PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Ad

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to share you with an Ubuntu ad I made.
Well, actually I'm a Mac user and I had Ubuntu before I actually got my Mac computer. Anyway, I just noticed that there are no ads for Ubuntu (well, not professional ones), so I made one.
I really like this OS, and it's kinda like a Mac for PC for me.

Ok, stop talking..
Enjoy it, and leave a comment if you can (:

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ZOaRJCWxM

NEW AD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8CD5egjsyk

You can find all ads by clicking here. (http://whateverusay.co.cc/?page_id=144) (Updates)

hydraulicjj
March 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Very nice. I like it a lot.

----------------
Now playing on YouTube: Ubuntu Ad (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/-/track/ubuntu+ad?locale=en-GB)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Very nice. I like it a lot.

----------------
Now playing on YouTube: Ubuntu Ad (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/-/track/ubuntu+ad?locale=en-GB)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Thank you (:

NightwishFan
March 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Very creative and it gets the point across well. With a little polish it could be excellent. I think I spotted some spell errors, but I am really tired. ;) I am not a grammar "pointer-outer" person, but just thought you should know.

Keep up the good work. If you like this sort of thing perhaps ask Canonical or the Ubuntu team how you can contribute. :D

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Very creative and it gets the point across well. With a little polish it could be excellent. I think I spotted some spell errors, but I am really tired. ;) I am not a grammar "pointer-outer" person, but just thought you should know.

Keep up the good work. If you like this sort of thing perhaps ask Canonical or the Ubuntu team how you can contribute. :D

Haha, thank you very much..
I'll do it! :D

DeadSuperHero
Overall, pretty great and simple, though the music doesn't quite seem to "fit" for me, as it is.

Also, I think you misspelled "Independent".

This might just prompt me to do my own ad, after all these years of putting it off.

ubername
Looks OK but you should see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Overall, pretty great and simple, though the music doesn't quite seem to "fit" for me, as it is.

Also, I think you misspelled "Independent".

This might just prompt me to do my own ad, after all these years of putting it off.

Ok, thanks.

Looks OK but you should see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand

Thank you. I'll make a new ad with the new design soon.

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Needs a little touchups here and there. The light grey colored font is extremely hard to read, and the ubuntu logo you used has this little gray vertical line on the bottom left corner.

NightwishFan
March 26th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Cool, please keep us posted. For now (if you did not already) please state in the video description that you do not own the ubuntu trademark and are unaffiliated. At least until you get Canonical permission. Just not to step on any copyright toes. Someone more in the know than me can advise you further.

philips
March 26th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Great video! You should make an for the Linux Foundation's "We're Linux" contest: http://video.linuxfoundation.org/contest/we-are-linux-superbowl-ad-contest
:popcorn:

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Needs a little touchups here and there. The light grey colored font is extremely hard to read, and the ubuntu logo you used has this little gray vertical line on the bottom left corner.

I'll remember that. Thanks.

Cool, please keep us posted. For now (if you did not already) please state in the video description that you do not own the ubuntu trademark and are unaffiliated. At least until you get Canonical permission. Just not to step on any copyright toes. Someone more in the know than me can advise you further.

Ok. Thanks.

Great video! You should make an for the Linux Foundation's "We're Linux" contest: http://video.linuxfoundation.org/contest/we-are-linux-superbowl-ad-contest
:popcorn:

Sure, why not? :D

aklo
March 26th, 2010, 06:06 PM
The text is a little difficult to read.

I did not have my speaker on so not sure about the sound, also you might want to release a new version with the new ubuntu logo + text when ubuntu lucid lynx is released.
I won't worry too much about stepping on Cannonica's tail haha...afterall you are helping to promote it.

This ad is simple, clear and effective.

Good job.

K.L.
March 26th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I am not sure about the music, it doesn't fit, IMO. But your video is very nice, keep up the good work!

dchosenb
March 26th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Quite nice :) but a little too derivative, IMO :-k. Also, I do agree about the font being a tad too light / not enough contrast with the white background.

DedMoroz
March 26th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Lots of fun! Cant wait to see more :)

iRiUX
March 26th, 2010, 06:38 PM
There's a linux foundation competition for best ad. You should check it out.

sudoer541
March 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Well, actually I'm a Mac user and I had Ubuntu before I actually got my Mac computer. Anyway, I just noticed that there are no ads for Ubuntu (well, not professional ones), so I made one.

Ok, stop talking..

there is a bug at the end! there is something wrong with the ubuntu logo.
1) old design
2) looks like you copied and pasted the logo, and you can easily tell cuz it looks different.
3) the ad its to technical e.g. "operating system"

other than that its cool! what software u used to create the ad btw?

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM
NEW AD RELEASED!!!

CHECK IT OUT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8CD5egjsyk

NightwishFan
March 26th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Really great video work. I liked the old one a little better but adding the color was nice, though the color names were a bit confusing. Please note this is merely constructive criticism based on my opinions, I want you to make some great ads!

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
This time it's about customization.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8CD5egjsyk

Leave a comment and tell me what you think ... (:

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Really great video work. I liked the old one a little better but adding the color was nice, though the color names were a bit confusing. Please note this is merely constructive criticism based on my opinions, I want you to make some great ads!

And I really glad that you give me your opinions. That's a great way to learn what other people like. :)

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Extremely unprofessional font used.

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Pretty good, but it needs tightening up.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 26th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I REALLY like the video work but the ads are totally hoaky and subjective. Windows is customizable, windows is beautiful, windows is smart, windows is fast...

See what I mean? Try to come up with some things that actually make Ubuntu unique. The colors one made no sense at all to me.

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Extremely unprofessional font used.

What font you want me to use? Give examples please.

Pretty good, but it needs tightening up.

Explain yourself. I can't learn if you won't tell what to change.

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 08:40 PM
What font you want me to use? Give examples please.

Explain yourself. I can't learn if you won't tell what to change.

Hmmm, ok.

The flashing of the ubuntu logo at the end doesn't work for me.

NightwishFan
March 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Actually I liked it a lot more on the second view. Perhaps take out the orange flash on the logo, the smooth fade in of it sold me.

I think you could have kept this in the same topic though, there would be more people subscribed to view ;)

Really epic work, what program do you use if you do not mind me asking?

sudoer541
OMG!!! YOU'RE GOOD!!!! <---- and yes I am yelling cuz this is great!!!
good job!!! I like the music and the simplicity of it!!!
Can you show ubuntu's 10.04 features on your next ad?
btw what software do you use to make the ads?
I think Canonical should start looking for a talented people, like you!!!

good job!!!

arthur01022
I REALLY like the video work but the ads are totally hoaky and subjective. Windows is customizable, windows is beautiful, windows is smart, windows is fast...

See what I mean? Try to come up with some things that actually make Ubuntu unique. The colors one made no sense at all to me.

Windows is so not customizable, specially if you don't have Aero, and Windows is not beautiful if you don't have Aero (like I said before) , and Windows is not smart because it has a lots of viruses, and Windows is not fast like Ubuntu (especially if you have tons of viruses) .. See what I mean? I need you to give me ideas, I need you to tell me what's wrong and what to CHANGE. I can't think about what other's like. Just tell me!! TELL ME!

Lightstar
March 26th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Not for me

maybe if you had a slideshow of pictures from one of our many monthly desktop screenshot threads, it would work better than just flashing the color words and the logo at the end. We have so many different layouts and looks in the screenshot threads, it's a good way to show them the customizing.

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 08:45 PM

good job!!!

Indiscreet sarcasm?

Wiebelhaus
March 26th, 2010, 08:46 PM

Ok, stop talking..

NEW AD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8CD5egjsyk

I like it! We need to do something with that first one.

sudoer541
March 26th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Indiscreet sarcasm?

nope! cuz I wouldn't even bother posting if his work was unpleasant to see.

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Actually I liked it a lot more on the second view. Perhaps take out the orange flash on the logo, the smooth fade in of it sold me.

I think you could have kept this in the same topic though, there would be more people subscribed to view ;)

Really epic work, what program do you use if you do not mind me asking?

Thank you for your opinion. I use iMovie (yes, I'm a Mac user..haha)

good job!!!

Thank you so much! It's so great to hear that :)
Like I to NightWishFan, I use iMovie.

Lightstar
March 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM
The first link looks and feels friendly, I like it.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Windows is so not customizable, specially if you don't have Aero, and Windows is not beautiful if you don't have Aero (like I said before) , and Windows is not smart because it has a lots of viruses, and Windows is not fast like Ubuntu (especially if you have tons of viruses) .. See what I mean? I need you to give me ideas, I need you to tell me what's wrong and what to CHANGE. I can't think about what other's like. Just tell me!! TELL ME!
No, I don't see what you mean. If anything the most common complaint I hear is that Ubuntu apps don't look as good as Windows apps.

Those all sound like fanboy reasons for using Ubuntu to me. A good example of something that makes Ubuntu unique to linux is that it has an ssh client built in. This is what I'm talking about: substance, not fluff.

Shibblet
March 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM

Throw in some women in bikini's, some guys drinking beer, a penguin puppet who makes sarcastic remarks, and a sports celebrity. Now you have a commercial!

Seriously though. I really liked the design of the video. Simple, informative, and it flowed well.

The information might need a bit of refinement to be slightly more informative. Possibly something like "www.ubuntu.com" at the end with the logo, so if you ad works, people know where to go to find out more.

Keep up the good work dude.

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Not for me

maybe if you had a slideshow of pictures from one of our many monthly desktop screenshot threads, it would work better than just flashing the color words and the logo at the end. We have so many different layouts and looks in the screenshot threads, it's a good way to show them the customizing.

Thanks for your comment. I'll glad to do it for my next ad.
If you'll have any ideas, please contact me :)

nope! cuz I wouldn't even bother posting if his work was unpleasant to see.

Thank you again (:

TetsuoD
March 26th, 2010, 08:53 PM
If you'll have any ideas, please contact me :)

Why don't you make a thread asking for suggestions?

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 26th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Just to be clear. I really like the artistic style of the first video. I think you've got skill.

sudoer541
March 26th, 2010, 08:54 PM

no wonder lol! I thought you were using open shot or something.

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I like it! We need to do something with that first one.

Talk to me. What's the wrong with the first one? What to change? Say your opinion, and give me some ideas please.

The first link looks and feels friendly, I like it.

Thank you :)

No, I don't see what you mean. If anything the most common complaint I hear is that Ubuntu apps don't look as good as Windows apps.

.. So they didn't touch a Mac .. Hahaha ..
The second ad talking about that you can customize your Ubuntu like you want (and no, it's not work in Mac or Windows..in an easy way haha)

Those all sound like fanboy reasons for using Ubuntu to me. A good example of something that makes Ubuntu unique to linux is that it has an ssh client built in. This is what I'm talking about: substance, not fluff.

You actually think that people will see that Ubuntu has a SSH client built in and move to it?

Throw in some women in bikini's, some guys drinking beer, a penguin puppet who makes sarcastic remarks, and a sports celebrity. Now you have a commercial!

Seriously though. I really liked the design of the video. Simple, informative, and it flowed well.

The information might need a bit of refinement to be slightly more informative. Possibly something like "www.ubuntu.com" at the end with the logo, so if you ad works, people know where to go to find out more.

Haha.. Thank you so much. I'll add a link in my next ad (:

Keep up the good work dude.

Thank you so much! (:

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Just to be clear. I really like the artistic style of the first video. I think you've got skill.

Thanks (:
In my second video, I actually tried to do something more different..Something more colorful and not so elegant..

lien_meat
March 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I like it, however, I do agree screenshots somewhere or something would be nice. It's not apparent from the add that we are talking about an OS until the last little bit, and only then if someone knows what ubuntu or linux is...which is unlikely for so so so many people. It sounds kinda like an OS customization tool unless you know what linux or ubuntu is. But it IS a good add. and it will help get word out. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents about the ambiguity of the add though.

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 09:02 PM

no wonder lol! I thought you were using open shot or something.

haha, nope.. I'm a Mac user :P

I like it, however, I do agree screenshots somewhere or something would be nice. It's not apparent from the add that we are talking about an OS until the last little bit, and only then if someone knows what ubuntu or linux is...which is unlikely for so so so many people. It sounds kinda like an OS customization tool unless you know what linux or ubuntu is. But it IS a good add. and it will help get word out. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents about the ambiguity of the add though.

Thanks for your opinion. I'll remember that for my next ad (:

NightwishFan
March 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Perhaps use a word processor to keep a list of all the ideas you get, but leave all the ideas you do not like and just cross them out. That way you can see what progress you are making. Also make some visual mock-ups on a graphics editor for quick comparisons rather than a whole clip. Work your way incrementally to a newer ad. Keep the concepts similar and try not to bombard the viewers with visual candy. I would also like to see an add that explains what Ubuntu is. Such as..

Freedom.. Humanity.. Ubuntu, Linux For Human Beings. then display www.ubuntu.com below?

That is just an example, feel free to edit or add to it or scrap it, mark it in that list. :D

NightwishFan
March 26th, 2010, 09:18 PM
If you are serious about making some great stuff, and you seem to be, take the good with the bad. Grab at anything that can help you. Do not be discouraged by what does not. Keep it up.

I will be signing off, but good luck I hope to see anything you made when I am back. Most of all have fun!

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Perhaps use a word processor to keep a list of all the ideas you get, but leave all the ideas you do not like and just cross them out. That way you can see what progress you are making. Also make some visual mock-ups on a graphics editor for quick comparisons rather than a whole clip. Work your way incrementally to a newer ad. Keep the concepts similar and try not to bombard the viewers with visual candy. I would also like to see an add that explains what Ubuntu is. Such as..

Freedom.. Humanity.. Ubuntu, Linux For Human Beings. then display www.ubuntu.com below?

That is just an example, feel free to edit or add to it or scrap it, mark it in that list. :D

Thanks! You helped me a lot :)

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 09:24 PM
If you are serious about making some great stuff, and you seem to be, take the good with the bad. Grab at anything that can help you. Do not be discouraged by what does not. Keep it up.

I will be signing off, but good luck I hope to see anything you made when I am back. Most of all have fun!

Thank you so much! :)

Shibblet
March 26th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I love how positive these threads can be.

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 09:42 PM

Haha..

Wiebelhaus
March 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Yea , We need to lead by example and renew this place with a positive atmosphere.

ell02
March 26th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I like it,if it were on the television it would catch my eye because we allways mute commercials.Also if your trying to do a good thing for a good reason then just do your best and dont worry about the naysayers.
My 2 cent's.

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I like it,if it were on the television it would catch my eye because we allways mute commercials.Also if your trying to do a good thing for a good reason then just do your best and dont worry about the naysayers.
My 2 cent's.

Thanks (:

QwUo173Hy
March 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Yea , We need to lead by example and renew this place with a positive atmosphere.
I agree completely.

OP, your ad made me smile! It was fresh, punchy and stopped long before I got bored. (Do you do girlfriends too?)

Well done. I hope you keep us up to date with anything new you produce. I liked the music by the way.

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I agree completely.

OP, your ad made me smile! It was fresh, punchy and stopped long before I got bored. (Do you do girlfriends too?)

Well done. I hope you keep us up to date with anything new you produce. I liked the music by the way.

LOL thanks! (:

phrostbyte
March 26th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Very nice ad, nice font too. I think you did in fact spell something wrong though.

Simon17
March 26th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I have a couple of constructive criticisms:
You spelled "violet" wrong.
I think the color sequence should go like this:

What's your favorite color?
Orange?
Brown?
Orange?
Chocolate brown?
Orange?
Orange?

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Very nice ad, nice font too. I think you did in fact spell something wrong though.

Thank you.

And yes, I know ><

seth elohim
March 26th, 2010, 11:06 PM
i liked it :) i think we should all chip in a couple bucks ans get some network air time for it!!!

arthur01022
March 26th, 2010, 11:30 PM
i liked it :) i think we should all chip in a couple bucks ans get some network air time for it!!!

Haha, thanks!

there's the fixed version of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_9nuVmmLwI

arthur01022
March 27th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I have a couple of constructive criticisms:
You spelled "violet" wrong.
I think the color sequence should go like this:

What's your favorite color?
Orange?
Brown?
Orange?
Chocolate brown?
Orange?
Orange?

Oops, I didn't notice ><

arthur01022
March 27th, 2010, 09:47 AM
New ad released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m94dmkLqToc

arthur01022
March 27th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hey, I made my third ad, and I use some of your screenshots.
Let me know what you think about it.

Thanks.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m94dmkLqToc

overdrank
March 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Threads merged. :)

QwUo173Hy
March 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I've checked the two most recent - very nice!

dmizer
March 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hey, I made my third ad, and I use some of your screenshots.
Let me know what you think about it.

Thanks.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m94dmkLqToc

I'm really digging all of these actually. Some are better than others, but they are all quite good.

In this one though, use "this" instead of "that" unless you show the screenshot before the text. Like so:

[screenshot] Do you want an operating system that looks like that? [screenshot] What about that? [screenshot]
or
Do you want an operating system that looks like this? [screenshot] What about this? [screenshot] etc ...

Might consider throwing in a short compiz clip: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu%20compiz&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=vid:1&sa=N&tab=wv

Since these are screenshots instead of words, there's a lot of visual information to process, so the intervals in this video seem too short. I found myself replaying the video and pausing on each of the screenshots so I could see which ones you picked.

I love what you're doing. It's really simple and, I think, effective.

Groucho Marxist
March 27th, 2010, 05:36 PM
The value of the text color being light gray on a white background coupled with the rapid cross-fades made the text rather difficult to read. As a concept, however, it's an excellent way to broach the topic of effective Ubuntu electronic media promotions with fellow forum members.

NightwishFan
March 27th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Third one was truly epic in its style. The timing on the last part with the ubuntu logo was great. Perhaps make one that only shows a few simple things and not so many, such as:

Browse the web in efficiency and style
SCREENSHOT1
Customize to your hearts content (or similar that line is terrible)
SCREENSHOT2

Ubuntu; Linux for Human Beings (or what you did with the logo in the third one was awesome)

About iMovie, I have nothing against Mac users or using their tools. I hope our free tools improve like so in the future. For Video editing Kdenlive and Pitivi are really shaping up.

arthur01022
March 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM
You can find all ads here (http://whateverusay.co.cc/?page_id=144) (updates!!)

Onesimus
March 27th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I found that because the images were up for less than a second it just became a visual blurr of information. Far better for there to be a longer interval.

Having worked for a company that had a logo - they became nearly obsessive about having a margin of space around their logo, i.e. not having any text/images in that margin - otherwise it can detract from the logo.

You might want to think whether your last clip detracts from the logo - but it's your call.

Keep up the good work !

QwUo173Hy
March 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I thought it was good having them a little too fast. The viewer won't catch them all the first time, but will see some of them - implying that there is more to Ubuntu than you will see at first glance. That's an excellent note to leave the presentation at and it's also very true of Ubuntu.

NightwishFan
March 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
The above is true as well, actually. My opinion is coming from my liking of Ubuntu. The speedy ad is good as well, perhaps try either and see what you like more.
Edit: Just saw the system booting and tired of ones, funny but I do not know if Microsoft would let you air them. Very well done though.

Doctor Mike
March 27th, 2010, 08:51 PM
# 2 appeals. But people stuck in the no real option myth need spoon feeding. Very nice however. Where do I buy one.

themarker0
March 27th, 2010, 09:05 PM
bad music.

Shpongle
March 27th, 2010, 10:39 PM
just checked out some of the new ones , really good , keep it up :-)

maybe show the ubuntu link at the very end ??

Phrea
March 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Sir, you just got posted on Linuxers !

http://linuxers.org/article/every-seen-any-ubuntu-advertisement-check-these-out

Shibblet
March 31st, 2010, 02:43 AM
I absolutely love the ad! Great choice of music, great way of displaying the information, and definitely simple yet effective.

Although, have you noticed that the flashing text doesn't always stay on the same "line" in the middle of the screen? The part that says "Easy to Use" to be specific. It's bumped up the screen a bit.

madjr
March 31st, 2010, 04:46 AM
bad music.

totally disagree, well it's a matter of taste or mood

your ads are sweet potato!

keep em rolling

sudoer541
March 31st, 2010, 04:53 AM
you can publish your ads on TV btw click here!!!! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9053295#post9053295)

Uncle Spellbinder
March 31st, 2010, 05:26 AM
Is YouTube down? I'm having trouble seeing any of the links. Jut tried YouTube, never connects.

Uncle Spellbinder
March 31st, 2010, 05:52 AM
Yay! It's back. I'm absolutely loving these ads. Excellent work!

k33bz
March 31st, 2010, 06:42 AM
BOOKMARKED thanx