate image]

schauerlich
March 26th, 2010, 10:24 PM
a

sexy?

DO NOT WANT

realzippy
Sexy?

omg

realzippy
Sexy?

thread closed?

lien_meat
March 26th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Sexy?

SOMEONE will probably think so. :(

My goodness, I hope this picture isn't on your PC somewhere...ug...

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 10:33 PM

It's my wallpaper.

lien_meat
March 26th, 2010, 10:38 PM
It's my wallpaper.

I see...so you probably understand this thread better than the rest of us then...lol. (not dissing on you or anything)

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I see...so you probably understand this thread better than the rest of us then...lol. (not dissing on you or anything)

Yeah, something like that.

CJ Master
March 26th, 2010, 11:17 PM

Now I'm curious.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Now I'm curious.

It's probably best that you don't know.

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Now I'm curious.

Nothing exciting, just one of those random Mr Bean's face photoshopped onto some random chicks body pictures.

CharlesA
March 27th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Wow this thread got to 186 posts and it isn't closed yet.

I don't think I have anything to add that hasn't already been said. =/

Jaecyn42
March 27th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Perhaps I was mistaken (I am a bit new to the Ubuntu community), but I thought an implicit tenet of Ubuntu was Freedom of Self-Expression (within reason)?

If a forum mod is objecting so strongly to the creative use of an adjective (which in no way harms or insults anyone), perhaps I picked the wrong flavor?

Regenweald
March 27th, 2010, 01:59 AM

Didn't think so.

Appreciate the point of view. But like so many other things on the internet, you're going to have to let this one go.

dragos240
March 27th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Libsexy, the sexy library XD.

cariboo
March 27th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Enough is enough, this thread is closed.