PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Is it possible to make each workspace unique in KDE?

hortstu
March 26th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I mean can I set up different Icons on the desktop of each workspace in KDE? Seems that a mirror image of each workspace is a waste. What do I need four identical workspaces for? I want 4,5, or 6 different ones for different types of tasks. No I don't care so much about wall paper.

Apparently this is impossible in Gnome.

lykwydchykyn
March 26th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Yes.

If you turn on "Different activity for each desktop" under "settings->desktop=>multiple desktops"

each desktop becomes independent, with its own wallpaper, widgets, etc.

hortstu
March 26th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Yes.

If you turn on "Different activity for each desktop" under "settings->desktop=>multiple desktops"

Thanks... sorry for the newbish question but is their an easy way to switch to KDE or do I have to install kubuntu as a seperate OS and then reset up everything?

Enigmapond
March 26th, 2010, 06:17 AM
KDE is not an OS, but a desktop environment. When you install KDE, you will have the option at the Login screen which session you want. Gnome or KDE.

TheSqueak
March 26th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks... sorry for the newbish question but is their an easy way to switch to KDE or do I have to install kubuntu as a seperate OS and then reset up everything?

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Then you should have KDE available as a session option on login

hortstu
March 26th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Great thanks for the help.

hortstu
March 26th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yes.

OK so I logged in with a kde session. Everything looks exactly the same. Where am I supposed to find this

settings->desktop=>multiple desktops

under compiz or system? I'm not finding these options anywhere

3Miro
March 26th, 2010, 06:09 PM
OK so I logged in with a kde session. Everything looks exactly the same. Where am I supposed to find this

On KDE 4.3 you need to click on the Cashew on the upper right corner and select zoom out. Then you can select some of the settings and use different activities per desktop. Here is more information:

http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ/HowTo

On KDE 4.3, this still doesn't work very well. There are some annoying bugs. On KDE 4.4, this has been fixed and activities can be controlled form the System Settings Menu.

lykwydchykyn
March 26th, 2010, 07:11 PM

You're probably going to have better luck using kwin under kde, not compiz.

For configuration, try the "system settings" tool, located in the menu.

hortstu
March 26th, 2010, 07:29 PM
There's no cashew in my upper left corner.

Should I uninstall compiz and install kwin?

On KDE 4.3 you need to click on the Cashew on the upper right corner and select zoom out. Then you can select some of the settings and use different activities per desktop. Here is more information:

http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ/HowTo

On KDE 4.3, this still doesn't work very well. There are some annoying bugs. On KDE 4.4, this has been fixed and activities can be controlled form the System Settings Menu.

lykwydchykyn
March 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM
There's no cashew in my upper left corner.

Should I uninstall compiz and install kwin?

You don't need to uninstall compiz, and kwin should be installed if you installed kubuntu-desktop.

Check in system settings:
Personal=>Default Applications

Select "window manager" and make sure it's set to default.

BTW what version of KDE did you install?

hortstu
March 27th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I appreciate all this help but none of the stuff anyone is describing seems right to me. This looks exactly like gnome did.

I chose kde in options. It said kubuntu instead of ubuntu when it loaded.

Across the top of my screen I have the same stuff I did before this...

applications, places, system, some quickstart icons, bluetooth, power mgmt, compiz internet signal, audio controls, time and date, logoff options.

How do I figure out which version of KDE I installed... by the way in case it's important i'm using hardy for at least another month.

You don't need to uninstall compiz, and kwin should be installed if you installed kubuntu-desktop.

Check in system settings:
Personal=>Default Applications

Select "window manager" and make sure it's set to default.

BTW what version of KDE did you install?

lykwydchykyn
March 27th, 2010, 03:20 AM
How do I figure out which version of KDE I installed... by the way in case it's important i'm using hardy for at least another month.

Well, that would make a difference... because what everyone is describing to you is KDE 4.3 or higher, and what you're getting on hardy by default is KDE 3.5.

AFAIK there is no way to accomplish what you want on KDE 3. I think KDE 4.0 might be available for Hardy, but it won't do what you want to do.

I assume you want to stick with LTS releases, so unless anyone knows of another DE that will do what you're asking, you'll have to wait until Lucid.

Enigmapond
March 27th, 2010, 04:08 AM
On the bottom of the login screen, there is I think a tab for session or settings and THIS is what you use to change the session desktop, It will also give you the option of making KDE the default session. Right now you are just logging straight in to the gnome session without changing it AT THE LOGIN SCREEN to KDE...I hope this helps...

hortstu
March 27th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Yes thanks that helped enigma.

I managed to get into KDE now but it seems the only reason to be here is to get used to it so that I can set this up the way I want when the next LTS is released.

It baffles me that this feature isn't standard in all DEs... otherwise what is the point of separate work spaces?

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll be back on this issue before May.

On the bottom of the login screen, there is I think a tab for session or settings and THIS is what you use to change the session desktop, It will also give you the option of making KDE the default session. Right now you are just logging straight in to the gnome session without changing it AT THE LOGIN SCREEN to KDE...I hope this helps...

lykwydchykyn
March 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Yes thanks that helped enigma.

I managed to get into KDE now but it seems the only reason to be here is to get used to it so that I can set this up the way I want when the next LTS is released.

It baffles me that this feature isn't standard in all DEs... otherwise what is the point of separate work spaces?

Traditionally, the point has been more to be able to work with a lot of windows without constantly minimizing them. It's nice particularly when you have multi-window apps like GIMP, or if your working on a project involving multiple applications and get suddenly interrupted with some other task.

hortstu
September 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM
So has this ever been developed by gnome? I'd prefer to stick with the DE I know but will reluctantly make the switch if someone can show me how to make it happen.