PDA

View Full Version : Smaller font (lower DPI) = Better looking desktop

Luke has no name
March 26th, 2010, 06:28 AM
WHEN YOU VOTE, vote using your most frequent screen size. Feel free to talk about multiple monitors below.

Try this easy, reversible experiment before voting:

1) Go to System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts > Details...

2) Take note of the default DPI setting (I believe it is 96), then type in 85 and hit <Enter>.

Judge how the desktop and applications have improved or degraded in visual appeal. On my 15" laptop, it makes a WORLD of difference in how attractive the system looks and feels. I haven't yet tried it on my 22" monitor, but I surely will as soon as I get home.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 26th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I can't tell whether it looks better or not. The fonts don't look as good, but they crowd the menus less. I really wish gnome menu icons were smaller.

ic3man5
March 26th, 2010, 07:13 AM
DPI shouldn't be the same for every computer even though its the same nowadays. I'm going to go ahead and blame this one on windows since its always defaulted to 96 DPI. Xorg at one point defaulted to your correct DPI (If it could figure it out.) The problem with it was poorly coded software and websites where unreadable or looked horrible because of this. Software usually only had an issue when the DPI horizontal and vertical values weren't the same.

Psumi
March 26th, 2010, 08:49 AM
No, I have a medium screen (12" - 19")

--

Also, since I use the mini.iso, and not the default ubuntu installation, most instructions to follow menu breadcrumbs are useless for me. ;)

hessiess
March 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM
No, I have a 1920x1080(22") monitor, the default font size is next to imposable to reed, its much too small. I don't care for ascetics anyway, as it only waste screen space.

mintochris
March 26th, 2010, 11:36 AM
The difference is almost imperceptible. - 15.4" laptop screen