PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update failure on .ICEauthority & separate /home

shy_guest
March 26th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I created a separate /home partition after installing Karmic on a new computer using this HowTo :

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

I copied all the files from /home/user using

find . -depth -print0 | sudo cpio --null --sparse -pvd /new/

On booting after the change, the new /home is correctly on a separate partition BUT during boot I get a message :

Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority

I checked and the ownership and permissions for /home/user/.ICEauthority are correct. The suggested remedy of deleting the file & waiting for it to be recreated doesn't work either.

But when I compare other hidden files in the new /home/user directory, quite a few now have their ownership changed to root.

& I am unable to connect to my external monitor because of a permission problem (probably connected).

Any ideas or suggestions ?

viralmeme
March 26th, 2010, 05:53 PM
when I compare other hidden files in the new /home/user directory, quite a few now have their ownership changed to root.

Boot from the Ubuntu Cd and try changing ownership and file permissions.

$chown -R user:group files
$chmod -R +rwx files

dbloom
April 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM
i just ran a clean install of 9.10 with separate /home partition, copied over my old files, and now have the exact same issue (w/.ICEauthority, etc).

were you able to resolve this? was it simply a permissions issue?

thanks.

shy_guest
May 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
This is not a solution - just the way it should be done.

I reinstalled rather than track down & change any files that didn't have the right settings/owner.

In the reinstall, I chose to partition manually & set the mount point /home on a separate partition from the mount point /.

Everything seems to work as it should.