PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome-panel & gconf-editor

KozyMatt
March 25th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I use cairo-dock with systray, window list, etc which leaves me with no need to also have a panel on the screen.

After searching around a bit, I found I could effectively hide the last panel in gconf-editor (> apps > panel > toplevels > top_panel_screen0) by unchecking `expand` and setting `monitor` to 3.

This allowed me to keep the functionality of Alt+F1 (pulling up the menu from where my pointer is), Alt+F2 (Run Application), Print (Save Screenshot), and Alt+Print (Save Screenshot of window).

I recently upgraded one of my computers to 9.10 from 9.04. To my disappointment I found my empty panel had returned and setting `monitor` to 3 for the panel had no effect (reverted back to 0 immediately).

This is, honestly, unacceptable. I will not be forced into having a panel that I do not want and I will not discard the Alt+F1, Alt+F2, and Print Screen functions the panel provides.

Is there any way to achieve what I'm looking for?
Why did the gconf-editor workaround stop working with 9.10 when I've been using it since 8.04?

~Kozy

spiderbatdad
March 25th, 2010, 11:46 PM
It's a great question. Unfortunately I don't have a great answer!
gconf-editor, i believe, is a front end to gconftool-1. Ubuntu presently uses gconftool-2, though gconf-editor still has some functionality...it isn't 100%, more like 50%.
Maybe you can get something from the documentation: http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/

KozyMatt
March 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Using `gconftool-2 --get /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen0/monitor` outputs its value.

Then `gconftool-2 --set --type=int /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen0/monitor 3` changes that value to 3.

The change doesn't automatically revert back to 0, like it does with gconf-editor, but still acts as 0. Rebooting returns the value to 0 at any rate.

Ubuntu 9.04 appears to use gconf2 version 2.26.0 while 9.10 uses 2.28.0. Is this the offending package I should revert?

~Kozy

drs305
March 27th, 2010, 07:24 PM
In 9.10, can you not just right click the top panel and select "Delete panel"? Note this is only something to do if you really don't want the panel.

KozyMatt
March 29th, 2010, 09:26 AM
That will not work on the last panel. "Delete panel" is greyed out.

~Kozy