PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Failure While Running Update Manager

n4lbl
March 26th, 2010, 03:31 PM
While running the update manager my system froze and all that I knew to do was power down and power up again. When I first started the update said 18.5 MB and on restart it said 17.x MB. I restarted the update manager and it failed with errors.

The last message says "E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) A package failed to install. Trying to recover:" but no progress in 1/2 hour. If I try to copy the messages to the clipboard it says that cntl-c will abort the operation so I haven't done that.

From the top of the "Details" there are about eight "Invalid archive signature" messages. I don't know how to proceed.

Thanks for any help.

n4lbl
March 26th, 2010, 04:56 PM
In the absence of advice I hit "close" and then "check". There were 9 updates and 0KB to download.

The messages said: E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libgssapi-krb5-2_1.7dfsg~beta3-1ubuntu0.5_i386.deb: subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libkrb5-3_1.7dfsg~beta3-1ubuntu0.5_i386.deb: subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libkrb5support0_1.7dfsg~beta3-1ubuntu0.5_i386.deb: subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libk5crypto3_1.7dfsg~beta3-1ubuntu0.5_i386.deb: subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/app-install-data-commercial_12.9.10.3_all.deb: subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/app-install-data-partner_12.9.10.3_all.deb: subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/devicekit-disks_007-2ubuntu5_i386.deb: subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/landscape-common_1.4.4-0ubuntu0.9.10_i386.deb: subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libwbclient0_2%3a3.4.0-3ubuntu5.6_i386.deb: subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2

Then "Update is complete. Not all updates succeeded..." The "details" button does not work!!

Any ideas??

n4lbl
March 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM
"Details" button is OK. I hadn't hit "close" in another box.

I closed the update manager and restarted it with the same results. I have no idea of how to proceed.

n4lbl
March 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Is there a way to back out the changes and start over?? I assume that there must be but I don't see where.

thanx,,,,

n4lbl
March 26th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I restarted in recovery mode and ran (I think it said) "recover packages" or something like that. Didn't help.

Restarted in normal mode and ran update manager again. Since I didn't believe that "trying to recover" was true I tried to copy the content but control-d doesn't work as copy-to-clipboard.

The system boots and runs but obviously has errors. "Computer Janitor" finds nothing to clean up.

How do you back out maintenance?? Shall I boot the previous version?? If I did that what else must I do??

thanx,,,

n4lbl
March 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Any ideas??

I thought about apt-get -f install but don't understand enough. Is this a broken dependency problem?? If this is a dependency problem will this just clean-up and the Update Manager will pick up the pieces the next time I go thru "check"?? Is there possible harm doing this??

mac9416
March 27th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Hey, n4lbl,

I'm not particularly skilled in this area, but I will offer a suggestion with a bag of salt.

I am guessing that a package got corrupted when the download failed. To fix this, you can delete all package files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ by running...

$ sudo apt-get clean

Then try to run Update Manager again.

n4lbl
March 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Hey mac9416:

That sounded good, I read the man-page and I favor ionic bonds (the salt). It seems to have worked correctly. The update manager went after the nine missing entries but transferred 1 MB instead of zero (from the likely corrupted cache).

Many thanks!! I believe that you got it!!