PDA

View Full Version : HTC EVO 4G: most awesomest Android phone to date!

oobuntoo
March 26th, 2010, 05:25 AM
This might be the best Android phone ever made. No, make that the best smartphone ever made, period!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/

I just might drop AT&T and go with Sprint. Anyone here a Sprint customer? How is Sprint service?

amitabhishek
March 26th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Wow! These HTC guys are making some of the most amazing phones.

Psumi
March 26th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Looks like a slightly smaller ELSE phone.

The ELSE phone is much cooler though.

the yawner
March 26th, 2010, 09:30 AM
This HTC guys should start setting shop in my area.

gnomeuser
March 26th, 2010, 11:55 AM
The form factor is very sexy, however I would happily trade a bit of thickness for the addition of a slide out hardware keyboard. It is my absolute favorite feature of my N900, it is so much nicer to use than the on screen Sense UI keyboard was on my Hero.

The screen looks very responsive and the design of the phone is great (all content, no chrome).

That being said, it looks like a very sexy device, I am sure owners will be happy with it. I hope HTC will commit to bringing out Android updates quicker though.

oobuntoo
March 26th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Looks like a slightly smaller ELSE phone.

The ELSE phone is much cooler though.

ELSE GUI is very cool, but the hardware specs cannot compare to HTC EVO. Here is what I like about EVO specs:

- 1GHz Snapdragon
- 1GB of built-in memory and 512MB of RAM
- 8GB microSD card included
- WiMAX 4G network
- 480 x 800 pixels resolution on 4.3-inch screen (ELSE phone has 3.5-inch screen, so EVO is bigger in size)
- 2 cameras: one is 1.3 MP webcam, other is 8MP camera capable of 720p video recording
- FM radio
- 3.5mm headphone connector
- HDMI out
- Android 2.1 with Sense UI

The only thing I nitpick about this phone is that it's not using super AMOLED display.

Giant Speck
March 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I've never wanted a non-iPhone phone so much. Too bad we don't have Sprint up here. I guess I'll have to see what the iPhone 4G will be like. I hope it's not an insignificant upgrade as was the 3GS.

NCLI
March 26th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Meh, I'm satisfied with my Nexus. I'll stick with Google and wait for them to release a phone with the dual-core Snapdragon, probably sometime next year(Yes, I am aware that the Nexus is manufactured by HTC, but Google decides on the software).

bignick
March 30th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Too bad you still won't be able to do voice and data at the same time with this phone.

bwhite82
March 30th, 2010, 05:25 AM
That is indeed one sweet phone. I just wish it would come to Verizon. But, knowing Verizon, they'll push out something sweet this summer to compete with the EVO and iPhone 4g. Competition is a good thing! I'm quite content with the Droid for now.

Also, never understood the whole data while talking thing, how does this work? Can anyone give me a scenario where this would be useful?? Sounds like an apple fanboi chiming in ^^. MANY arguments can be made against the iphone BTW, but thats not what this thread is about. Let keep on topic please and marvel at the drool-worthy EVO.

EDIT to add photo:

http://www.gadgetreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/HTC-EVO-on-Sprint.jpg

ve4cib
March 30th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I would happily trade a bit of thickness for the addition of a slide out hardware keyboard. It is my absolute favorite feature of my N900, it is so much nicer to use than the on [a touchscreen].

Agreed. I am a definite fan of the hardware keyboards. Yes, they eat up some space in your pocket, but who cares if your phone is an extra cm thick? Are your pockets really that tiny?

The camera specs are impressive though. 8MP? That's darned good for a phone. Heck, that's actually better than my Pentax camera! A lens cover would be nice on the phone though (again, borrowing from the N900).

oobuntoo
March 30th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I hear that you'll be allowed to tether up to 8 devices to this phone. I'm not sure if this is something that can be done on all Android phones or just this phone and Sprint. With the speed of 4G, this will become very handy away from home. 4G data plan could be really expensive, though.

HappinessNow
March 30th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Meh, I'm satisfied with my Nexus. I'll stick with Google and wait for them to release a phone with the dual-core Snapdragon, probably sometime next year(Yes, I am aware that the Nexus is manufactured by HTC, but Google decides on the software).
I am with you there, I love my Google Nexus One (ATT 3G version) the EVO is a bit too chunky for me.

I do like the dual cameras; I will wait for the next generation Nexus One and give my current Nexus One to my wife. :p

I am Sticking to the developers of the Android OS (Google) for all my smartphone needs from now on!

dargaud
March 30th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Does the tethering work with Linux PCs for when you want a 3G connection on the go ? On my HTC Hero it doesn't, or I couldn't get it to work as it appeared as an ndis device...

oobuntoo
March 30th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Does the tethering work with Linux PCs for when you want a 3G connection on the go ? On my HTC Hero it doesn't, or I couldn't get it to work as it appeared as an ndis device...

I personally have never tried it before, but there are a lot of people out there who claimed that it works with Linux via bluetooth or ubs. You might want to google it.

oobuntoo
March 30th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I am with you there, I love my Google Nexus One (ATT 3G version) the EVO is a bit too chunky for me.

I do like the dual cameras; I will wait for the next generation Nexus One and give my current Nexus One to my wife. :p

I am Sticking to the developers of the Android OS (Google) for all my smartphone needs from now on!

Judging from images I've found, they are almost the same size.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/htc-evo-4g-vs-iphone-vs-nexus-one-0/#2826097

gnomeuser
March 30th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Agreed. I am a definite fan of the hardware keyboards. Yes, they eat up some space in your pocket, but who cares if your phone is an extra cm thick? Are your pockets really that tiny?

The camera specs are impressive though. 8MP? That's darned good for a phone. Heck, that's actually better than my Pentax camera! A lens cover would be nice on the phone though (again, borrowing from the N900).

I think the N900 could do with being a bit thinner but more than that they need to move the connectors since their placement makes it hard to use the sexy keyboard while something is hooked up. This is especially annoying since it also affects the headset jack.

There is little evidence to prove that the 8 MP camera in the Evo 4G provides better pictures than 5 MP the N900 has in the real world. Firstly The Pogue experiment[1] compared cameras at different MP rates and found that few people can tell the difference, the judgement is that while not insignificant for purposes like cropping anything above 5-7 MP isn't going to do much good for the non-professional. Secondly the sensor isn't all that makes up the camera, and the N900 famously has a great Carl Zeiss optic and a protective cover to ensure long life.

I would love to see some comparisons between the two to better determine if there is an actual detectable difference, my money is on the casual user having a hard time doing better than chance picking out the 8 MP image. The interesting test would be to take the exact same picture with both phones and asking people to judge ina double blind test which is the best - here my money is on the N900 edging out as the winner due to it's high build quality and the relative lack of impact between a 5 and an 8 MP sensor.

[1] http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/technology/08pogue.html?_r=1 (may require bugmenot or registration)

andras artois
March 30th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I want one of these so bad.

HappinessNow
May 29th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Judging from images I've found, they are almost the same size.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/htc-evo-4g-vs-iphone-vs-nexus-one-0/#2826097

Almost isn't good enough :P, I wouldn't mind something thinner but I am very, very happy with my Nexus One and suspect I will keep it for years.

I would very much like increased megapixels on the camera, all though if I am just doing mobile uploads on Facebook, Picasa, and Photoshop.com it seems like over 5 megapixels is a bit overkill.

If I want to develop prints I'll use my DSLR.

kevdog
May 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Nexus one -- come on guys there is an admitted hardware glitch on that phone that forces calls to drop. This has been discussed on multiple android forums. Its a good phone, however propping it up as an example for other phones -- no way.

pwnst*r
May 29th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I want one of these so bad.

This Friday. Mine.

gnomeuser
May 29th, 2010, 05:13 PM
This Friday. Mine.

the interwebs demand pics.

formaldehyde_spoon
May 29th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Nexus one -- come on guys there is an admitted hardware glitch on that phone that forces calls to drop. This has been discussed on multiple android forums. Its a good phone, however propping it up as an example for other phones -- no way.

Never happened with my N1. I'm going to take a punt and assume you don't own one.

The N1 is a great phone, but obviously the Evo is better.

missilesilo
May 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Will the HTC EVO 4G be able to run Ubuntu? It would be nice because I have a monitor that has an HDMI input, and the EVO 4G has HDMI output. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and the EVO 4G has bluetooth support.

I know this probably won't work, but it seems possible.