PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous Message Service

derekeverett
March 26th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Many years ago now I remember hearing about a service that sent Anonymous e-mails to people. I don't recall the name of the service, but for some reason I was thinking about it today.

The idea was this. Say for example that you worked with somebody who didn't shower enough. You could log onto this website and have them send an anonymous email asking them to shower more often because others are noticing.

I believe they would have the option of responding and this service would essentially serve as the middle man, protecting your identity while the matter is discussed.

I still don't know what I think of that.

Obviously, there is a lot of potential for abuse and human nature unfortunately is to do exactly that. But I see the good that it could do as well. Could save a lot of people some embarrassment. And that would be on both sides. One person wouldn't stink anymore and the other wouldn't be embarrassed for bringing it up.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Nothing else to talk about I guess lol.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 26th, 2010, 04:43 AM
This service still exists. It's called creating a fake email account. I use one all the time to sign up for services that I know are going to send me spam.

derekeverett
March 26th, 2010, 05:47 AM
This service still exists. It's called creating a fake email account. I use one all the time to sign up for services that I know are going to send me spam.

Good point. Not really my point but a good one none the less.

cariboo
March 26th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Is this (http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html) what you're looking for?

lisati
March 26th, 2010, 05:57 AM
There's also this one (http://sneakemail.com/). They've recently started charging for their services.

sudoer541
March 26th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Many years ago now I remember hearing about a service that sent Anonymous e-mails to people. I don't recall the name of the service, but for some reason I was thinking about it today.

The idea was this. Say for example that you worked with somebody who didn't shower enough. You could log onto this website and have them send an anonymous email asking them to shower more often because others are noticing.

I believe they would have the option of responding and this service would essentially serve as the middle man, protecting your identity while the matter is discussed.

I still don't know what I think of that.

Obviously, there is a lot of potential for abuse and human nature unfortunately is to do exactly that. But I see the good that it could do as well. Could save a lot of people some embarrassment. And that would be on both sides. One person wouldn't stink anymore and the other wouldn't be embarrassed for bringing it up.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Nothing else to talk about I guess lol.

The nicest way to tell someone is dirty... give him soap as a present! he will get it and he might appreciate it.

...free soap!:p

d3v1150m471c
March 26th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Just sit next to him or talk to the individual then complain dramatically that there is a foul lingering scent in the area and inquire if he knows what it is. If he looks honestly clueless, rest assured he won't be showering. If he looks in contempt and/or changes the subject then you can probably assume he'll bathe shortly. "Inadvertently" passing guilt onto someone is a great way to change their behavior.

derekeverett
March 26th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I didn't even know those types of services existed! lol

I wasn't really looking for one but good to know.

Thanks

lisati
March 26th, 2010, 06:09 AM
The nicest way to tell someone is dirty... give him soap as a present! he will get it and he might appreciate it.

...free soap!:p

Thank you! So it was you who provided the free soap at work when my leg was in plaster and my personal hygiene left something to be desired as a consequence? :P

HermanAB
March 26th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I thought that is what Yahoo and Hotmail accounts are for...
;)

lisati
March 26th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I thought that is what Yahoo and Hotmail accounts are for...
;)

Come to think of it, I do remember seeing an option in one of my Yahoo accounts to create a temporary email address that's associated with your main Yahoo address.

derekeverett
March 26th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I'm not sure I made the point of this service completely clear.

It helped soften the blow. A fake email account etc. can be easily misunderstood as a prank.

This service explained a bit about what they did in outgoing emails. Went a long way to explain to people that nobody was out to hurt anybody's feelings etc.

I don't know, perhaps it is kind of pointless, and for all I know they didn't do very well but I thought it was an interesting idea.

Phrea
March 26th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Is this (http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html) what you're looking for?

That is SO handy ! :)