PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot connect to local network

AngelsJinx
March 25th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Hey guys, up until about four days ago connecting to the local LAN was as simple as booting Ubuntu, and letting nm-applet automatically connect on Auto Eth0
But the other day it just randomly stopped working, with no cause that I can think of. I can still connect to the internet (This is via a PPPOE connection, running through the same wired interface) so it can't be a hardware problem with the ethernet port/cables themselves.
nm-applet just stays spinning in circles, and nothing ever happens.
I tried deleting the auto Eth0 entry, and creating another LAN entry with exactly the same settings, but I still get the same problems.
Does anyone know of a way to completely restore nm-applet settings? Or some other way to give me access to the local network?

RedSingularity
March 25th, 2010, 10:17 PM
How about a fresh install of the nm-applet?

To purge all settings of it do the following.

sudo apt-get autoremove network-manager-gnome ; sudo apt-get purge network-manager-gnome

Then reinstall it.

AngelsJinx
March 26th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Ok, I tried the commands you suggested, restarted, and when I reinstalled it was as if nothing had changed.
So, I ran sudo apt-get clean
which cleared my apt-cache, then tried purging and reinstalling all over again.
I'm back to exactly where I was except heres the wierd part, nm-applet still remembers my pppoe connection.. so maybe configuration files weren't wiped at all?
I'm going to try purging and reinstalling network-manager now, so hopefully that fixes it.
I'll post back with my results when I'm done trying this, but if anyone else can think of anything, it'd be greatly appreciated.

AngelsJinx
March 26th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Well that solution sort of worked.
However, while nm-applet works perfectly fine to connect to the local network, I can no longer use my pppoe connection, which is required to get online.
So to access the internet I need to run:
sudo pon dsl-provider

While thats not to bad, I would really like to have a nice simple applet that lets me manage my connections. Does anyone know of an applet I could use instead?
I've heard in many places that the version of nm-applet maintained in the repo's doesn't work with PPPOE connections, but I'd hoped that would have been fixed by now.

Anyone able to provide a solution for me?