PDA

View Full Version : Making a bootable USB stick on a Mac

47of74
March 26th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I just got a new Acer Aspire One netbook that I just 9.10 installed on. It took a while to get it installed, mainly because of the trouble getting the netbook to boot from the USB stick. I followed the instructions (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick) on how to create a bootable USB stick from my primary laptop - a MacBook - but the netbook wouldn't boot from the USB disk and instead went into the Windows XP that was installed.

What I eventually wound up doing was copying the 9.10 ISO file on to the USB stick, putting the ISO file on the netbook, downloaded an ISO reader from Microsoft, and used the USB boot disk creator to make a bootable USB drive in order to install Ubuntu.

If I'm reading the instructions right it looks to me like the instructions are for the user who is going to install Ubuntu right on the Macintosh rather than taking the key to another computer. Is there another step or steps that need to be taken to make a USB stick usable by non Macintosh equipment?