Hi ,

I am running ubuntu 9.10 64 bit os with the following hardware :
Mobo : asus p5q pro
cpu : e8400
ram : 4 GB kingston ddr2
PDU : Zalmann 470 W

Storage : 4 x 1 TB in hardware raid 5.
OS disk : 150 GB 10K

Yesterday i swapped my graphical card , a XFX Geforce 9600 GT , for an ATI 5770.
Drivers and everything are successfully installed. After a while my mobo start beeping.

When i start windows and play a heavy game like BC2 or MW2 there are no issues.

Any body has a clue for this ?

Thanks .

dstew
March 26th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Does it only beep when running Ubuntu? Does Ubuntu (or Windows) run OK when the beeping is going on? Sometimes the beep may be an alert to a motherboard configuration problem. There might be some LEDs on the board that give you an error code, or maybe the pattern of beeps. You might check the Asus support forums (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20091230164851875&board_id=1&model=P5N-T+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us).

Cork87
March 26th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Hi ,

It is only beeping when i run ubuntu. Under windows no problems. Even not when i play battle field bad company 2.

Ubuntu stays usable and works fine. But the beep is really irritating.
I already checked the asus site but they only have problems during the boot sequence.

amsterdamharu
March 26th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Could it be overheating? Check your bios settings. I assume the video card has it's own cooling fan that might be controlled by the os. And might be wrongly controlled by Ubuntu.

Here is a thread I found with the opposite problem (fan is going out of control):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1314796

I don't see why you should manually set commands for the fan speed, the computer knows whet it's too hot and should adjust. Maybe the drivers aren't as good as they seem to be.

Cork87
March 27th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Well unless 46 degrees Celsius is overheating then it is possible ;) .
No everything works properly for some reason it just start to beep.
Maybe the PDU is not strong enough.