PDA

View Full Version : I figured it out!

kevin11951
March 26th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I figured out why Micosoft has a monopoly!

Think about it, why would best buy, and smaller stores sell windows? Why would businesses sell an operating system that drags the user back to the stores over and over to fix them?

This also explains why Microsoft never fixes their issues with viruses, malware, and all the other issues...

(yes, this whole post is tongue-in-cheek ;))

wojox
March 26th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Capitalism at it's finest. ;)

_h_
March 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Capitalism at it's finest. ;)

Indeed.

samalex
March 26th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I figured out why Micosoft has a monopoly!
-- SNIP --

Hi Kevin,

Not too many years ago I called Dell to see if I could purchase a system without Windows pre-loaded, and I made it all the way up to some senior manager before they told me Dell had a contractual agreement with Microsoft that they couldn't sell computers, or at least that line of computer, without Windows preloaded. Even telling them I had a credit card in hand ready to by a few dozen systems without Windows they still wouldn't do it (I didn't, but figured that was the only way for them to humor my request).

I then contacted another smaller vendor (/me looking through emails to see if I can remember who -- this is about 4-5 years ago) who sold both Windows and Linux systems. I asked why they had on their site that they "Recommend Windows" when they also sell Linux. The response was that that they had an agreement with MS that stated to get the discount for Windows they had to put that on their website and ads for the systems though their systems ran well under both Windows and Linux.

After this I started noticing that most vendors who sold Windows preloaded, even to this day, have "CompanyX Recommends Microsoft XXX".

So with this it's obvious that Microsoft has agreements with LOTS of vendors to not only sell, but also falsely claim that the vendor or PC would run better with Windows.

I personally stick with System76 (as do you I see) and other FOSS friendly vendors. I just wish more computer shops in my area (Central Texas) did the same.

Take care --

Sam

NightwishFan
March 26th, 2010, 05:51 PM
"CompanyX Recommends Microsoft XXX"

I dislike this severely.

tica vun
March 26th, 2010, 05:55 PM
In here, most local retailers also sell computers without a preloaded OS, or at least give you the option. All of the international chains, however, are windows only, perhaps with a couple of Linux-preloaded models that "work best with Windows!", or so they claim.