PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cluster question

deadlockedgamer
March 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I have an old compaq with an Intel celeron from the time of pentium 3 computers. It has 126mb of sdram. It is pretty useless, so I want to find a way to use it to ad a little extra processing power to the desktop I am currently using. It was top of the line amd back when p4 was fairly new. I was thinking of doing some sort of cluster and using it for my general use Ubuntu pc. What is the best way to do this?

KB1JWQ
March 25th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Not sure if it'd add much to it, but distcc could turn it into a compile farm.

The greater question is, "what computationally intensive tasks do you have that'd benefit from parallelization?

deadlockedgamer
March 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Blender would be nice!

deadlockedgamer
March 25th, 2010, 07:57 PM
It would also be cool if I could turn the whole computer into its own graphics card instead.:) Though I would need something better to connect it with and install a firmware on it lol so extra procesing would be nice!

KB1JWQ
March 25th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Not sure where they're at in terms of their clustering support.

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12003 gives some hints, but remember its age. Asking in that forum may be your best bet.

deadlockedgamer
March 25th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Is there anyway to have the other pc be seen as a second and slower proc? Have the os manage it and then blender just see it as a second thread?

KB1JWQ
March 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM
No.

It doesn't work that way, at least not yet. Try again in 5 years or so. :-)

deadlockedgamer
March 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
If not is there a way I could modify it to be a standalone n64 emulator. I am thinking a striped down linux that boots straight into a n64 emulation program! Of course then I have the problem with the video plugins for linux n64 emulators sucking but I am sure that could be solved!

deadlockedgamer
March 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I kinda hoped linux was five years ahead! :) lol